Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Jason Taylor - Speak your Voice

ScottAH87

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't know where all the hate for this guy is, but consider the team's stats defensively:

2007 - 30th Scoring, 23rd Yards/Game

2006 - 5th Scoring, 4th Yards/ Game

2005 - 15th Scoring, 18th Yards/Game

2004 - 20th Scoring, 8th Yards/Game

2003 - 3rd Scoring, 10th Yards/Game

2002 - 4th Scoring, 3rd Yards/Game

2001 - 11th Scoring, 5th Yards/Game

Miami Had good defensive efforts, up till last year. Being that bad offensively would kill any defense's pride, and Taylor may not have been tops in Tackles last year, but he still managed 11 Sacks among D-Lineman. He was 21st the year before in tackles and had 13.5 sacks in 06, and in 05 he was 4th in tackles with 12 sacks. Now, I'd argue that the miami defense was pretty lousy last year, injuries, age, and lack of complementary personnel likely were the cause of the woes, but the guy still made 11 sacks in a down year. I'd call that worth it.

AMONK81, aqq, artmonkforHOF, CaptChaos86, chariq, Cowboy8467, DaEvent, DCMONEY, Dirk Diggler, endzone_dave, Geoff_K, Gibbs=TheBestEver, Higgs44, ILoveTheRedskins, jferraro, Koolblue13, mr2you, NeckBone, Nublar7, pcumberl, pointyfootball, RalphZero, Redskins:Victory_or_Death, Roger.Staubach, SkinsWarrior81, sloppypanda, Stophovr6, Taylor Made, The Big Dog, Thinking Skins, Yusuf06

What route should we have gone?

My preferred route would have been to find an UDFA or vet FA DT that we could plug in as a poor man's Daniels, play Wilson on passing downs and then draft a DE next year. However, if we wanted instant gratification (much more Snyder's style) I'd say a first rounder plus either a player or another mid-round pick for T. Suggs would have been a good move. That way even though we'd be out of a pick, at least we could reasonably expect the player to still be around 5 years from now.

Again, I don't have anything against Taylor. I think he's probably got some gas left in the tank and will improve out pass rush a lot. However, what I have a problem with is our generosity with draft picks because it adds more risk to the equation.

You didn't need to give up draft picks, just to fill a roster spot... Other options were available and yet more would've become available...

Tell us how Mr. GM? We go with Chris Wilson a 2nd year player from Canada who is a 3rd down pass rusher or Rob Jackson a 7th round rookie. It had to be done.

The Redskins have Cowboys, Giants and Eagles to deal with.

Really?

I dont think McNabbs noodle knee is excited about getting chased by Taylor and Carter and Wilson/Washington all day. The other 2 probably would just as much not want to deal with Taylor also.

Adding a Jason Taylor, helps this defensive front 7.

...To what extent, we all will see.

My preferred route would have been to find an UDFA or vet FA DT that we could plug in as a poor man's Daniels, play Wilson on passing downs and then draft a DE next year. However, if we wanted instant gratification (much more Snyder's style) I'd say a first rounder plus either a player or another mid-round pick for T. Suggs would have been a good move. That way even though we'd be out of a pick, at least we could reasonably expect the player to still be around 5 years from now.

Again, I don't have anything against Taylor. I think he's probably got some gas left in the tank and will improve out pass rush a lot. However, what I have a problem with is our generosity with draft picks because it adds more risk to the equation.

We did that when we acquired Erasmus James. conditional 7th.

I guess that's my only problem with this situation. When loosing Phillip Daniels, and his 2.5 sacks, forces you in to making a trade - it says something about your team. And it aint good..

Tell, me if Tuck or Uminyora, Trent Cole, DeMarcus Ware or Greg Ellis went down, who will those teams get to replace all that talent? They are in no better shape than anyone else in the league. Most teams would have to go to a rookie or backup to fill in.

Also, everyone seems to forget that we snagged a former 1st round DE in Erasmus James from the Vikes for a conditional 7th. At 25, if he rehabs the knee (he's running already-non contact though) he could be our future force, not to mention Chris Wilson was really showing something at the end of the year.

I like your point about James. I forgot or never knew of it.

Shows you're paying attention.

Championship baby!

I personally like this move. Sure hes the wrong side of 30 but he can still produce I am sure. I like the fact that we got an addition by subtraction here. He (Taylor) is as good as the man he is replacing easily. What is there not to like about that!

We did that when we acquired Erasmus James. conditional 7th.
I like your point about James. I forgot or never knew of it.

Shows you're paying attention.

Uhh, :no: E. James is not a P. Daniels type player. Rather, he's a light in the pants speed rusher like Taylor and Carter. What I meant by "a poor man's Daniels" was a guy big enough to anchor the left side on running plays who could then be taken out on obvious passing downs in favor of Wilson or perhaps James when he's healthy enough to play.

Sorry Monk4hall but this is an example of NOT paying attention at all. :silly:

You absolutely cannot argue with the caliber of player we got for the 2nd round pick. Hes beyond amazing, hes had more sacks than anybody in the past 8 years.

