Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What game would you say summed up Gibbs 2.0?

Gart Monk

The Dallas game where we had 2 bombs to Santana that completed the comeback.

Because we had two seasons where we had to have late season surges in order to make our way into the playoffs and that showed how much those teams fought their guts out.

That's the one I'd pick too. :cheers:

Because we had two seasons where we had to have late season surges in order to make our way into the playoffs and that showed how much those teams fought their guts out.

Amen :applause: :cheers: ...Excellent analogy.

The three biggest things that stand out in my mind concerning Gibbs 2 is that the team became a TEAM again instead of simply a collection of individuals, that the team was competitive and in pretty much every game, no matter what....and that we finally got the Cowboys Curse off our backs and started beating them consistently, and in thrilling ways.

Twice Gibbs' teams pulled off improbably runs and made the playoffs...and never let the circumstances get the best of them. The 14-13 game over the Cowboys sums all that up perfectly.

I would say the last game of the year last year against the Cowboys. I had been on a roller coaster of emotion last season. With the late game colapses, the Green Bay game with the turnovers, the death of Taylor, the Bills game, the Vikings game. That game will always stick out to me. Mainly because through everything that happened last season it was nice to see Joe and the rest of the team smiling and having fun. It felt really good to end such an emotinal season on a high note.

:applause:

Im with spjunkies on this one. Down early, had to out-fight, out-intimidate and out-score late in the game in order to win. One of THE MOST memorable Redskins' wins ever IMO. It was a true statement game for Gibbs II.

Win against the Eagles to make the playoffs for the first time under Gibbs 2.

Eagles had a backup QB with nothing to play for yet the game was a nail biter. Skins showed just enough fight to win in the end. The team under Gibbs played best when facing the worst forms of adversity - even when that adversity was of their own making.

My impression of Gibbs 2 goes both ways. On one side he brought us back to the playoffs and rebuilt the organization. On the other side he was way to conservative and it seemed like the game passed him by and we could have done better with another coach. Overall, at the end of the day, my loyalties to the Redskins, Gibbs and his legacy makes me feel Gibbs 2 was successful

Bills game after ST died was the worst

Cowboys game 05 in Dallas. Most excited I have ever been after a skins victory.

Can't be the Dallas game in 05 because those were few and far between. Seems to me some people are confusing "best win" with "summed up".

Gibbs 2.0 had a losing record and two 10 or more loss seasons.

So a loss has to be the choice to sum up his tenure.

After thinking about it I think I'm going to go with the Steelers loss in 2004.

The defense played it's heart out to keep it close.

The offense teased us with a few opportunities before letting us down.

The Skins deserve credit for playing "their guts out" in Pittsburgh against an eventual 15-1 team but ultimately lost showing that they were close but not an elite team.

Not a single game but I'd have to say that sticking with Brunell after his horrible year in 2004 and actually thinking that Brunell could win 4 straight in the post-season while injured again in 2005 stands out the most to me.

I think the Gibbs of 81-92 would have started Ramsey after Brunell got injured in the Giants game just like he switched off from Shroeder to Williams back in our 87 season. Ramsey had done well for the team and there was no reason to not start him then.

The fact that he brought Brunell right back out there, and continued to start him after some of the worst games for a QB ever has to tell you something. I won't even get into bringing in Saunders a month later.

Here are Brunell's stats for the last 3 games of 2005.

Eagles 9Comp 25Att 141yds 1TD 1Int (Turnovers Eagles 6 Redskins 1) we barely won

Bucs 7Comp 15Att 41yds 0TD 1Int (Turnovers Bucs 3 Redskins 1) we barely won

Sea 22Comp 37Att 242yds 1TD 0Int 1 Fumble (Brunell had some garbage time numbers apparently) We won turnovers again, 3-1 and lost, who would have thought?

3 turnovers in 3 games, nobody turned the ball over in those games other that Brunell, and the turnover ratio was 12-3 in our favor but yet still Brunell was like Montana or Unitas, untouchable.

Exerpt from ESPN:

"The Seahawks (14-3) stopped Washington's six-game winning streak. The Redskins (11-7) were inept on offense for the second week in a row -- they had 140 total yards in the first three quarters after getting a total of just 120 in last week's win at Tampa Bay.

"That's my responsibility," Washington coach Joe Gibbs said. "Obviously we wanted to be much more productive than what we were in the playoffs. We have to look to see how we can do a better job offensively.""

So then rather than go with another QB, he hires the best OCin the league who does no better with Brunell starting games. Yeah, I'd say that Brunell is the definition of Gibbs 2.0

How do you not replace a QB who does absolutely nothing 2 weeks in a row when the season is on the line? A QB who in the final game of the season blows for 4 quarters and in the wild card game sets a record for ineptitude? I don't mean Brunell sucked, he set records for bad play in 2004 and then again in 2005 but then the guy who had better stats against much better teams in 2004 will be given no chance to play.

That is the definition of Gibbs 2.0, IMO.

This guy:

brunell.jpg

Any mention of Gibbs 2.0 should be captioned with a pic of Mark Brunell.

I will choose to remember the wins.

Santana in the 4th, Taylor on the blocked FG, CP'S first carry, Cooley's 3 TDs against the Boys, Taylor's fumble returns against Philly & TB, The LaVar chants against SF, The "You Suck" chants against Dallas, Philly & NYG, The fans forcing 3 false starts against the Bears to win the game.

That is how I will choose to remember Coach Gibbs this time around.

What everbody seems to forget about that game is the bills kicker made the first kick.

He did make the first kick, which made that a good timeout. The question is... would he have made the second kick from the same spot? From what I remember it was like a 50 yard kick

The 1st Giants game last year...Everyone can agree that Gibbs 2.0 theme was giving up leads...this is the best example of it.

Agree with this. Although he did take us to the playoffs twice. His second coaching tenure was filled with two many of these types of games....

What everbody seems to forget about that game is the bills kicker made the first kick.

He did make the first kick, which made that a good timeout. The question is... would he have made the second kick from the same spot? From what I remember it was like a 50 yard kick

Lindell was 2 of 3 on 50+ yard field goal attempts last season, made 24 of 27 overall, was 15 of 16 in the 2nd half, 13 of 13 on field goals when the team was behind, 7 of 7 when tied, and 7 of 7 in the 4th quarter. The odds were in his favor. However, we will never truly know.

Ok first off I LOVE JOE JACKSON GIBBS!!!! He did great things for us and got us back on track from what Spurrior had done. That being said... I think that the first Giants game from this year summed it up....WAY to conservative after we had the lead we got our selves in a great position to win and then turned the offense into vanilla...It was always hard to watch us constantly have leads and then let teams come back....and then in the end when we could have still won TERRIBLE play calling in the redzone. We always seemed to be in the position to win but for whatever reason could not consistantly get it done. He brought us back to the brink of being a great, he took us from consistant losers to and inconsistant team who could play with anyone and have a fighting chance. Lets hope zorn can bring us a few winning seasons, division championships, conf, championsips, and superbowls!

HAIL!

buffalo bills game after ST died.

he was out of his league when he came back. :(

No he wasn't.

If Gibbs had not re-retired, we would have gone all the way this year.

We did take a step backwards in 2006, but that was due to the new offensive scheme.

The "late season runs" as some have called them, were just harbingers of things to come.

Unfortunately, Gibbs did leave us again and for that I am not speaking to him.

When he left he cited family reasons, but I think it was more likely the chants of "Joe must go!" that he heard at FedEx field.

To all of you ignorant morons who chanted - you chased away another Super Bowl victory. Happy now?

Archived