Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What game would you say summed up Gibbs 2.0?

Gart Monk

Please choose one game (2004-2007) that, in your opinion, can pretty much tell the story of Gibbs 2.0.

After four years of Gibbs 2.0 the Redskins went 30-34 (.469) in the reguloar season with two playoff appearances featuring a playoff victory in 2005.

Since the Skins had a losing record 2004-2007 I choose a game that they lost.

2005 vs San Diego. The Chargers did everything they could to give that game away but a few dropped passes and a crucial holding penalty proved to be fatal for the Skins that day. Probably the best game I ever went to. FED EX was as hostile as I had ever seen it. What game would you choose and why?

The Dallas game where we had 2 bombs to Santana that completed the comeback.

Because we had two seasons where we had to have late season surges in order to make our way into the playoffs and that showed how much those teams fought their guts out.

Can't pick just one game. But Gibbs made our team a TEAM again. He may not have been Gibbs I, and I think a lot of us thought he was too conservative in his play calling, but he has helped our current team in a HUGE way. I love you Joe, thanks for giving us everything you had.

The 1st Giants game last year...Everyone can agree that Gibbs 2.0 theme was giving up leads...this is the best example of it.

Count me as one that doesn't agree. At least, not in as much as giving up leads "sums up" Gibbs 2.0. Maybe it was one of the (many) themes of 2007, but nothing more (IMO).

Unfortunately for me Buffalo 2007 sums it all up.

He willed that team to come together and compete after the horrific series of events with Sean Taylor. The team responded and played their guts out for him, only to lose on a last second FG aided by a poor coaching decision.

The Skins-Boys game in 2005 at FedEx...before Gibbs came all we ever did was lose to the Cowboys for like 7 years straight.....when Gibbs came back he didn't turn us into s Superbowl dynasty no...but he gave back the Redskins a lot of the respect we had lost over the past decade since his first tenure....overall losing record or not the Redskins are in a much better place than what they would be if he had not come back...enough said

I would say the last loss at seattle. Seemed like with Gibbs 2.0 he had us playing scared...even when the ball bounced our way (the kickoff that should have been a TD, LL's two late int's to keep us in it), we were capable of not pulling it off. We lacked the Killer Instinct and I think it was because Gibbs didnt instill enough self confidence. My one issue with Gibbs was that I think he gave too much credit to the opposition and placed not enough belief in his guys. He always was telling them, you are going to have to play above your level to beat these guys, even when these guys were the San Fran Jokesters. I think the team bought into that, thinking man we better not **** up rather than, man we are going to **** these guys up. I think the last seattle loss was a perfect example of that. The whole nfc was shuddering at the idea of playing us. We were going to curb stomp dallas at home, right after we got done with a little revenge sea bird hunting. Instead, we did everything we could to win, and still lost. I still cant believe we lost that game. We should have walked in there and shut kwest field the **** up! Instead we came humble, played lights out, and still lost. It is mind bottleing.

The 1st Giants game last year...Everyone can agree that Gibbs 2.0 theme was giving up leads...this is the best example of it.

I disagree that Gibbs 2nd tenure was all about giving up leads, but his play-calling was certainly more conservative than in his 1st go-round.

Yeah, I'm in that Bandwagon.

This game was so disheartening for me. I wonder how many things might have been different had we held onto that 2 touch halftime lead and won the game. How many things might have been different for the Giants as well. Oh well -- if if's and buts were candies and nuts every day would be Xmas, right?

Both playoff games against Seattle. We didn't play our best football, but were oh so close to winning both.
Since Gibbs got us back into the playoffs, this is what I choose

We were not big winners in the playoffs, but at least we got there

Since the Skins had a losing record 2004-2007 I choose a game that they lost.
I would choose the term mediocre over loser

Losers is what we were before Gibbs I and Gibbs II

Can I pick two? Probably the back-to-back in 2006 at NY and then at home against Tennessee. We had made the playoffs in 2005 and brought in Al Saunders, but struggled in our first 2 games against the Vikings and Cowboys. But then it looked like we were back on track against the Texans and then the offense really looked good in the thrilling OT win over the Jags. But then we laid the usual egg against the Giants (I recall there was a questionable decision made in the second half between going on 4th or kicking a FG.....another staple of Gibbs 2) and then blew a lead against the then-winless Texans. Even though we wound up turning the page later in the season by going to Campbell, it was at this juncture that I felt Gibbs 2 was on borrowed time.

Because we had two seasons where we had to have late season surges in order to make our way into the playoffs and that showed how much those teams fought their guts out.

I agree with this completely. Everyone can complain about the offensive woes and say that marked Gibbs 2.0. But even with that, this team fought together. We had two exciting seasons, especially towards the end. We won more playoff games under Gibbs in 3 years than the Dallas Cowboys have in the last decade! Joe also left us with a sound group of guys for Zorn to build on. Hail

I'm going to choose the 3 playoff games we were in from 2004-2007. Gibbs was brought here to build the team and train danny to STFU. Rather than whining about blown leads and conservative play calling (which did hold us back); remember the heart he brought to this team that was not present in the Spurrier days.

And can we please just have one thread on the topic of Gibb 2.0. Every day it's "how should we judge gibbs 2.0" or name the worst loss of gibbs 2.0.

How about this - 12-20 under the moron before Gibbs. Remember the week 17 loss to philly in 2003 where nobody gave a damn? DID YOU EVER SEE GIBBS DO THAT?

You should be thankful that a HOF coach had the balls to come back and put his reputation on the line to try to bring some modicum of order to the chaos danny had created culminating in the Spurrier era.

I disagree that Gibbs 2nd tenure was all about giving up leads, but his play-calling was certainly more conservative than in his 1st go-round.QUOTE]

I am very grateful for Gibbs 2.0...Don't misinterprete what i'm saying. The fact that there are no other teams in the NFL that have more losses after holding a lead during Gibbs 2.0 tenure shows that this has to be a "theme"...

There are other themes that I am grateful of...one of the most grateful is the fact that we have players with a ton of character who never give up - hence, the 2 runs to the playoffs.

And the winner of the thread is......

SPJUNKIES!!!!!

:cheers:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Archived