Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell is playing scared (Merged)

Frediemac

I'm not saying all this to pile on Campbell but its put up or shut up time for him. I like the Zorn is bring tough on him as are the fans and it will show a lot about Campbell's "moxie" if he can come out and have a big game versus the Saints next Sunday.

Agree. I don't want to can Campbell after one game, but I do believe this is his hotseat year. Like I said in another thread, he either delivers solid(I said solid, not amazing) results or we bring in a vet to compete with he and Brennan.

It's a bit odd to me to see SO many people defend CAmpbell after he looked pretty bad in the last few preseason outings and his first game this year.

Meanwhile, a certain other young QB had his job snatched after a mediocre preseason and less than a half of football. 2005 would be about the same period in his career that Jason is at now.

The difference is, one guy actually demonstrated something and the other has an AWFUL winning percentage and performance when things matter. While everyone else who plays QB here does a bit better (when healthy.) I'd also point out that Brunell didn't look hot in 2006 and how long it took to replace him. Certainly, he struggled with a new system but it didn't give that veteran a season-long or remainder-of-career pass on his play.

His receivers aren't getting open. He doesn't have a chance.

Looking at the video in you signature it looks like JC has a chance to step up in the pocket before the pressure gets to him but he stands there allowing pressure, delaying the timing of the pass play. I agree we could use some help at WR...a big target that gets the first down. The rookies' injuries may have set us back, but I think JC is the biggest reason for the offensive woes.

Colt would definitely have played with a greater sense of emotion and urgency last night. And motivated the team a litttle bit more. Maybe helped the receivers get a step; get the o-line to fight a little harder.

But he probably would have made some serious rookie errors; and might have even gotten hurt, with all his abandon. And they would probably would have lost anyway.

Campbell seems strangely detached for somebody who is paid to play a game. (having a real job is boring; not playing football).

:(There is NO Doubt about it, Jason Campbell is playing scared. He would not go deep at the end of the game because he didn't want to get hit. This team could have a shot but they will never win with Jason Campbell at QB. This is hard for me to say because I like the guy but he is just not a good player.

If Jason is scared of anything, its of making a mistake like throwing an interception. There are a bunch of things you can question about Jason. But saying that Jason is scared to take a hit IMHO ain't one of them.

:cheers:

Campbell soaks up the victim role like no other. I could sympathize with him if he didnt use it as a crutch. It just makes him look weak. How many interviews does he talk about the all the systems hes been in and blah blah. So what.. we all know it by now. Each year there are QB's learning new systems, with QB's and Offensive coordinators changing cities like musical chairs. Just shut up.. take your lumps and move forward. Its year 4 and theres still mechanical issues that have nothing to do with the system. Telegraphing passes, overthrowing WR's, poor pocket presence that leads to sacks. The excuses he spits out just shows me we have a weak minded QB. He also plays with no fire. I'm not giving up on him but I do feel he needs to toughen up, shut his mouth, and start playing with more intensity.

He also played against a couple of PAC 10 teams (Oregon being one) and some top schools in the mid west (can't remember the names) and won. He's no slouch and I'm not claiming greatness here. What I'm saying is that JC is playing as bad, if not worse than last year. Check out SoCalSkin's stats and that tells the story.

Can you in all honesty, argue with that?

Colt Brennan=Ty Detmer

:cheers:

Campbell soaks up the victim role like no other. I could sympathize with him if he didnt use it as a crutch. It just makes him look weak. How many interviews does he talk about the all the systems hes been in and blah blah. So what.. we all know it by now. Each year there are QB's learning new systems, with QB's and Offensive coordinators changing cities like musical chairs. Just shut up.. take your lumps and move forward. Its year 4 and theres still mechanical issues that have nothing to do with the system. Telegraphing passes, overthrowing WR's, poor pocket presence that leads to sacks. The excuses he spits out just shows me we have a weak minded QB. He also plays with no fire. I'm not giving up on him but I do feel he needs to toughen up, shut his mouth, and start playing with more intensity.

That's ALMOST like asking Patrick Ramsey to play with more fire after Steve Spurrier RUINED the kid's career. Jason plays scared because he just got rid of a coach that had NO confidence in him whatsoever. Not Gibbs - Al Saunders. Al Saunders thought that Jason wasn't intelligent enough to learn his system, which reeks of a personal attack, but whatever. This was, what, his 21st start with his 3rd different offense? He's averaging a year and some change per offense. That's not an 'excuse' - teams change coaches, yeah, most teams that haven't bottomed out completely don't do it this often...they gave Grossman longer than that. He's showing small improvements (no INTs or fumbles, for instance? That seems like an improvement), but they get lost in the fact that we didn't win the game, which was more due to the playcalling than anything else.

The problem with Washington's fans is that nobody has patience with any of the quarterbacks. Look at our history since 1990. I think Jason Campbell deserves a year in this offense unless he looks horrid. Yesterday was not horrid. 15/27 and 133 yards. Those stats will go up once Zorn lets Campbell throw LONGER ROUTES. Campbell's only issue is that he's a little bit too slow, frankly. He has to be able to react quicker and not be scared of making mistakes. Don't make bad decisions, but you can't worry about what happens after the ball goes up.

All of us need to be a bit more patient with Campbell. Sure, he needs mechanical improvements, but he's also throwing to a bunch of receivers several inches shorter than him. I laughed on a couple of his throws because his release was almost Colt Brennan-like. But that's out of necessity - what else are you going to do when your main receivers are seven inches shorter than you??

