Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm a white West Virginia Republican, and I fail.

Teller

Favorite Gibbs "mini-era"  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Gibbs "mini-era"

• 1981-84: The Theismann era
    • 1985-88: The Schroeder/Williams era
    • 1989-92: The Rypien era
    • 2004-07: The Brunell era

There.

I said it.

And I mean it.

I've had hundreds of discussions with board members, and my good friend TLC, about this election over the last two years or so. And I kept finding myself saying, "I'm not voting for Obama, but...." and then praising one of his positions. I don't often find myself supporting John McCain.

I'll be frank. My lean toward Obama right now is not without great reservation, maybe even bordering on fear. I fear that he'll get to appoint two far-left leaning judges. I fear that the Second Amendment may well be overturned in the next four years. I fear that drastic government expansion will lead to drastic increases in the deficit and national debt. I fear that illegal immigration will continue it's out-of-control downhill spiral....etc, etc, etc.

But.

John (TLC) said something that resonated with me in a big way last night. He said, "Jason, what matters to you right now? Right this minute. Is it the Second Amendment?"

No. It's not.

What matters to me is being able to survive until my next paycheck. What matters to me is being able to finally get some source of affordable damned healthcare. What matters to me is getting Barack Obama's TAX CREDIT for religiously paying my child support. What matters to me is seeing Affirmative Action become need based, instead of race based. What matters to me is having the opportunity to go back to school, and being able to afford to live at the same time. What matters to me is a TAX CUT -- a formerly conservative idea -- to help me make ends meet.

I've made the mistake in past elections, I think, at looking too much at the "big picture," or at preserving traditional conservative values. And that's still important to me. I do think traditional values are something that should be upheld.

But ya know what? Conservatives values don't mean jack if you can't afford a roof over your head; or to go get a medical situation checked out. And so right now, right this minute, Barack Obama is the right choice for me.

I've taken a helluva beating at work today. I've been told, essentially, that I'm an idiot, and that I will be the downfall of this country. (Psh, how much further can we really fall?) I've listened to one colleague make a complete jackass of himself, saying that the presidential helicopters have been "flying the fried chicken and watermelon to Camp David all day. Hope they save ya some."

Another colleague said (not knowing about my new-found support for Obama) that he "should've followed a different career path." That he "should have been a sniper." So he could "fix everything come January."

Casting this vote -- if that's what I ultimately do -- is going to be very difficult for me. I'm voting against myself in a lot of far-reaching ways. I hope the man comes through on what he's promised in the near term.

I love you.

My ex-wife loved me when I agreed with her too, Brandy. I'm skeptical. ;)

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

I never expected this. I'm glad you can admit this, and I think we all hope Obama can deliver on his plans to help the common people.

YOU didn't expect this? What about ME??? :silly:

I apologize for the "look at me" thread. I just thought some of you might be interested in my "coming out" (no tooc) party; given my history here.

WOW!

It's over!

It's good to hear you say this.

I'll be honest. I am a die hard democrat. I didn't think Obama was the best candidate (Did not vote for him in the primary). BUT - I'm glad he won. I think right now, he is the best choice.

I understand your hesitation. And even if you don't vote Obama, I have new respect for you (And I know, at the end of the day, this post was all about getting MY respect.. :) ).

Truth be told, it sounds like you recognized something many Americans have come to see. "Hey - I voted Bush because on many social issues he seemed the same as me... Turns out, that's wasn't the best choice. Perhaps it's time to look beyond social issues"

i dont even know what to say here. hope youre happy and feel good about your choice bro. i dont get it or agree with it but i support your choice as a bro.

And I appreciate and respect your response. I know part of you is screaming "Hog, you ****ing idiot!!!!"

Thanks for not sharing that part. :cheers:

This is for you Jason.

http://www.republicansforobama.org/?q=homepage

:applause:

PS:I knew you'd come around. Eventually..lol.

You and John did the yeoman's work to help me see what was actually going on. I appreciate your patience and understanding on those days I refused to listen.

I respect the hell out of you and your opinions. And I thank you for always sharing them the "right" way.

HH, I have a question based on your foundation of conservative political beliefs, isn't there another candidate outside of McCain / Obama that appeals to what you really believe?

There was. Mike Huckabee. But I knew going in he was FAR too conservative to get elected.

I had intended to write in Lou Dobbs, but that was basically a throw away vote. It WILL be tough for me to vote for Obama, but if he implements his tax cut, child-support tax credit, and a REAL, affordable healthcare plan, I WILL benefit.

Yes, this time it's about me.

There was. Mike Huckabee. But I knew going in he was FAR too conservative to get elected.

I had intended to write in Lou Dobbs, but that was basically a throw away vote. It WILL be tough for me to vote for Obama, but if he implements his tax cut, child-support tax credit, and a REAL, affordable healthcare plan, I WILL benefit.

Yes, this time it's about me.

HH, the tax cut thing is a joke, niether one of the front runners will be able to actually implement a tax cut and give you health care with the economy the way it is, if you do the math it is next to impossible.

Didn't Clinton say that he was going to cut taxes?

You vote for whomever you choose. But, don't be surprised when your tax cut turns into a tax hike.

Nope - Clinton said that the deficit was out of control, that we must raise takes on the top 2%, and balance the budget, and cut the federal workforce by 100,000 jobs.....

He then proceed to focus on the deficit, raise taxes on the top 2%, balance the budget, and reduced the federal workforce by 350,000...

His 1992 Promises

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE6DB1E3FF930A15755C0A964958260

The results

http://clinton4.nara.gov/WH/Accomplishments/additional.html

I'll be frank. My lean toward Obama right now is not without great reservation, maybe even bordering on fear. I fear that he'll get to appoint two far-left leaning judges. I fear that the Second Amendment may well be overturned in the next four years. I fear that drastic government expansion will lead to drastic increases in the deficit and national debt. I fear that illegal immigration will continue it's out-of-control downhill spiral....etc, etc, etc.

You mean no more militias??? But, but, but... then who will keep the King of England at bay??? ;)

Glad you finally saw the light, Jason. :cheers:

HH, the tax cut thing is a joke, niether one of the front runners will be able to actually implement a tax cut and give you health care with the economy the way it is, if you do the math it is next to impossible.

Let's get something clear. I don't want anything "given" to me. But I do think that working nearly 50 hours every week (with an additional 20+ hours of commuting time) I SHOULD be able to comfortably afford health insurance. That not being the case, it's time for (God help me) a change.

Archived