The issue is really about the number of years we will get out of him. Will we get 1-2 years tops, or 4-5? If its the later, this is a steal. If its the former, it depends on how well the team plays(playoff wins are a must). Jason Taylor really helps this team. But can he help it for enough years to be worth trading away a possible younger DE who would be here for 7+?

One interesting other note is that this is good news for the skins and trying to develop James. He doesnt have to play at all this year. He can just worry about getting back to full strength for the 2009 season. That is a huge benefit to the organization.

E. James is not a P. Daniels type player. What I meant by "a poor man's Daniels" was a guy big enough to anchor the left side on running plays

I see what you're say'n.

With my post I was trying to point out that Pj cited an example of the Skins finding a guy who was a former 1st round pick...i guess and who, by way of injury was available for cheap. ( my admission of not paying attention was due to the fact I didn't look up any of the info Pj provided, I took his word).

In the context of Pj's post he was responding to someone claiming that the Skins were just out spending frivolously again (that old, trite line again)...I think Pj brought a prime example to counter that.

And I rather like his point. Also add to that, the draft we had, I find the moves the Skins have made, personnel wise, to be fairly frugal and good ones as well.

Plus the whole 'big guy' to anchor the line...well these guys are world class athletes, I'm sure if James wanted to he could redefine his playing style and add some pounds or he could just rehab and be the player he naturally is.

I think J. Taylor said something during his press conference that I found rather smart. He said that alot of people outside of the football team (media; fans) want to categorize each player...as a 'pass rusher' or 'run stopper', but J. Taylor went on to say that he's just a 'play maker;' a 'baller'....so I wouldn't get all in a fuss over 10 to 15 pounds. Taylor's gonna hold his own.

The whole not pay attention thing, well I guess you're right...I've not been 'extreme' Skin'ing for awhile. I do have a full time job...ha :)

• 6 months later...
i'm left completely baffled from this trade. If this was such a need position, why did we ignore it all offseason? Why did we wait until we were in such a 'desperate' position? We had chances to draft a de in the second, but chose not to. Even yesterday, we had a chance to talk to other teams about potential trades. We could have brought in veteran free agents. We could have sat and watched the waiver wire. I mean, this is not nearly the first time a team has ever had a player go down in training camp.

As i slept on this decision, i have had a few answers to my questions on this move.

1) jason taylor is the best possible player that we could pick up.

2) as other teams start training camp and suffer injuries, the price for taylor could go up

3) taylor could have come to realize that he had no leverage in this situation and reported to camp all nicely (like chad johnson in cincy).

So all i can say is that the move leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Its kinda like hearing that mom went out and got the steak for dinner as a replacement for the pork chops she dropped on the floor. Then when i hear that she bought the steak cause she was desperate, thinking that we'd have nothing to eat for dinner if she hadn't got the steaks, it makes the taste of the steaks a little less juicy, especially when we had turkey burgers in the freezer.

But hey, i'm a grownup. I realize that everything's not going to go my way. I really hope this season doesn't turn into one of those "i told you so" moments where the redskins eff up again. I really hope that taylor is more similar of a pickup to london fletcher or pete kendall than to tj duckett.

But now i'm really looking back at the 2006 draft and wondering why we picked landry over okoye, especially when we already had taylor. But i can't cry over spilled milk. This is just how we've been playing our hand so far. And just like i cheer on landry, i'll cheer on jason taylor. I just wonder what the excuse will be next year when we - once again - don't address the defensive line.

qft

Dude, how can you have that opinion six months ago...

But now claim Jason Taylor and Jared Allen are equal acquisitions, and that we address our lines? Are you the same person or has another person taken on your username?

Do me a favor and define the word 'addressed'.

And then tell me how the concepts 'addressed through the draft' and 'addressed through FA/trade' are different.

The way I see it, signing a player like JT is addressing our D Line because we've traded for a HOF player on our D Line. Its not a long term investment, but it is addressing it, hence the concept being called 'addressing through FA/trade'.

Do me a favor and define the word 'addressed'.

And then tell me how the concepts 'addressed through the draft' and 'addressed through FA/trade' are different.

The way I see it, signing a player like JT is addressing our D Line because we've traded for a HOF player on our D Line. Its not a long term investment, but it is addressing it, hence the concept being called 'addressing through FA/trade'.

Yeah but in one post you said that our defensive line was fine before injuries (and Jason Taylor). Then in the one in this thread, you say we should have addressed it in the draft. Headscratcher.

Yeah but in one post you said that our defensive line was fine before injuries (and Jason Taylor). Then in the one in this thread, you say we should have addressed it in the draft. Headscratcher.

When have I ever said that the DL was fine before teh draft? I've always been saying that we need a DT. Back to the days of drafting Landry.

In one thread I was saying that we have a mediocre DL (not the best in the league but by no means the worse). I stated this because if we didn't draft OL or DL in the draft (again) its not gonna be the end of the world.

We've ignored the DL in the draft many times before and have been able to come out with winning seasons. Its not like we can't do it again.

Archived