Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell is playing scared (Merged)

Frediemac

As usual, there is a lot of emotion and a lot of speculation being posted here. I am taking a wait-and-see attitude on how Zorn assesses JC's play. A lot of this is just as much about the HC as it is about the QB.

I do know that I was doing this same thing -->

A couple of times late when the throws went too short to get a 1st I saw Cooley dragging across the middle covered by a linebacker. You throw the damned ball and let him make a play!

Yeah we were yelling throw the damn ball alot too, but that was only because Zorn kept calling run plays :doh:

It was clear last night that Zorn was frustrated with Campbell's play (as I think the majority of fans were). It would be remiss to say that it is all Campbell's fault. Poor play calling, poor line play, poor route running - they all contributed and they all feed off of eachother.

To me, Campbell just does not seem comfortable. He appears to be playing to avoid making mistakes. The real question is what is causing the "uncomfortableness". Is it something that can be worked through with practice and experience, or is it something he will just never have? Great QB's elevate their team's play, they are not influenced by it.

I've been in Campbell's corner since he was drafted, but I'm starting to think we have seen the best there is. You have to ask if you honestly think he can take a team to the Superbowl and win it, because that is the only reason to have him on the field. I personally am no longer convinced.

I seem to recall that when Zorn was hired, he unequivacally named Campbell as the starting QB immediately. I'm curious how he came to that decision. Was it based on film study? A couple of interviews/practices with Campbell? Or was it a recommendation from the FO that had so much invested in him?

If Zorn becomes convinced that he cannot win with Campbell, then what?

JC missed a wide open Cooley in the middle on the first play, trying to stare down his receiver on the right.....which led to a sack. JC was a problem with scanning the field, and has a terrible habit of starring his receiver's down. Santana was pretty much wide open for atleast a second before JC threw it to him. I better QB would have thrown the pass much sooner before Santana passed the last defender.

Man can Jason get a chance to grasp this system. Matt Hasselbeck's didn't start until his 3rd year in the league but even then he had been learning in the SAME WCO for 2 years before moving on the the Seahawks and starting. Guess what? His #'s were no better than Jason's last year. I mean you can't keep changing and expect to grow.

Hasselbeck completed in his 3rd year started in the SAME system to boot.

He threw for 2023 yards. Completes 54% of his passes. 7 td's and 8 ints. He didn't come out like gang busters folks.

Hass was a 6th round pick. Why are you comparing sixth rounders to first rounders who HAD A CHANCE To sit and catch up to the speed of the game?

There's nothing similar between Hass and Campbell other than your desperation to find a ray of hope. BTW, I'm not saying Campbell isn't going to improve during the season but I'm not seeing "Super Bowl QB" when I watch this guy play. When I watched Tom Brady at Michigan in his best season, I saw a guy who had 'it' but still needed some developing and strength work. Then even though they protected him a lot in his first season, he still made a number of plays indicating that "it" factor on a team that was headed towards a LOSING SEASON--he won the Super Bowl.

Sorry, I just don't see that from this guy. It's not even like a QB who can't 'win the big one' like Peyton early on. THAT I'd say you just gotta wait. But we are mediocre to awful with Jason at QB and better with just about everyone else. Seriously. Even with Brunell half-the-time (the other half he was even more hideous) we were better on offense and at least seemed to BELIEVE.

Man can Jason get a chance to grasp this system.

That weak excuse has expired. Kindly explain what was different about the system that JC couldn't grasp last night that was any different to the last few years of JC's play? I thought Gibbs was calling the plays last night. Does the WCO require a QB to stare down a receiver? Throw wide? Throw high? Take 12 seconds to spike a ball? Miss even noticing open receivers on 70% of his incompletion's? I not only don't buy that excuse anymore, I seriously wonder about the people who keep trying to use it.

Well after watching the last two pre-season games, last nights outcome was no surprise. I have read post after post defending Jason Campbell, yet we have to face it that he is not the guy. 15 for 27 and 133 yards will just not cut it against a Super Bowl caliber team like the Giants. It is sad to think that the Redskins will need to become a 3-11 team before any sort of switch will be made at QB. I hope Zorn realizes sooner than later that Collins and/or Colt need to be give an opportunity to lead this team. It seems the only bright spot this season will be Colt Brennan's performance in the Pre Season. Colt Single Handedly led the skins to 2 early pre-season come from behind victories. I am sure there are few among us that would argue that we wouldn't have won any of those games without Colt at the helm.

EaglesH8r

:eaglesuck

Well after watching the last two pre-season games, last nights outcome was no surprise. I have read post after post defending Jason Campbell, yet we have to face it that he is not the guy. 15 for 27 and 133 yards will just not cut it against a Super Bowl caliber team like the Giants. It is sad to think that the Redskins will need to become a 3-11 team before any sort of switch will be made at QB. I hope Zorn realizes sooner than later that Collins and/or Colt need to be give an opportunity to lead this team. It seems the only bright spot this season will be Colt Brennan's performance in the Pre Season. Colt Single Handedly led the skins to 2 early pre-season come from behind victories. I am sure there are few among us that would argue that we wouldn't have won any of those games without Colt at the helm.

EaglesH8r

:eaglesuck

Disappointing but true.

I would like to preface my question by saying I 100% believe that JC should have been the starter going into this season.

That being said would Collins have fared any better last night v. the Giants?? My answer is a resounding yes!! Here's how I came to this conclusion:

1. Collins keeps the chains moving: In his 4 games last year we had a 3rd down conversion % of the following:

Week 14- 40%

Week 15- 20%

Week 16- 42%

Week 17- 60%

Avg- 40.5% and that is on the low end of the actual because JC was responsible for the early 3 and outs v. the Bears in week 14.

2. Todd Collins makes more plays downfield: Collins might not have the big arm but he is willing to take shots downfield and throws it in a position where his receiver can go get the ball. Santana had multiple jump balls last year after Collins got in, not because Collins throws deeper, but because Collins threw it to the right spot. Last year against the G-Men in bad weather Collins only completed 8 passes but they went for 160+ yards. It took Campbell 15 completions to get 130 yards yesterday.

3. Collins is better at throwing the screen pass: That is w/o question

4. Collins faced a much more aggressive rush in worse conditions against the Seahawks then Campbell did last night and still managed to put us in position to score 17 points.

I'm not saying to make the switch now because in the long run if we want to be a contender we have to find out if Jason is the man or not. But by Week 6 if we're not showing signs I would make the switch to Todd. The offense would absolutely rally behind him and its not fair to the rest of the team if Jason is struggling with the offense.

Look at the Cardinals... Leinart is their future but they want to win games now so they've decided to start Warner. We need to start the QB that gives us the best opportunity to win games. If JC isn't that person then he shouldn't be playing.

Archived