Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm a white West Virginia Republican, and I fail.

Teller

Favorite Gibbs "mini-era"  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Gibbs "mini-era"

• 1981-84: The Theismann era
    • 1985-88: The Schroeder/Williams era
    • 1989-92: The Rypien era
    • 2004-07: The Brunell era

Well there's the second time we've agreed. :)

Actually Henry, I've always viewed you as an independent. You sure as hell don't come across to me as a flaming lib by any stretch. And I know we've seen almost eye to eye on a handful of matters political.

I'm curious.

Is this the latest you've ever been uncommitted? It certainly is for me, and I don't like it.

I was on the fence in '04 for awhile. I supported the war for a long time and thought continuity was important. But ultimately I decided on Kerry a few months before the election as more of a protest vote for the way the war was being run than anything else. The decision wasn't nearly as tough as this one.

I was on the fence in '96 for awhile too. I liked Dole and Kemp. But again, I ended up deciding on Clinton well before this stage.

Other than that I've voted Democrat without much hand-wringing. I like to think of myself as an independent. But in the end I've voted Dem in every single Presidential election since I've been eligible, so I have to admit that makes me a liberal. Though in other elections (House, Senate, local) I vote for the GOP about 50% of the time, so maybe that counts for something.

So there's everything you've ever wanted to know about my political leanings and then some. :)

Here's a message for Beri Fox. Stop working in an industry for which there is no market. The government isn't here to ensure your success. It's like me saying that I run a company that sets tiles in a printing press. "Do you know how many printing presses there used to be?"

Yeah. Because glass isn't being used anymore, anywhere.

Wow. With this shocking turn of events I expect McCain's concession speech is hastily being prepared. ;)

The speech wrote itself when he selected Palin as his running mate. I suspect that this move of desperation was the one that pretty much cleared the room of most of us who were still undecided at the time.

Taking great liberties with historical hindsight, I actually think McCain would've been a better President than Bush II. Because of ill-timing, much like Bob Dole had, we'll likely never know if my projection would've come true.

Since 1976 I've voted one time for a non-Republican Presidential candidate (1992-Perot). Obama will be the second.

Well I thought this was interesting.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

That article is correct. People forget that Smalls states like West Virginia have a patience limit with candidates. Gore didn't pay much attention to our state, and we were just fed up with it because we were told we were going to do what the Dems think. McCain hasn't really been here since the Primary that I know of, not for a public rally. Palin, might have stopped in a border town between Ohio and PA, but I'm not positive on that. WV has two of the most Liberal Senators in Rockefeller and Byrd, so its highly possible WV could go Blue. Not saying I like the idea, but this election has taught me to be prepared for anything to happen.

Yeah. Because glass isn't being used anymore, anywhere.

Ok, smarty. It's just as simple as that, eh? It doesn't have anything to do with a flooded market, outdated technology, or the worlds highest corporate tax rates? The point is that if she (and the other 243 glass manufacturers) can't be nimble enough to convert her business to something that actually has a demand its somehow George Bush's fault?

The idea of American Free Enterprise is to guarantee you an opportunity not success.

There.

I said it.

And I mean it.

I've had hundreds of discussions with board members, and my good friend TLC, about this election over the last two years or so. And I kept finding myself saying, "I'm not voting for Obama, but...." and then praising one of his positions. I don't often find myself supporting John McCain.

I'll be frank. My lean toward Obama right now is not without great reservation, maybe even bordering on fear. I fear that he'll get to appoint two far-left leaning judges. I fear that the Second Amendment may well be overturned in the next four years. I fear that drastic government expansion will lead to drastic increases in the deficit and national debt. I fear that illegal immigration will continue it's out-of-control downhill spiral....etc, etc, etc.

But.

John (TLC) said something that resonated with me in a big way last night. He said, "Jason, what matters to you right now? Right this minute. Is it the Second Amendment?"

No. It's not.

What matters to me is being able to survive until my next paycheck. What matters to me is being able to finally get some source of affordable damned healthcare. What matters to me is getting Barack Obama's TAX CREDIT for religiously paying my child support. What matters to me is seeing Affirmative Action become need based, instead of race based. What matters to me is having the opportunity to go back to school, and being able to afford to live at the same time. What matters to me is a TAX CUT -- a formerly conservative idea -- to help me make ends meet.

I've made the mistake in past elections, I think, at looking too much at the "big picture," or at preserving traditional conservative values. And that's still important to me. I do think traditional values are something that should be upheld.

But ya know what? Conservatives values don't mean jack if you can't afford a roof over your head; or to go get a medical situation checked out. And so right now, right this minute, Barack Obama is the right choice for me.