1 year in this offense - and it doesn't need to be a stellar one. If he puts up 3,000 yards or so, a completion percentage above 60, and more touchdowns than picks, I think we can move into next year with him as our starter.

Some things happen to quarterbacks that really slow their development. Instability at the coaching positions, coaches that won't give you any PT until halfway through your second year as a pro, injuries to yourself, injuries to people around you. I understand that you're saying that Campbell sounds like a victim, but you've got to admit that Campbell's probably had some of the worst luck ever seen by a young QB...even a young Redskins QB. It looks like Moss just might stay healthy for us, though. As the season wears on, some of those long bombs he's throwing up are going to connect and they're going to go for touchdowns. But the two biggest mistakes that could be made at this point are either firing Zorn (barring a Dolphins-like season) or pulling Campbell.

I wish Zorn would give Campbell enough rope to hang himself or pull himself up.

This 20 passes before the 2 minute warning business is ridiculous. Especially since the Skins were behind the entire game. Either trust your QB or get a new QB - don't handcuff the guy you have in there.

They've taken such a huge step backwards from where they ended the year last year. They were playing so well the end of the year last year, and that was with many key injuries to many key players and the death of their best player.

It's just so frustrating because had they kept Greg Williams as head coach and kept Al Saunders as o coordinator, I gurantee they'd have won that game EASILY. They weren't going to do it and they've invested too much in J. Campbelll but had they kept the same system intact from last year and had Todd Collins back there they win that game 30-16. Wouldn't have even been close. I thought they were on the verge last year of being not only a top 10 defense which they were but they were a top 10 offense at the end of the year and that was with a decimated o line. It took Gibbs over 3 years of the 4 years he came back but they had finally became a real offense. Collins was confident you could just see it and the players and coaches were confident in him. It was obvious from the play calls. He made quick decisions, he threw the ball accurately with timing and rhythm often before the receivers had even started their break, they were aggressive in the passing game and hurt you downfield, they had balance with the run game, it was the best they'd looked offensively in 17 years.

What I saw Thursday just made me want to vomit on myself. It's the Marty era, Joe Gibbs 2.0 year one era, all over again. They looked timid and scared on offense. Campbell looked scared and unsure and Zorn called a chicken **** game. It was seriously Chicken ball all over again. No rhythm in the passing game, they cant get the ball downfield, they are too scared to even try to get the ball downfield. Running the ball for short gains over and over on first and 2nd down when they are stacking the box and you are down 9 points and need some urgency and need to be more aggressive. What really proves to me this offense has been set back so much is on 3rd and longs they just will throw it 3 yards and punt because they are too scared and just look like they want off the field without making a mistake. They are too scared to even try. Last year on 3rd and 12 Collins would stick it in there with a square in thrown perfectly on time for 17 yards and convert. He'd to it over and over. Every drive that last month with Collins in there it felt like they were going to drive down and score. They have miles and miles before they are back to that point again and that it is what is so frustrating.

Al Saunders always wanted to be more aggressive and always wanted Todd Collins to play. He got to run his offense with his qb for 5 1/2 games? It just sucks because we were there folks and now we get to start over. I remember our home game week 16 against the girls, I remember watching that passing game and Troy Fakeman just gushing over the timing of Collins throwing those outs before the wr broke, we just picked up chunks of yards at will it seemed. I was almost surprised every time the ball hit the ground.

Now here we are 9 months later and I'm shocked as hell every time we complete a pass over 7 yards. It's just not going to click for Campbell with this scheme sometime this week, he isnt even close folks.

The most frustrating thing is continued posts saying this team sucks and everyone needs to be cut and/or fired.

For crying out loud it was ONE ****ing game! I mean our offense played atrocious, but our D and Special Teams kept us in a game where we lost by 9 to the defending champs in their house in our head coaches first regular season game.

****ing hell..... :doh:

I don't think the score was very indicative of how badly we got beaten. Thank the Giants horrible play calling for the close score. Stats were padded after the Giants went into prevent late in the game. We'll take that touchdown in the 2nd Q though.

I see a few positives to build on or take from that last game, the rest was just downright atrocious...but screw that game...it's about the Saints next Sunday now.

to the OP ok the change of font color helps but you need paragraph breaks. Huge blocks of text are still not easy to read.

I agree with you 100%

I was thinking this exact same thing

I wanted Greg Williams to take over this team in the worst way to keep continuity going

Saunders offense was finally showing what it was made of and this team in the 3rd year of running the same system with a confident vet QB running this team would've been nice

But what can you say Vinny is running the show and we've got Zorn and yet another new offense and we look almost just like we did in 04

Now we have to wait while everyone learnsssssss

Just be patient everything will come together we just have to give him 2 or 3 years :doh:

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom. Denfensively if I were to guess we are probably in the top 10-15 range. We are solid on special teams.

But stick in a tape of the Redskins in the last month of the season when we finally got to run the Al Saunders offense with a qb he and Gibbs had confidence in to run the the way it was designed to be ran. That was fun to watch, that offense I had confidence in, and that would have been really nice to built on. Heck that offense could have carried a team like the Al Saunders offense did in Kansas City when they played ZERO defense. What was even more beautiful is we have a defense to go along with it. It took us 3 1/2 years of gibbs return to get there, but we finally got there for 5 games and now its back to square one.

I think people on this board forget some of the god awful offensive performances that ocurred under Gibbs II watch. We had plenty of games the last 4 years where our offense was putrid.

Wake up people. They were bad, but gibbs didn't leave us with an offensive juggernaut. Look at last years early games.

Archived