Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCain asks that Friday debate be postponed to focus on financial crisis

Cooked Crack

You people do not understand. Neither McCain or Obama are equipped or in a position to even help the people working on this.
Yet they are running for president...

How about the fact that taxes help pay the salary of McCain and Obama? I think they should do what they are getting PAID to do which is work within congress to find solutions to major issues. I think they both need to get their butts back to Washington to help with this.

They should debate.

It's not like they don't have private jets to fly them to and from the location. They could both be in by 6 and out by midnight. Plenty of time left to save the nation. From the little that I've heard on this subject (and I'll be damned if I'm reading through all 14 pages of this), I agree with Obama. They have plenty of time to debate.

OTOH, as to the "What can he do, he doesn't know the economy" folks:

What McCain can do is make deals. He can network. He can shake hands, wink, broker packages. He can get a feel of how Senator Lardbutt is sitting on the issue, and what it might take to get him to change positions.

In short, he can be a politician.

Do you folks really think Congress is gonna make this decision based solely on their expertise in the area of the economy and the interrelations of the financial sector?

What's going on in Congress isn't economics, it's politics. A game in which McCain has a winning track record and centuries (OK, cheap age shot) experience.

Yeah, the fact that he's the Presidential nominee changes things. Yeah, McCain and Obama might be a more effective team.

But that doesn't mean he'll be sitting around waiting for something to do. He might make things better. He might make things worse. But he would change things. (And my money would be that he could make things better. But I wouldn't put a LOT of money on that.)

Yet they are running for president...

How about the fact that taxes help pay the salary of McCain and Obama? I think they should do what they are getting PAID to do which is work within congress to find solutions to major issues. I think they both need to get their butts back to Washington to help with this.

Not every president is Bill Clinton. They are not all economic geniuses. You need to understand how congress works. Neither of them are involved with what is going on now. They are not going to be able to help create the bill.

Please see the Palin/Couric interview thread - the woman doesn't even know anything about her running mate or CURRENT policy in Washington so I don't even want to know what she knows about American History.

Yet, had Palin said something this ridiculously inaccurate you guys would be all over her butt saying it was just another "sign" she's not ready. But here you give Biden a pass and direct the attention back to Palin.

Oh yeah, and I saw the thread.

Not every president is Bill Clinton. They are not all economic geniuses. You need to understand how congress works. Neither of them are involved with what is going on now. They are not going to be able to help create the bill.

How so? You don't think McCain is going to make the circuits, try to talk to his contacts and "network" with other congressmen over this issue? You don't think he's going to try to help facilitate the bipartisan effort that's needed to solve this problem? He and Obama get paid to be senators....not run presidential campaigns. They should both be back there doing what they can to help with this issue.

How so? You don't think McCain is going to make the circuits, try to talk to his contacts and "network" with other congressmen over this issue? You don't think he's going to try to help facilitate the bipartisan effort that's needed to solve this problem? He and Obama get paid to be senators....not run presidential campaigns. They should both be back there doing what they can to help with this issue.

Maybe you should stop talking out of your ass and actually see what the banking committee has to say about this stunt while they are hard at work.

Yet, had Palin said something this ridiculously inaccurate you guys would be all over her butt saying it was just another "sign" she's not ready. But here you give Biden a pass and direct the attention back to Palin.

Oh yeah, and I saw the thread.

I thought it was a dumb thing by Biden and I didn't let him off the hook but I could at least see where he could have gotten confused - I would say the same about Palin.

One thing I do fing interesting in all of this is that during hurricane Katrina, many people were upset that Bush didn't show up right away to tour the area and watch the relief efforts. It didn't matter that he couldn't personally do something to directly help, he needed to show leadership and show solidarity with people.

But now, when McCain goes back to Washington to support the effort to help fix this massive crisis, he is NOT showing leadership qualities...he's just "afraid to debate."

One thing I do fing interesting in all of this is that during hurricane Katrina, many people were upset that Bush didn't show up right away to tour the area and watch the relief efforts. It didn't matter that he couldn't personally do something to directly help, he needed to show leadership and show solidarity with people.

But now, when McCain goes back to Washington to support the effort to help fix this massive crisis, he is NOT showing leadership qualities...he's just "afraid to debate."

Bush was the President.

Huge difference.

SurveyUSA has just completed a snap poll on response to John McCain's request to cancel or postpone the presidential debate.

Several questions. But two key ones.

What to do about debates?

Hold as Scheduled 50%

Hold with Econ Focus 36%

Postpone 10%

Suspend Campaigns?

Suspend 14%

Continue 31%

Refocus on Fin. Crisis 48%

Would canceling the debates be good for America? 14% say yes.

Probably cause Bush was doing this

McCain-Bush%20photo.jpg

This is something where McCain really works well ending girdlock and getting others to see the whole picture

On the news I was listening to up here it played out as he requesting the delayof personal ambitions to help the country fix this problem, the needs of the people before his own desire to be president

Maybe you should stop talking out of your ass and actually see what the banking committee has to say about this stunt while they are hard at work.

Maybe you should stop posting like an immature 5-year old and telling people they are "talking out of their ass" when you don't even attempt to provide evidence as to why they are "talking out of their ass."

I wasn't aggressive in my post to you. I was asking you why you don't think McCain and Obama can do anything to help with this and your response is to tell me I'm "talking out of my ass."

I would love to see the responses here if the roles were reversed.

My response would be the same. They BOTH need to be in DC right now.

Bush was the President.

Huge difference.

One of these two is going to be president in a few months...so no, not a huge difference.

This is something where McCain really works well ending girdlock and getting others to see the whole picture

On the news I was listening to up here it played out as he requesting the delayof personal ambitions to help the country fix this problem, the needs of the people before his own desire to be president

This is exactly my whole point. Even if he and Obama can't do much officially in regards to this bill, they can do a lot behind the scenes to talk to people and help end the partisan gridlock.

My response would be the same. They BOTH need to be in DC right now.

Why neither are on the relevant committees, the people who actually are working on the bill have asked McCain to not come back right now, I don't see how bringing the circus that is a presidential campaign back into this mess helps anyone. Lets be honest McCain can't do anything special by being back in Washington if he was asked for maybe but he wasn't.

This is exactly my whole point. Even if he and Obama can't do much officially in regards to this bill, they can do a lot behind the scenes to talk to people and help end the partisan gridlock.
They can't do their senatorial jobs and debate afterwards?

They can even explain not only their plans, but what they are doing in the Senate to implement them.

Archived