Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Jason Taylor - Speak your Voice

ScottAH87

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think it's interesting - the only people I have heard say bad things about this trade are a vocal minority of Redskins fans, and fans of other NFC East teams (who would find something bad to say about any/every move we make). Everyone else seems to universally think this is a good move on all sides given our current situation, with a fair price for a good player (as opposed to saying this is a bad trade because we should have drafted a DE earlier).

I think a lot of those people are working under the assumption that Taylor will play more than a year or two, which is by no means a given. A 2nd and 6th pick is a hefty price to pay for a 34-year-old defensive lineman. That rules out two players who could potentially contribute for years beyond Taylor's retirement.

I'm not completely pessimistic about the trade, but I have learned to be wary of Cerrato's moves in the past.

I am in the need more options catagory.

I don't love the deal, and I do not dislike it.

I am content with it knowing that it brings in a very good defensive end to play in place of the solid starter that we lost for the season.

While I am okay with the move, I cant say I love it. Given the circumstance, we did not have any place else to go or much of a choice with this move. I would rather have PD than JT... and before anyone gets on my back about me thinking this way ( I have been here a long time and I am well aware how many ****es we have on the board so...) I know JT is a much more talented player, but we will be switching his natural position, and as far as I know (and I dont know much about it) our scheme is light years away from what JT was doing in Miami.

Take it for what its worth I guess but I have a wait and see approach with this... hopefully, we will be up by so many points, that our "D" wont have to make too many clutch plays.

BTW... who the hell is our strength and conditioning coach. With all the HORRIBLE injuries we have had to endure the past few years (seems like every year now) that due NEEDS to go!

Lets just have our guys practice in bubble wrap until the season starts please!

I am in the need more options catagory.

I don't love the deal, and I do not dislike it.

I am content with it knowing that it brings in a very good defensive end to play in place of the solid starter that we lost for the season.

I think that describes approximately how I feel about it. We needed someone to fill the hole, and Taylor does that well. I'm just not sure it was worth the long-term sacrifice, especially because of Taylor's comments and conduct this offseason.

So all I can say is that the move leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Its kinda like hearing that mom went out and got the steak for dinner as a replacement for the pork chops she dropped on the floor. Then when I hear that she bought the steak cause she was desperate, thinking that we'd have nothing to eat for dinner if she hadn't got the steaks, it makes the taste of the steaks a little less juicy, especially when we had turkey burgers in the freezer.
:wtf:

Agreed. The rest of Thinking Skins' post was pretty good but that particular paragraph sounded like he had a momentary attack of ADD. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think that describes approximately how I feel about it. We needed someone to fill the hole, and Taylor does that well. I'm just not sure it was worth the long-term sacrifice, especially because of Taylor's comments and conduct this offseason.

I am not worried much about Taylor's off season comments and conduct this season, because he was in Miami when all that was said, a perennial loser.

I think coming to Washington will be a refreshing experience for him and football will actually begin to consume him again. I do hope my assumptions are right, and only time will tell, but even if we get two great years from this guy, and he decides to retire, it gives the team that much more time to build the line that they want, and not settle for something.

I really like the move! Having Carter on one side and Taylor on the other gives us a lot of options. Having two guys on the line that can get after the quarterback as well as drop back and play linebacker, cover the run, and cover TE's is pretty exciting to me.

Yes, I do not like his age. However, a lot of great players have played into their forties. Taylor is a ways away from 40, plus he is in great shape. Vinnny is on record saying that the guy will play more than one year. Maybe the change of scenery will help him prolong his career.

Really, draft picks are a crap shoot. I love developing our own players, however, we have a good team that went to the playoffs last year and now we have a chance to upgrade a position that needed serious upgrading.

If we didn't pick up Taylor, then who fills the spot? Buzbee went down also. So far, Wilson hasn't proved he's an every down player. We could pick some scrub off the street.

Yeah, the team should have been prepared for this, however, I think they did a good job with what they had to work with. Most of the other positions have depth. Not every team has depth at every position.

Although we may not be a team that is one player away from a Super Bowl, I think it is important to stay competitive, especially with a new regime and young players. Lets say for the sake of argument that Taylor will play his last two years of his contract. That will keep the defense competitive and the offense on the field. Without him, we were looking at a definate 6-10 or worse season. Zorn may have already been out the door, and Campbell right behind. At least now, we have bought time for the team to draft a DE next in the next year or two, for Erasmus James to get healthy so he may but a possible replacement, and for the team to gel as a unit to maintain competitive after JT's departure.

While I'm not particularly amped about the trade, the bolded text best explains how I feel. I'm just happy that we didn't give up the farm to get him.

According to some on here, we did. I am happy with this trade, and I would have been even if Daniels wasn't hurt.

I like how so many people our saying our defense is too old or getting older because of this trade.

