Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Jason Taylor - Speak your Voice

ScottAH87

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Right, I'm sure someone who has played the SAME position for the past 12 years will have no problem picking up some new tricks...

Dude, the Phins threw him in on both sides and he even played Linebacker. The dude is versatile, plus the RT isn't as good as the LT in a large majority of cases, so he's going against weaker competition. Plus, I can see him switching sides for Wilson/Washington to come in and rush with Carter on the bench.

Daniels got hurt, there is nothing we can do about it now. Now we could have left the team down daniels and moved on, or picked up anouther player. If we left the team without daniels, that would have been a very stupid thing and everyone would have complained, including myself. Picking up some one in free angency was defenatly a must, and dose someone see a beter DE to pick up than Jason Taylor, cause I don't. This is a great move, and a move that we had to do. If the rest of the line can stay heathly now we should have a great pass rush. And I personally can't wait to see Eli, and Romo sits to pee get knocked around and put on there backs more often.

Go skins

I LOVE the Taylor deal!!! I'll bet so does Carter!!! It's kind of funny how when another (any) team makes a deal for a player and they get kudos... yet, the Skins' do it... and get bad press for it!!!

To hail with those negative opinions! Way to go Snyder! Way to go Cerrato! Way to go REDSKINS!!!

Right, I'm sure someone who has played the SAME position for the past 12 years will have no problem picking up some new tricks...
Dude, the Phins threw him in on both sides and he even played Linebacker. The dude is versatile, plus the RT isn't as good as the LT in a large majority of cases, so he's going against weaker competition. Plus, I can see him switching sides for Wilson/Washington to come in and rush with Carter on the bench.

Thanks - you saved me from having to educate the chilluns. But then I realized you're only 19, and its great to see youth educating youth. :cheers:

EDIT: You don't win defensive MVP by being a one-trick pony. :)

Thanks - you saved me from having to educate the chilluns. But then I realized you're only 19, and its great to see youth educating youth. :cheers:

EDIT: You don't win defensive MVP by being a one-trick pony. :)

Some of us get it :laugh:

I wouldn't say I "love" the move, but given what happened with Daniels, we had no choice. It was a no-brainer. So I'd say I "like" the move.

I would agree with this. I would also add that if he is one-and-done I will slip to the "hated" side. If he plays for 2 or 3 more years then I'm fine wiht it.

We will have Chris Wilson, Rob Jackson and Andre Carter in 3 years, all with more than 2 years under their respective belts. :)

We have all three now, did we really need to dump a second rounder?

I have no problems trading picks for proven talent, but a guy who is thinking about retiring to be a celebrity just isn't worth it.

Taylor is one of the best in the league and I think we are a contender this season.

I just thinks this hurts us down the line.

I would have rather plugged a young guy in or rotated a few of them and saw exactly what we have.

There no middle of the road option...for wafflers like me that isn't good business..:laugh: .

While I won't say that I LOVE that move...I will say that at that moment I think it was a necessary one. I'm not very familiar w/JT..I know he's known for his sacking abilities..and I've dreaded when we've faced him in the past...so I'm hoping he'll do as well if not better here. I won't say that I dislike the move either...for the same reason as stated above. I'm hoping he'll make a difference around here. I think our defense instantly got better with this move.

I voted No!

The Redskins, believing they are one or two players from a Superbowl trophy, go after another high-priced, superstar Free Agent. This has "Dieon Sanders" written all over it. This Taylor guy is way past his prime and is just looking for a huge signing bonus. He will not be on the team in 2009. He will be off doing "Dancing with the Stars", laughing at the Redskins just like Sanders did.

Taylor wanted out of Miami, because he did not feel like working anymore.

The Redskins need to be a little patient here. Go after some hungry undrafted free agents for league minimum.

The Redskins have Cowboys, Giants and Eagles to deal with.

With new coaches and coordinators, this is certainly a time to build for the future. A team does not build for the future by signing high-priced superstar free-agents.

8-8 is extremely optimistic. I am guessing 4-12.

This move proves that Snyder and Cerrato have not learned anything.

