Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Jason Taylor - Speak your Voice

ScottAH87

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Taylor will help our D a lot. I see Taylor and Carter being the closest thing

to Manley and Mann that we've had since their run. They will make our

corners better with the increased pressure.

Do you double Taylor and free up Carter? What about a blitzing Washinton,

Landry, or whoever? This has to make Blache smile.

And we still will do no better than a first round playoff exit at best.

The way I see it is like this...in a big game with everything on the line, we've come up short more often than not.

A Jason Taylor at the end of his career will have a limited amount of impact on a middle of the road team.

Unfortunately, we are not in the upper tier of teams in the NFL.

I personally define success in terms of Super Bowl wins. I'm not willing to lower my standards of success and say, "Well, Jason Taylor helped us make the playoffs." Big deal.

17 years later, I'd hope that we'd be a little better than a team that can compete for a wild card spot, provided that everything falls into place in terms of player performance, learning curves, and health.

Were talking about football here, not soccer!

;-) yes thanks .. changed it .. read the story and for some reason AC's name stuck in my mind when i posted .. apprecaite the correction my friend

Trust! I would have been pissed if Carter went down.

I'm still pissed we lost two players on the first day of camp with no pads on :doh:

Yet another old player pickup. /sighs

When will we go the youth route and stop taking players in the +30 catagory ?

Like who?

Okay, we could have made a different draft decision earlier, or tried to break the bank to get Jared Allen, but today what young DE would you have gone after?

I like this move much more than just inserting some scrub off the practice squad. Teams can coalesce quickly in unexpected ways (just look at the Giants last year. Raise your hand if you thought they were a SB contender at the beginning of last season) and unlike Canadian Hog I am not ready to write-off this season before it begins.

Unfortunately, we are not in the upper tier of teams in the NFL.

I personally define success in terms of Super Bowl wins. I'm not willing to lower my standards of success and say, "Well, Jason Taylor helped us make the playoffs." Big deal.

I disagree, this move puts our D into the upper tier in the league. We already had a strong Defense, without much pass rush. Taylor gives our coaches more freedom in the secondary and makes our line drastically better. He had 11 sacks on the worst team in the league where he faces double teams every play.

With a top 5 Defense anything can happen, just look at the Giants last year. The Defense is set now, if Campbell plays well and our Lines stay healthy we can beat any team in the league.

We are talking about arguably the best DE in football here. This guy is not somw scrub we picked up off the street. He is a beast and instantly gives us bookend's on the DL. just look at the stats of Taylor and Carter.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=CAR609667&player2=TAY338550&player3=null&player4=null&position=defender&playerOne=Andre+Carter&playerTwo=Jason+Taylor&playerThree=Select+a+Player...&playerFour=Select+a+Player...

If those arent bookends I dont know what is. We will be a dominate pass rushing defense. Maybe better then the Giants defense last season.

A 2nd and a 6th seems steep for a 1-year rental of Taylor. If he stays motivated and plays a 2nd season, it's a little better deal, but still no bargain. The Redskins were forced into this because they gambled and neglected the d-line for too long. To have a 35 year-old starter in Daniels with no one waiting in the wings was very risky. They gambled and lost. Now, they pay a premium price for a guy we hope still wants to play football. If he does, we get a short term payoff at the cost of long term stability. Big sack numbers from the left side will help out a banged up secondary this year. What's their plan for the position long term, though?

That said, it is instructive that the Redskins, supposedly in eternal Cap Hell because of Dan Snyder's free-spending ways, had the $8 million in cap room to easily bring Taylor in without having to reshuffle the roster or payroll. Is it too much to ask that the media retire that old tired cliche of the Redskins being foolish spenders who are always in cap hell?

I like this move much more than just inserting some scrub off the practice squad. Teams can coalesce quickly in unexpected ways (just look at the Giants last year. Raise your hand if you thought they were a SB contender at the beginning of last season) and unlike Canadian Hog I am not ready to write-off this season before it begins.

:applause:

agreed, before the season started most people had the giants at the bottom of the nfc east.

we had a good defense last year, this could make it great. i believe we will do well this year. Especially because taylor is motivated, he wants to win.

PS: sorry for making poll options so extreme, pretty much meant yes i like it or no i dont

Anybody that thinks this is a bad deal is smoking dope.

Are you kidding me. We hve 2 stud Defensive Ends now. I hate that we had to lose Phillip Daniels to make this happend, but it is what it is.

I think our front 4 will me Hell to deal with.

Jason Taylor is a stud. Yes, we gave up a 2nd rounder for him, but if he plays at the same level he's played the past four years, who is going to complain? He's got at least 2 more good years left, and has had 11+ sacks the past 4 seasons. He is two years removed from the NFL's defensive MVP. MVP! He is a game-changing player, and will be a difference maker for sure.

If you do not like this move, I suggest you have your head examined.

I'm left completely baffled from this trade. If this was such a need position, why did we ignore it all offseason? Why did we wait until we were in such a 'desperate' position? We had chances to draft a DE in the second, but chose not to. Even yesterday, we had a chance to talk to other teams about potential trades. We could have brought in veteran free agents. We could have sat and watched the waiver wire. I mean, this is not nearly the first time a team has ever had a player go down in training camp.

As I slept on this decision, I have had a few answers to my questions on this move.

1) Jason Taylor is the BEST possible player that we could pick up.

2) As other teams start training camp and suffer injuries, the price for Taylor could go up

3) Taylor could have come to realize that he had no leverage in this situation and reported to camp all nicely (like Chad Johnson in Cincy).

So all I can say is that the move leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Its kinda like hearing that mom went out and got the steak for dinner as a replacement for the pork chops she dropped on the floor. Then when I hear that she bought the steak cause she was desperate, thinking that we'd have nothing to eat for dinner if she hadn't got the steaks, it makes the taste of the steaks a little less juicy, especially when we had turkey burgers in the freezer.