Taylor is actually a year younger than Phillip Daniels.

As far as the cost of the trade, I’m not that worried about it. We’ve got Erasmus James waiting in the wings, and we can always try to trade down next year.

Taylor being there gives our corners a break, because of the pass rush the coverage won’t have to be nearly where it was. Unfortunately though, it will really put our linebackers to the test. I have all the confidence in the world in Marcus Washington and London Fletcher as run stoppers, but they’re both old, Marcus is injury prone, and McIntosh isn’t exactly made of steel. Bottom line, I think our linebackers can pick up Taylor’s slack against the run, but if more than one of them goes out…. Well, Blades can’t be in two places at once. This is my biggest worry.

As far as the length of time playing here, well, if it's two years and double digit sacks and paloffs I'll be more than happy with the trade. If it's three years, but two solid years and a all-pro year, I'll be happy.

I like the trade. I am usually not in favor of trading picks for aging veterans, but I think Taylor is a huge upgrade in what has been the Skins greatest position of need for some time. I don't think any team whose DL can't generate a pass rush can even be considered a contender in today's NFL, especially if they run base cover 2. The lack of pass rush without blitzing has been an Achilles heel for the Skins since the combo of Mann and Manley.

While Taylor obviously isn't a long term solution, I do think he has a few years left in the tank as long as his passion to play remains. He seems to be in great shape as evidenced by his durability record and his production at his age.

Would love the Skins to take the same approach in the draft next year, trade down and have 2 2nds instead of a 1st.

I really don't see what people are complaining about. A second rounder and a sixth might be a bit high, but we had an immediate need. Our season might not have been in danger yet, but losing Daniels and Buzbee killed our depth and could have started the ball rolling.

Besides, it's not like Taylor is over the hill. He got 11 sacks last season and made the probowl. Two years ago he was defensive player of the year. The guy is a stud. With Taylor our DL now has the potential to get more sacks than the entire defense did last season. This buys us time to find a young DE in the future if James doesn't pan out. What's not to like?

Agreed. The rest of Thinking Skins' post was pretty good but that particular paragraph sounded like he had a momentary attack of ADD. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And steak is ALWAYS juicy. :)

I'm pretty sure this means that Taylor has to move to the other side of the line.....Usually that means a steep learning curve....Hopefully he adapts well..

For a 12 year vet? Come on, get real.

I really don't see what people are complaining about. A second rounder and a sixth might be a bit high, but we had an immediate need. Our season might not have been in danger yet, but losing Daniels and Buzbee killed our depth and could have started the ball rolling.

Besides, it's not like Taylor is over the hill. He got 11 sacks last season and made the probowl. Two years ago he was defensive player of the year. The guy is a stud. With Taylor our DL now has the potential to get more sacks than the entire defense did last season. This buys us time to find a young DE in the future if James doesn't pan out. What's not to like?

I want to see the Skins build a long term winner through the draft, not fixing holes by pissing away draft picks. Taylor will certainly make this team better in the short term but good use of that 2nd rounder could have made us a better team for years.

If the Skins go to the Super Bowl this year or next, I'll eat just as much crow as you put in front of me. We need more building though before we are SB contenders, IMO.

I was shocked when i found out, I was at work all day then went home and heard all the news. Im not dissapointed in having Taylor but I wish the events that unfolded yesterday wouldnt have. A second round pick! Were trading a potential 10 year starter for 2 years of service, I dont like that.

I personally, is one of the haters of Dan Snyder's FA petting zoo that includes names like Adam Archuletta, Jeremiah Trotter, T.J. Duckett (traded for, but still), Deion Sanders and Jessie Armstead.

But we also have guys like Sean Springs and London Fletcher. I think Jason Taylor is one of these guys and he instantly makes the entire defense better.

No longer will we cringe in despair as Tony Romo sits to pee or Eli or McNabber or that #12 guy have 8+ seconds to wait on our secondary to fall apart.

And as far as the Skins not being an 'elite' team? WTF? The season hasn't even started yet...this might not even be a good team...you can never tell.

But the good news is that last year's team was close to beating the Giants twice, Spanked the Pukes at the end of the season, and had the Seahawks on the ropes until we gave them the game.

The loss that got Greg Williams fired was the New England debacle. But Jason Taylor is even used to getting up into that #12's face so I think this team is actually in good shape to make a serious playoff run...but realistically there's the future/depth issue.

If we don't draft a DE next year (after I said that last year :P) we are going to be hurting.

I like it given the situation. He has proven that he is still productive as a 30-somthing player, as people have mentioned.

The 1-2 rental is a little troubling, but if he can play at a high level, we can address DE in the draft during that time.

As far as the transition to LE, I'm not worried since he started out as a 4-3 DE and was moved to a 3-4 OLB, (which if you recall he was not a big fan of). He'll be fine....

Archived