Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCain asks that Friday debate be postponed to focus on financial crisis

Cooked Crack

Wow, am I the only one who actually likes this move? I mean, hell, I'm probably gonna vote for either Obama or a third-party guy, but I give props to McCain here. This is the right thing to do. Everyone in the financial world is screaming that Congress needs to make a bunch of decisions in a jiffy. McCain is a part of Congress. He should be there right now.

This is quickly turning into a very bad move on McCain's part. When you piss off David Letterman, you're really in trouble. ;)

David Letterman tells audience that McCain called him today to tell him he had to rush back to DC to deal with the economy.

Then in the middle of the taping Dave got word that McCain was, in fact just down the street being interviewed by Katie Couric. Dave even cut over to the live video of the interview, and said, "Hey Senator, can I give you a ride home?"

Earlier in the show, Dave kept saying, "You don't suspend your campaign. This doesn't smell right. This isn't the way a tested hero behaves." And he joked: "I think someone's putting something in his metamucil."

"He can't run the campaign because the economy is cratering? Fine, put in your second string quarterback, Sara Palin. Where is she?"

"What are you going to do if you're elected and things get tough? Suspend being president? We've got a guy like that now!"

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3cbm.htm

Wow, am I the only one who actually likes this move? I mean, hell, I'm probably gonna vote for either Obama or a third-party guy, but I give props to McCain here. This is the right thing to do. Everyone in the financial world is screaming that Congress needs to make a bunch of decisions in a jiffy. McCain is a part of Congress. He should be there right now.

I agree with you... I can't mock McCain...

But I do think If McCain really wanted this to be a non political move he would have worked it out with Obama so it wouldn't have been seen as political. Anouncing this all by himself without any notice to Obama makes it very political.

It also will make it tougher for Democrats to get behind a bail out, because of the risk it will make McCain look like he accomplished something.

Currently both parties are in revolt. McCain's unilateral moves seems to have made a compromise less likely; not more likely.

He's also trying to be the leader of the free world, he should be able to multi task. Even Bush who's trying to get this passed had time to go to the UN and give a speech. As President you can't drop everything.

Would McCain had pulled this stunt if Obama was a governor?

I agree with you... I can't mock McCain...

But I do think If McCain really wanted this to be a non political move he would have worked it out with Obama so it wouldn't have been seen as political. Anouncing this all by himself without any notice to Obama makes it very political.

It also will make it tougher for Democrats to get behind a bail out, because of the risk it will make McCain look like he accomplished something.

Currently both parties are in revolt. McCain's unilateral moves seems to have made a compromise less likely; not more likely.

He called him and asked him :doh:

Honestly Obama is the one making it political by saying he can't be in two different places at one.

The further these idiots stay away from my wallet, the better.

I actually wouldn't mind paying taxes if my money was used wisely.

This whole thing is a joke.

THERE IS NOTHING ANYONE CAN DO.

Forget about it. This is a face saving act designed to show Americans how much our elected officials care about their constiuents and their country. In reality, this is about them fighting to keep money in THEIR pockets. Not ours.

My understanding is Obama called McCain this morning seeking a joint statement on the economy in support of the bail out. McCain called him back agreeing to the joint statement latter in the day; and then moments latter issued this press release.

It's not clear he ever asked Obama to halt his campagne, or join him in Washington. It's very clear Obama wasn't on teh stage with McCain when McCain anounced his moves.

Honestly Obama is the one making it political by saying he can't be in two different places at one.

Obama is in a no win situation. If go now joins McCain in Washington, he's a follower, not a leader. His only option is to ignore McCain and continue on with the debate preparation....

The ironic thing is I think Oboma and McCain jointly could be helpful there. Individually, not so much.

Actually what he said was that he COULD be there if there was anything at all constructive that he can do. He said they both have planes available to them and they could hop to DC in a minute if that is what's required. He said that both of them should be able to multitask while keeping abreast of the situation. The presence of either one of them is not imperative to getting this thing passed. McCain is just taking a risk to look presidential because recently so many comments have been made about how he DOESN'T look presidential. Risky move for him.