But hey, I'm a grownup. I realize that everything's not going to go my way. I really hope this season doesn't turn into one of those "I told you so" moments where the Redskins eff up again. I really hope that Taylor is more similar of a pickup to London Fletcher or Pete Kendall than to TJ Duckett.

But now I'm really looking back at the 2006 draft and wondering why we picked Landry over Okoye, especially when we already had Taylor. But I can't cry over spilled milk. This is just how we've been playing our hand so far. And just like I cheer on Landry, I'll cheer on Jason Taylor. I just wonder what the excuse will be next year when we - once again - don't address the defensive line.

Contrary to what some may think, I'm not just trying to be a "putz" about this move. Rather, as always I'm simply trying my best to look at things objectively.

Therefore, I have compiled a list of advantages and disadvantages/risks to the Taylor deal. My list assumes Taylor still has gas in the tank and will still want to play for what will probably be a 7 or 8 win team over the next year or two.

ADVANTAGES:

Immediately improves our pass rush which also helps our problems at CB (I'll count this as 2)

Taylor is more versatile than Daniels dropping into coverage and thus may provide more turnovers

DISADVANTAGES/RISKS:

Will be a short-term improvement-1 to 3 years max

Increased risk of loss with an injury or decreased production due to age (I'm not knocking his durability which has been good. Rather this is a reflection of what we potentially lose if he can't play...that is, we lose Taylor PLUS the two picks we gave up).

Loss of potential for long-term improvement from second round pick

Loss of potential for long-term depth from sixth round pick

Salary cap hit in 2010 limits space to keep current vets

Team may be hitting its stride under Zorn just as Taylor runs out of gas

Potentially damages run defense due to now having two undersized DEs.

Taylor may not be as effective on the left side

By my count the overall risks/disadvantages of this move outweigh the advantages (all of which are short-term) by more than two to one. That in spite of the fact that I gave an extra point on the advantages side. Additionally, and perhaps most germane to this discussion is that I haven't heard anyone point out the obvious. That is, we wouldn't be in this position if Cerrato, Gibbs and Williams had drafted a DE here and there to shore up depth behind an aging Daniels. This mistake is ultimately what lead us to having to overpay to rent a player for the short-term.

I'll be as happy as anyone if/when Taylor is crushing QBs. However, there are simply too many potential negatives for this to be a good move at the price we paid.

So all I can say is that the move leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Its kinda like hearing that mom went out and got the steak for dinner as a replacement for the pork chops she dropped on the floor. Then when I hear that she bought the steak cause she was desperate, thinking that we'd have nothing to eat for dinner if she hadn't got the steaks, it makes the taste of the steaks a little less juicy, especially when we had turkey burgers in the freezer.

:wtf:

On a scale from 1-10, I give this trade about a 7. I'm curious to see what type of energy he'll bring on the field considering he seemed to be a little whatever since Parcells went to the Phins. If he can ring out two more productive seasons this will go down as a beautiful trade, and proof that Cerrato's turning a corner to becoming an effective GM.

Here's the deal (or at least my take on it). Its not necessarily a "bad" trade. Jason Taylor's a defensive force, and any team would be better with him. Furthermore, I think what we gave up for him probably makes sense - given his track record, and projected future.

But.. what I don't like, is being in this position in the first place. Here's how I see the sequence of events:

1. Put alot of eggs in one basket.

2. Watch that basket gets injured.

3. Realize you have not groomed a suitable backup (don't tell me Buzbee was that backup).

4. Trade for a star.

I wish we were better prepared from a depth perspective to deal with this sort of injury - without having to go out and burn draft picks on a Vet. And its not like (with all due respect to PD) its Dwight Freeney who got injured. What does that say about our defensive line, when we are forced to make a trade because a guy with 2.5 sacks gets injurued?

First I want to say good luck to Daniels and Buzbee. I tore my ACL 4 weeks ago and it is pain that is hard to speak about. I wish them luck in a full recovery.

Also, as for the trade I will say we did what we had to do. I like the fact that we received a PROVEN pro bowl caliber player for draft picks in two seperate drafts. I think Taylor will play more than one year, especially with a team that has playoff potential. Maybe winning will bring back the football fire in Jason Taylor...

As I slept on this decision, I have had a few answers to my questions on this move.

1) Jason Taylor is the BEST possible player that we could pick up.

2) As other teams start training camp and suffer injuries, the price for Taylor could go up

3) Taylor could have come to realize that he had no leverage in this situation and reported to camp all nicely (like Chad Johnson in Cincy).

While I'm not particularly amped about the trade, the bolded text best explains how I feel. I'm just happy that we didn't give up the farm to get him.

I voted yes only because he was the best immediate fix for the gaping hole left on our defense with Philip Daniels's injury. I seriously doubt Taylor's long-term commitment to the team because of his age and desire to retire from football to pursue an acting career, as he mentioned on SportsCenter last week. He is a glorified stop-gap who will retire in a year or two and leave us the same hole.

That said, he is still a very good player--for the time being--and instantly upgrades our pass rush. It just worries me that this is another instance of Vinny and The Danny failing to plan for the future. They made strides in the right direction this offseason after several years of free agency stupidity, but I can't help thinking, based on their history together, that this is a sign of regression.

I think it's interesting - the only people I have heard say bad things about this trade are a vocal minority of Redskins fans, and fans of other NFC East teams (who would find something bad to say about any/every move we make). Everyone else seems to universally think this is a good move on all sides given our current situation, with a fair price for a good player (as opposed to saying this is a bad trade because we should have drafted a DE earlier).

Archived