The Skins had to get the deal done because Taylor is a proven commodity that has (knock on wood) never missed a game in his NFL career. He is a 2 time defensive MVP, with the most recent being in 2006, and a potential HOF candidate. So what if he is 34, Daniels is 35. So what if he doesn't play for 3+years. I personally, am sick and tire of waiting for "the future". We were a playoff team a year ago, with a mediocre defensive line. We have the SAME team and we now have, agruably, the second best D-line in the division.

Doc Walker said it best. The addition of Taylor gives us an edge because now we have versitility that we lacked with Philip. Teams aren't going to know where to slide the line or where Andre or Jason are going to line up. Not to mention we have Demetric Evans, Chris Wilson and Marcus Washington that can rush the passer as well.

Stop harping on the loss of a draft pick. We added one of the best D-ends in football yesterday. This was a great move that needed to be made and INSTANTLY makes us a better team.

I like the move because it addressed a position of need with a premier player. I love that the deal was finished quickly so that he could get into camp and have plenty of time to practice with the team. The price was ok, it wasn't ideal but that happens when your starter goes down and you need a replacement.

Defensive pressure has been a big problem for this team over the past couple of years (maybe the biggest). This should help a lot.

Taylor did a great job on one of the weakest team in the league in the weakest division in the league. He wants out of Miami because with Parcells there, his weaknesses will be exposed for eveyone to see.

The AFC won 8 superbowls from Superbow 32 through 41. The NFC won Superbowl 42. Now, the NFC is dominant. This is history repeating itself.

Taylor will not be 10% as productive as he seemed to be in Miami.

Talk about an overrated primadonna.

Primadonna: a vain or undisciplined person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team.

Taylor is not willing to sacrifice anything at this stage of his career.

And we still will do no better than a first round playoff exit at best.

The way I see it is like this...in a big game with everything on the line, we've come up short more often than not.

A Jason Taylor at the end of his career will have a limited amount of impact on a middle of the road team.

Unfortunately, we are not in the upper tier of teams in the NFL.

I personally define success in terms of Super Bowl wins. I'm not willing to lower my standards of success and say, "Well, Jason Taylor helped us make the playoffs." Big deal.

17 years later, I'd hope that we'd be a little better than a team that can compete for a wild card spot, provided that everything falls into place in terms of player performance, learning curves, and health.

I don't think anyone by anymeans (except koolaide homers) think that this makes us SB bound. It just makes us feel better about not having to start an inexperiences Chris Wilson or rookie on that side. And it WILL help Carter and Washington rushing the passer.

Yet another old player pickup. /sighs

When will we go the youth route and stop taking players in the +30 catagory ?

How many years does he have left in his tank at 33 ?

I guess with Daniels down we needed a body

We went from 35 to 33. Older? I see what you're saying, but this isn't a broken down Bruce Smith. JT has some gas in the tank and on a pathetic team he still managed 11 sacks, which is better than anyone on our team.

I'm left completely baffled from this trade. If this was such a need position, why did we ignore it all offseason? Why did we wait until we were in such a 'desperate' position? We had chances to draft a DE in the second, but chose not to. Even yesterday, we had a chance to talk to other teams about potential trades. We could have brought in veteran free agents. We could have sat and watched the waiver wire. I mean, this is not nearly the first time a team has ever had a player go down in training camp.

As I slept on this decision, I have had a few answers to my questions on this move.

1) Jason Taylor is the BEST possible player that we could pick up.

2) As other teams start training camp and suffer injuries, the price for Taylor could go up

3) Taylor could have come to realize that he had no leverage in this situation and reported to camp all nicely (like Chad Johnson in Cincy).

So all I can say is that the move leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Its kinda like hearing that mom went out and got the steak for dinner as a replacement for the pork chops she dropped on the floor. Then when I hear that she bought the steak cause she was desperate, thinking that we'd have nothing to eat for dinner if she hadn't got the steaks, it makes the taste of the steaks a little less juicy, especially when we had turkey burgers in the freezer.