The ironic thing is I think Oboma and McCain jointly could be helpful there. Individually, not so much.

They need to do their job and both be there honestly. Debates are just for TV so they can be moved. It isn't like on a friday night many people would be watching :)

Stop trying to make yourself look good or bad do your damn job.

Actually what he said was that he COULD be there if there was anything at all constructive that he can do. He said they both have planes available to them and they could hop to DC in a minute if that is what's required. He said that both of them should be able to multitask while keeping abreast of the situation. The presence of either one of them is not imperative to getting this thing passed. McCain is just taking a risk to look presidential because recently so many comments have been made about how he DOESN'T look presidential. Risky move for him.

Or it means McCain has more power in the senate then Obama, which is most likely the case, since he has more relationships with people there due to his years. The key to a politician regarding his experience is the relationships he has and friends he can count on. That is what politics are about, like it or not John is very strong there.

I am starting to think with the way the country is teetering on a disaster that we do need someone that has the ability to get the people to get something done.

Or it means McCain has more power in the senate then Obama, which is most likely the case, since he has more relationships with people there due to his years. The key to a politician regarding his experience is the relationships he has and friends he can count on. That is what politics are about, like it or not John is very strong there.

I am starting to think with the way the country is teetering on a disaster that we do need someone that has the ability to get the people to get something done.

I agree. This is a leadership issue.

Obama would have a lot of pull too. It would be an opportunity for both McCain and Obama to show America what they are capable of.

I'm shocked they aren't already there. And I'd love them if they decide no mas and deny the bailout.

I agree. This is a leadership issue.

Obama would have a lot of pull too. It would be an opportunity for both McCain and Obama to show America what they are capable of.

I'm shocked they aren't already there. And I'd love them if they decide no mas and deny the bailout.

If they were going to decide not to do it then there would be no reason to be there.

There are now multiple problems for McCain with this impulsive move.

1. As stated already, he isn't on any of the committees that are handling this so what is he really going to do.

2. The Dems and the white house are coming out and saying that a deal is moving forward which contradicts what McCain said about the bill being dead.

3. The biggest problem for McCain is that he is going to have to answer, WHY NOW?? Why didn't he do this last week? and how does he have time to be in New York tomorrow, but not in Mississippi on Friday?

Maybe a they are really doing this is because they really want to get Palin out of the debate. Maybe they believe that she is going to get wiped out.

Maybe a they are really doing this is because they really want to get Palin out of the debate. Maybe they believe that she is going to get wiped out.

This is the real reason, and it's so transparent. "Gee, maybe we can push the debate back to Oct. 2, since there's already a debate then. Wow, that's the vice presidential debate? Well, let's just postpone that one then. We'll be sure to reschedule that VP debate sometime soon (fingers crossed behind back)."

Yeah right.

Palin must be performing really badly in mock debates. Can't take her anywhere, can you?

If I'm Obama, I just come out with a simple statement:

I am fully capable of doing my part in this financial crisis and at the same time debating John McCain on the issues. I believe the President will be called on everyday to show his ability to deal with several different tasks at the same time, and I plan to start doing that now.

Thread should have been closed right here obviously..

If McCain wants to postpone the debate then they should move the VP debate to Friday.

Chuck Baldwin.

;)

Oh I forgot my Ron Paul memo. Bring Baldwin on to.

Here's what Ramesh Ponnuru, senior editor at National Review thinks of it

If Senator McCain believes that he can help to enact a plan that can stabilize the markets and lay the foundation for future growth, then suspending the campaign and going to Washington was the right thing to do.

But it is hard to see what McCain can do to help, and easy to see how his intervention could hurt. He brings, as he himself has admitted in the past, no expertise to the table. And won't Democrats be less likely to cooperate on a plan if doing so will help make McCain be the hero of the hour?

So McCain's move may have been a mistake on substance. It may prove to be a political mistake too: If McCain can't bring both parties together in an economic crisis after staking so much on it, won't voters draw adverse conclusions about his leadership ability?

Archived