Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm a white West Virginia Republican, and I fail.

Teller

Favorite Gibbs "mini-era"  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Gibbs "mini-era"

• 1981-84: The Theismann era
    • 1985-88: The Schroeder/Williams era
    • 1989-92: The Rypien era
    • 2004-07: The Brunell era

Did you accept your "handout" from George W. Bush when he signed his tax cuts and economic stimulus bills or no?

Yes, I did . . . but I didn't vote for him because of it. Look, I will TOTALLY benefit more with Obama in office. The difference between you and me is that I think redistribution of wealth is wrong(I thought you didn't like it either). I am against raising taxes on the rich. You can do anything you want in this country and be anything you want to be. Promoting mediocrity is basically what will occur.

h_h . . . I'm sorry this thread turned out this way.

No worries - I am still like to think I am a WVian at heart. However, a heavily pro-union state like WV should have voted for Obama over McCain easily. The fact that they didn't..suggests many things..the most prominent theory being that they didn't want a black man with a muslim name running the country. Shame.

editing because i've promised not to get mad at this garbage...

perhaps you should consider what unions are strong here. teachers union- guarantee wv teachers voted heavily for obama.

coal miners union- they could possibly be put off by obama not being interested in clean coal, and basically saying he'd like to tax coal plants very heavily.

coal is the lifeblood of most of west virginia. obama is not seen as a friend of coal.

but it must be bigotry.

Isn't your governor a dem though?

Yes, it'd Joe Manchin. I'm not sure about the rest of the state, but where I am originally from . . . there is immense progress and businesses are popping up everywhere. Manchin has done great things for the state.

Yes, I did . . . but I didn't vote for him because of it. Look, I will TOTALLY benefit more with Obama in office. The difference between you and me is that I think redistribution of wealth is wrong(I thought you didn't like it either). I am against raising taxes on the rich. You can do anything you want in this country and be anything you want to be. Promoting mediocrity is basically what will occur.

h_h . . . I'm sorry this thread turned out this way.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this at all. If you're making $250K a year, that is your reward.

Thanks for your service to your community and your country.

:cheers:

Well I did it to make sure we don't have a FLorida situation in my county. TO make sure people get to vote and that they arre conducted fairly, but I appreciate the thanks. It was exhausting work. Especially since we were in a Garage of sorts so sitting ina chair or standing on concrete between stitching each poll ticket wore me out.

Ironic that my parent's state (and the state I graduated college from) was faced with either electing a Catholic or a black man.

Something that, historically, the WV population has has contempt for. I wish the populous of that great state would learn to be more tolerant though. I see change happening (or should I say, I used to when I lived there)...but sometimes we WV'ians are still a thick bunch.

There are some powerful unions in the state, but a lot of places of high industry where you found Unions just aren't quite as big as they used to be. The Chemical industry for example is slowly disappearing. However I take exception with your saying that it was because McCain was Catholic, or because obama was Black.

West Virginians are intensely patriotic people. We've probably sent more of our sons to die in war per capita than just about any state except maybe NY I'd say. (that's a guess I'll admit) We see in McCain a leader with that kind of experience who is pro-gun, and that is very, very appealing to most WV residents. Another thing is the majority even among Democrats here are a bit more socially conservative now than elsewhere. How else can you explain so much pro-life legislation getting through a legislature that has been in the strangehold of democrats for more than 30 years. However, if people are voting against Obama, and not for McCain, It has likely very little to do with his color of Skin.

Consider this. in WV's Secretary of State race they had a Woman (Natalie Tennant), and an american of african descent (Charles Minimah) running. Look at the votes the two received:

DEM Natalie Tennant 434,082 65.53%

REP Charles Theophilus Minimah 228,335 34.47%

Now look at how many votes Minimah got? granted he lost, but that's still a third of the population. Now look at the percentage of votes for President cast in WV (before canvasing of course)

DEM Barack Hussein Obama 301,312 42.60%

REP John Sidney McCain III 393,987 55.71%

MTN Cynthia Ann McKinney 2,351 0.33%

U Ralph Nader 7,168 1.01%

C Charles Obadiah Baldwin 2,450 0.35%

Obama lost by only a slim 92675 votes. which in any other state would be the thinnest of percentages, if not for WV's falling population. SO I take exception to your belief that people were voting because of Obama's skin color against him. I think most West Virginians had two things on their mind. One was Character and qualifications, and the other, if there was another could be disgust at their super delgates, who cast their votes to Obama, instead of endorsing Hilary whom the state had nominated by a wide margin in the Democratic race.

editing because i've promised not to get mad at this garbage...

perhaps you should consider what unions are strong here. teachers union- guarantee wv teachers voted heavily for obama.

coal miners union- they could possibly be put off by obama not being interested in clean coal, and basically saying he'd like to tax coal plants very heavily.

coal is the lifeblood of most of west virginia. obama is not seen as a friend of coal.

but it must be bigotry.

Major is right. When Biden and Obama came out against Clean Coal, that put a lot of impetus against him. Coal is the life blood of our economy. Without it WV would be much smaller.

HH, don't think like that. Think of it like this.

In the last 2 years you have become more enlightened and learned so many new things that you previously were not aware of. Can you honestly say that you have not learned a **** load in the past 2 years because of this election? I know I've learned more then I ever expected. We are all ignorant to some degree, wether by choice, or without even realizing it. Now, you are less ignorant about the world around you then you were previously.

I personally think, you deserve to pat yourself on the back and say "hey, I did my homework. I know what of what I speak. I'm better for it today, then I was 2 years ago."

So please, no need to beat yourself up. It sucks, you didn't vote. But you INTENDED to vote, and that should count just as much to you.

Agreed. I considered myself to be relatively well informed. However, after researching some things that I had either taken for granted or discounted, I found out a lot of things about the GOP that quite frankly made me feel like a rube.

Given that voting is one of our most important duties as citizens, time spent educating yourself on the issues is never wasted. As I said, next time you'll know. Just make sure you have an absentee ballot on hand and if you get pinched for time you can fill it out and send it in.

As for cjc, I wonder if he'd be giving you the business if the tables were turned and you'd switched from Obama to McCain?

• 3 years later...

Okay HH

Give an honest assessment

Are you happy with the results that BO has delivered over the last 3+ years?

Do you in any way regret your vote?

What have you seen in the last 3+ years that has solidified your support for BO or has diminished your support of BO?

Okay HH

Give an honest assessment

Are you happy with the results that BO has delivered over the last 3+ years?

Do you in any way regret your vote?

What have you seen in the last 3+ years that has solidified your support for BO or has diminished your support of BO?

Seriously? Have you not seen HH comment on that a couple of hundred times (no dig at you HH) over the last year, with regularity? Did you not know you get a get a week off to spam-posts (rule 3) bumping old threads for no good reason? Every time I look at your user notes I wonder why you're still here (let along just the typical level of your "contribution" to discussions here). And there is already an existing, more recent thread on Obama's job performance to date, this should have been in.

Archived