Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCain asks that Friday debate be postponed to focus on financial crisis

Cooked Crack

I guess I'm just not as cynical as the rest of you. I thought this was a very Presidential act. I think it would be very promising to see the two men who want to lead this country put their personal ambitions aside for a few days to actually lead it.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton emails reporters:

At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama’s call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

What that says is that they agreed to issue a joint press release. Doesn't mention anything at all about canceling debates, or even ending campaigns.

So Obama didn't call to cancel the debates.

That's what I'm getting from the whole thing.

I guess more will come out but it seems the series of events are this:

1. Obama campaign contacts McCain campaign to issue joint statement about the crisis

2. McCain campaign agrees

3. McCain campaign announces they are to suspend campaign and focus on financial crisis with no mention of Obama

4. Word comes out about Obama phone call

I'm confused.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton emails reporters:

At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal. At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obama’s call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details.

Good for both teams to push the politics aside and do what is best for our country. A lot of work needs to be done ASAP.

That's what I'm getting from the whole thing.

I guess more will come out but it seems the series of events are this:

1. Obama campaign contacts McCain campaign to issue joint statement about the crisis

2. McCain campaign agrees

3. McCain campaign announces they are to suspend campaign and focus on financial crisis with no mention of Obama

4. Word comes out about Obama phone call

I'm confused.

Neither one of them was trying to look like a hero, McCain can only speak for himself.

I guess I'm just not as cynical as the rest of you. I thought this was a very Presidential act. I think it would be very promising to see the two men who want to lead this country put their personal ambitions aside for a few days to actually lead it.

Given the history of Senator McCain, I could certainly believe that Henry. Sadly, candidate McCain has done cynical self-serving things that put his ambitions to be POTUS over the overall good of the country *cough* Palin *cough, cough* so I'm having a hard time buying it now.

I'm also thinking that if Obama wants to get really dirty, I'd be tempted to draw a parallel between this and "W announces, two days after Katrina hits New Orleans, that he will cut his vacation short, and will return to Washington, just as soon as he finishes the fundraisers he's got scheduled for tomorrow."

Typical same old politics, I thougt Obama was suppose to be different?

Henry,

What is one day gonna do to hurt them in working to find a solution? I mean it is tough that this happened during the campaign, but this will not be the first time where the future president will have to juggle. It isn't like this crisis just popped up. We have been heading this way for a while now.

To me, this shows that McCain is truely the bipartisan candidate (as he has proven over his Senate career), in spite of the way he is painted by the Democrats. Whenever he's not running for office, McCain is one of the best friends they have in the Republican party. They just pretend it isn't the case during elections....

Given the history of Senator McCain, I could certainly believe that Henry. Sadly, candidate McCain has done cynical self-serving things that put his ambitions to be POTUS over the overall good of the country *cough* Palin *cough, cough* so I'm having a hard time buying it now.

Eh. Nobody comes out of an election as clean as they went into it.

If the reaction of this board is any indication as to what the country will think, McCain either did this despite the political ramifications or he's dumb as a sack of hair.

And I don't think he's dumb.

To me, this shows that McCain is truely the bipartisan candidate (as he has proven over his Senate career), in spite of the way he is painted by the Democrats. Whenever he's not running for office, McCain is one of the best friends they have in the Republican party. They just pretend it isn't the case during elections....

If the Obama phone call is indeed true, wouldn't that make HIM the bipartisan candidate in this particular case?

But what are they going to do? Neither sits on the Banking Committee. Even Bush isn't really doing very much - he has delegated authority to Paulson.

In the Senate, it will be Dodd and Shelby's show to run. McCain, despite his long tenure in the Senate, has never led on economic issues. As Republicans are quick to point out, Obama has never really led on anything as a Senator.

Paulson, Bernanke, Dodd, Frank - those will be the big names in the debate. McCain and Obama would just get in the way ... (so would Bush).

Henry,

What is one day gonna do to hurt them in working to find a solution? I mean it is tough that this happened during the campaign, but this will not be the first time where the future president will have to juggle. It isn't like this crisis just popped up. We have been heading this way for a while now.

Did I imagine the quote from Paulson where he said something needs to be done in the next 48 hours or we're facing an economic catastrophe?

So here we are up against it and all we've heard is bickering, finger-pointing, and pundits telling us how Obama and McCain have no clue how to fix this. I don't know about the rest of you but I REALLY don't want to hear that this-and-such's second cousin cleaned floors for Fannie Mae in 1997 anymore. It's kind of more important to me that our country's economy not come to a grinding halt.

I for one would be glad to know it's more important to McCain and Obama too.

Archived