I've taken a helluva beating at work today. I've been told, essentially, that I'm an idiot, and that I will be the downfall of this country. (Psh, how much further can we really fall?) I've listened to one colleague make a complete jackass of himself, saying that the presidential helicopters have been "flying the fried chicken and watermelon to Camp David all day. Hope they save ya some."

Another colleague said (not knowing about my new-found support for Obama) that he "should've followed a different career path." That he "should have been a sniper." So he could "fix everything come January."

Casting this vote -- if that's what I ultimately do -- is going to be very difficult for me. I'm voting against myself in a lot of far-reaching ways. I hope the man comes through on what he's promised in the near term.

Well based on your last two paragraphs there you have it. How anyone that isn't making millions even thinks about supporting McCain is not mentally together. We had 8 years of Bush running this country into the ground, 8 years of lies and deceit 8 years of pure crap, and now McCain wants to add another 4 years of it. Fact is if this country took more care into supporting our own and stop trying to police the world we wouldn't have the problems we do, however when we have men that feel they can dictate thier own demands onto every other nation we see the end result. I am so sick of this terrorism crap, what america needs to ask is how did they learn about terrorism in the first place, and then they need to go see what our meaning of "military advisors" are. If the goverment stopped crapping on nations it no longer views as allies or important maybe this country wouldn't be as widely hated as it is now. I hope Obama becomes president and I hope no one murders him, however I do actually think if he does win, some good ole boy and the racists senators will get him killed, too many good ole boys won't stand a "negro" running this country, they still have the mindset that the only good negro only plays sports or sings...:doh::2cents:

Well based on your last two paragraphs there you have it. How anyone that isn't making millions even thinks about supporting McCain is not mentally together. We had 8 years of Bush running this country into the ground, 8 years of lies and deceit 8 years of pure crap, and now McCain wants to add another 4 years of it. Fact is if this country took more care into supporting our own and stop trying to police the world we wouldn't have the problems we do, however when we have men that feel they can dictate thier own demands onto every other nation we see the end result. I am so sick of this terrorism crap, what america needs to ask is how did they learn about terrorism in the first place, and then they need to go see what our meaning of "military advisors" are. If the goverment stopped crapping on nations it no longer views as allies or important maybe this country wouldn't be as widely hated as it is now. I hope Obama becomes president and I hope no one murders him, however I do actually think if he does win, some good ole boy and the racists senators will get him killed, too many good ole boys won't stand a "negro" running this country, they still have the mindset that the only good negro only plays sports or sings...:doh::2cents:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111205/Recent-Obama-Surge-Evident-Among-Men-Less-Educated.aspx

What am I less educated because I believe that a black president can't do anymore of a bad job then Bush? Or is it because based on the last two paragraphs from the OP thread most good ole boys honestly believe that african american's aren't smart enough to lead this country? Sorry I don't need to go to a website to look at graphs. There are many people going to vote for Obama simply because he is black, but that isn't me. I can tell by the debates that McCain actually thinks he is superior to Obama and that feeble minded man needs to go get a clue, I personally think other than Jesus Christ coming and leading this country it doesn't matter who wins the election good ole Bush has screwed this country up to the point that it will take 8 terms to undo all Bush has done. If anyone believes this country will turn around quick is sadly mistaken. This country, the economy is FUBAR. :2cents:

You really should stop posting that over and over, or I'm going to be compelled to post this over and over:

Obama leads among those with some college (+16), college graduates (+14) and has his biggest lead among those with post-graduate education (+30).

http://www.marke****ch.com/news/story/obama-maintains-eight-point-lead/story.aspx?guid=%7B7CBB1C0D-DD32-47C1-947D-BAF3666752BA%7D&dist=hppr

:silly:

You really should stop posting that over and over, or I'm going to be compelled to post this over and over:

http://www.marke****ch.com/news/story/obama-maintains-eight-point-lead/story.aspx?guid=%7B7CBB1C0D-DD32-47C1-947D-BAF3666752BA%7D&dist=hppr

:silly:

It's a joke. And the one I posted actually contains the same breakdowns that the one you post does.

Of course, it is hard to judge trends based off a poll from August 18. I tried your link 3 times and got the same poll from 2 months ago

It's a joke. And the one I posted actually contains the same breakdowns that the one you post does.

Of course, it is hard to judge trends based off a poll from August 18. I tried your link 3 times and got the same poll from 2 months ago

My bad. I missed the fact that it was a sneaky dig at H_H.

Well, I'm all for that, so carry on. :D

Archived