But hey, I'm a grownup. I realize that everything's not going to go my way. I really hope this season doesn't turn into one of those "I told you so" moments where the Redskins eff up again. I really hope that Taylor is more similar of a pickup to London Fletcher or Pete Kendall than to TJ Duckett.

But now I'm really looking back at the 2006 draft and wondering why we picked Landry over Okoye, especially when we already had Taylor. But I can't cry over spilled milk. This is just how we've been playing our hand so far. And just like I cheer on Landry, I'll cheer on Jason Taylor. I just wonder what the excuse will be next year when we - once again - don't address the defensive line.

We didn't address it in the draft because as Vinny said, they didn't feel any DE's were worthy of a 2nd rounder and Merling was taken by Miami earlier. Also, everyone seems to forget that we snagged a former 1st round DE in Erasmus James from the Vikes for a conditional 7th. At 25, if he rehabs the knee (he's running already-non contact though) he could be our future force, not to mention Chris Wilson was really showing something at the end of the year.

Yet another old player pickup. /sighs

When will we go the youth route and stop taking players in the +30 catagory ?

How many years does he have left in his tank at 33 ?

I guess with Daniels down we needed a body

The problem is Dan Snyder is convinced the team is one or two players from winning the Superbowl. He has yet to take a stab at building a team.

Successful teams with a solid foundations are the ones who should go after high-profile free agents. An example was last year when the Pats went after Randy Moss.

Losing Daniels was bad. However, even with a healthy Daniels playing at 100%, the Redskins would still suck.

I voted No!

The Redskins, believing they are one or two players from a Superbowl trophy, go after another high-priced, superstar Free Agent. This has "Dieon Sanders" written all over it. This Taylor guy is way past his prime and is just looking for a huge signing bonus. He will not be on the team in 2009. He will be off doing "Dancing with the Stars", laughing at the Redskins just like Sanders did.

Taylor wanted out of Miami, because he did not feel like working anymore.

The Redskins need to be a little patient here. Go after some hungry undrafted free agents for league minimum.

The Redskins have Cowboys, Giants and Eagles to deal with.

With new coaches and coordinators, this is certainly a time to build for the future. A team does not build for the future by signing high-priced superstar free-agents.

8-8 is extremely optimistic. I am guessing 4-12.

This move proves that Snyder and Cerrato have not learned anything.

Deion Sanders? Get real, he's still under his original contract which has 2 years and Miami has to pick up the tab for any remaining signing bonus. At least pretend to know what you are talking about. Vinny said he MIGHT be willing to sign an extension, but that could be 2 years down the road. Some of you just have too many knee-jerk reactions without thinking about the situation. Erasmus James? Chris Wilson? How about those undrafted young players. Buzbee was one before he got hurt.

The Skins had to get the deal done because Taylor is a proven commodity that has (knock on wood) never missed a game in his NFL career. He is a 2 time defensive MVP, with the most recent being in 2006, and a potential HOF candidate. So what if he is 34, Daniels is 35. So what if he doesn't play for 3+years. I personally, am sick and tire of waiting for "the future". We were a playoff team a year ago, with a mediocre defensive line. We have the SAME team and we now have, agruably, the second best D-line in the division.

Doc Walker said it best. The addition of Taylor gives us an edge because now we have versitility that we lacked with Philip. Teams aren't going to know where to slide the line or where Andre or Jason are going to line up. Not to mention we have Demetric Evans, Chris Wilson and Marcus Washington that can rush the passer as well.

Stop harping on the loss of a draft pick. We added one of the best D-ends in football yesterday. This was a great move that needed to be made and INSTANTLY makes us a better team.

Good points and everyone forgets we had TEN draft picks this past year, so it's not like we went out and signed EVERY FA out there. He was a trade and we get his current contract. No signing bonus. No 5 or 6 year deal that will effect the cap down the road. What's not to like? :applause:

To lose twho defensive ends on the first day of training camp is incredibly unfortunate but to be able to bring in Taylor, someone younger than Daniels with an exceptional resume, less than two hours after the injury was announced is a testemant to Vinny Cerrato and his staff. How can you not be excited about it. I guarantee every other team in the NFC East had a a collective, "Oh sh*t!"

Archived