Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What game would you say summed up Gibbs 2.0?

Gart Monk

I'd say the Eagles game at home this past year.

It was my first home game, and having the lead, I had just gotten accustomed to us losing it. After showing flashes of brilliance, the team once again gave up the lead in the end :(

Look on the bright side... You got to see Sean Taylor's last game.;)

The Green Bay game. Fumbles, dropped balls, sloppy play and doing just enough to lose the game offensively.

what did gibbs have to do with this? sounds like an execution issue with the players. JG had nothing to do with this loss.

The 1st Giants game last year...Everyone can agree that Gibbs 2.0 theme was giving up leads...this is the best example of it.

Again, execution gave this game away.

Think about where this team would be now if JG had not come back. Scary, huh? JG did have his share of bad play calling and mental breakdowns. But at the end of the day, its the players who HAVE to execute!

I agree with this completely. Everyone can complain about the offensive woes and say that marked Gibbs 2.0. But even with that, this team fought together. We had two exciting seasons, especially towards the end. We won more playoff games under Gibbs in 3 years than the Dallas Cowboys have in the last decade! Joe also left us with a sound group of guys for Zorn to build on. Hail

Yep. Team looks like it's out of it only to have some type of miraculous come back to win. Did it 2 seasons out of 4.

I'm going to choose the 3 playoff games we were in from 2004-2007. Gibbs was brought here to build the team and train danny to STFU. Rather than whining about blown leads and conservative play calling (which did hold us back); remember the heart he brought to this team that was not present in the Spurrier days.

And can we please just have one thread on the topic of Gibb 2.0. Every day it's "how should we judge gibbs 2.0" or name the worst loss of gibbs 2.0.

How about this - 12-20 under the moron before Gibbs. Remember the week 17 loss to philly in 2003 where nobody gave a damn? DID YOU EVER SEE GIBBS DO THAT?

You should be thankful that a HOF coach had the balls to come back and put his reputation on the line to try to bring some modicum of order to the chaos danny had created culminating in the Spurrier era.

:applause::applause::applause: Yes. What he said.

Count me in as well. All the moaning about conservative play calling and what not is just jibberish. Could it have been better? Sure. The team was a JOKE after the way Spurrier quit. Gibbs came in, took a little time, got the attitude back, and kept bringing the team back to compete in the end.

...late season surges in order to make our way into the playoffs and that showed how much those teams fought their guts out.
The Green Bay game. Fumbles, dropped balls, sloppy play and doing just enough to lose the game offensively.

spjunkies' thoughts typifies the potential of Gibbs' teams

chipwhich's game typifies some the stuff that these teams had to endure.

Green Bay last year was particularly exasperating..

O-line constantly shuffling because of injuries, Rabach, Wade and Heyer went out

JC on the mark most of the time but missed Lloyd with his flat long ball and didn't see McCardell open up crossing the middle on 4 and 1... constantly under pressure because of O line troubles late in the game.

Portis' fumble, Moss' fumble and drops ...Cooley's excellent game.

Defense making plays but just missing the big turnovers (ie. ST's several dropped ints before finaly grabbing one)

..... poor clock management at the end of a close game.

The Bears game this last year. ST died. The Skins blew the Bills game four days earlier in part because of Gibbs's timeout. This team had every reason to feel sorry for themselves and pack it in. Yet they fought hard for each other and for Coach Gibbs, and they pulled through, ultimately winning the next three to make the playoffs.

The Dallas game where we had 2 bombs to Santana that completed the comeback.

Because we had two seasons where we had to have late season surges in order to make our way into the playoffs and that showed how much those teams fought their guts out.

:applause:

Quintessential Gibbs II game. Why go negative in this thread? That game snapped a MEAN streak and fooled the world that went to bed early that night. I was up until almost dawn screaming and laughing on the phone with Redskin fans. I was in a euphoric state for a week. It re-ignited my belief in the organization and propelled us to a playoff appearance that year. Our first in a while.

HTTR. Hail Joe Jackson Gibbs. :point2sky

The "press game" where he always took responsibility for team gaffs, gave credit to the team for wins, never pointed fingers or called out players and having the uncanny ability to talk without saying much in interviews!

:2cents:

I could chose two games. The Bills game would be one.

The other would be the 2006 game at Philly we needed to win in order to get in the playoffs. Hard running by Portis and hard hitting by the defense. We were hungry that game and weren't going to let Philthy take it from us.

We lost one that was close and won was that was close.

To me that sums up Gibbs 2.0, close games.

December 2007, Redskins vs. Vikings...road game. In a very crucial game to likely decide which team would be the final wildcard team that would advance into the playoffs, Joe Gibbs showed the football world that the old man could still coach, and could still win the "big game." Joe Gibbs brought tremendous respectability back to the Redskins.

The Monday Night Miracle!!

Gibbs brought a never give up attitude and HOPE, PRIDE back to DC.

This game dsiplayed that.

The only problems being his oft-questionable playcalling and coaching decisions took winnable games and turned them into losses (San Diego & Oakland in '05 and Buffalo in '07 being easy examples of those).

Agree completely, our Skins over the years before Gibbs came back were being coached by individuals who had no idea how to install discipline, respect for the game, and to act as a team, not individual showmanship. It may not have been Gibbs I, but in my opinion, he brought the foundation back to the organization that needed it in a bad way. I can only hope that it will continue.

Can't pick just one game. But Gibbs made our team a TEAM again. He may not have been Gibbs I, and I think a lot of us thought he was too conservative in his play calling, but he has helped our current team in a HUGE way. I love you Joe, thanks for giving us everything you had.

Archived