Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC says the broncos won the portis bailey trade

chow184

casserly was talking about it on WPL,and said it benefited both teams.

were as JLC quickly quipped that the skins gave up a 2nd rounder as well. (ended up being tatum bell who is a bum)

JLC also said that the broncos have been a perennial playoff team with bailey.Funny thing is skins playoff record is the exact same as the broncos these past 4 years.

2 appearances in 4 seasons

with just 1 win and 2 losses.

granted the broncos have a better regular season record than the skins,but Bailey went to a much more at the time stable franchise.Where as the skins were in the process of building the team in Gibbs vision.

IMO as of now it's an even trade.

I didn't like giving up the 2nd, but if Champ was truly not going to play here for whatever rumored reason, they had to get something in return for him.

In any event, Springs has played at a higher level for the Skins than Champ did.

Well JLC is right if you look at it in a vacuum. We traded a cb who has made the pro bowl every year since the trade for a rb that hasn't made the pro-bowl since, and we gave up a second round pick.

However, when you take into account that Bailey was as good as gone and didn't want to play for the organization anymore it becomes more even.

It ended up being an equitable trade.

Both players improved their franchises. Both players were not, and are not, addressing the major weaknesses of their teams.

I wouldn't trade Portis now for Bailey/Bell. Our defense is pretty solid. It's our offense that needs the jumpstart and I think Portis will flourish in a more modern system.

(Saunders had a modern system, but Gibbs' fingerprints were all over the playcalls and mentality)

Boys this deal still echoes

I think its still to hard to call

Champ was not going to stay here and be happy

Portis continues to be a top 5 back in my way of thinking.

Champ is a Great CB

Maybe the next two seasons will prove out a clearer "winner". Though in my way of thinking both teams won.

What an idge! The Bailey trade had to be made. There was no way he was going to remain with the Skins. The wife wouldn't allow it.

I hated having to throw in the 2nd round pick, which turned out to be Tatum Bell, be he's not even with Denver anymore.

In hindsight, I guess you say that Denver got Bailey and 1/2 of Dre Bly since Bell and George Foster were traded to Detroit for Bly. Bly didn't do much for Denver last year and was burned often. Then again, I guess anything other than Bailey for Portis gives Denver an advantage in JLC's eyes. :rolleyes:

The idea that one team has to "win" a trade is so stupid. This trade helped both teams. Both teams "won." As far as pure value goes, yes the Broncos got a better deal because they got the second round pick. But unless Bailey or Portis had gone on to be a bust (obviously neither did) I dont see how you can say anyone won or lost.

Bottom line: Both teams would still have made the trade even if they knew then what they know now.

If we didn't have Portis, I don't think we make the playoffs the 2 years we went. I think the Broncos would have made it with or without Bailey. I think Portis has made a bigger impact on our team. That said, the trade has helped both, and I would call it a push.

Exactly :applause: ...The Broncos were making the playoffs before Bailey joined the team. The Skins were not. Portis has definitely made a bigger impact on the Skins than Bailey has on the Broncos. But even with that, the trade helped both clubs and both teams ended up with great players. The 2nd rounder may have tipped the "value scale" towards Denver, but not by much. Let's bury this topic once and for all.

Archived