Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good is Santana Moss?

Thinking Skins

Moss needs his legs just to play or he is totally ineffective. Teams are not scared of him, they went to an umbrella shell defense against us because we had no other weapon. Moss isn't a top 15 WR even when 100% healthy.

I can name 15 Right now.

Burress, Owens, Donald Driver, Roy Williams, Marques Colston, Larry Fitz, Boldin, Torry Holt, Tj Hous, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Hines Ward, Andre Johnson, Braylon Edwards. Im still forgetting others but he will never be better than any of these guys

Health aside, Moss would be more dangerous if he wasn't counted on as being a true #1. He has the big play potential that rivals the Other Moss, but he can't be a catch-hog. Which is why it is so crucial for either Kelly, Thomas, or both to step up their game, and rack up the receptions alongside Cooley to open up the deep ball for Moss, and potentially ARE and maybe, maybe even Kelly.

I stand by it though. If Moss couldn't produce without legs, then he shouldn't be playing. Its that simple. He had a bad year last year, no matter what the excuses are. If he has another bad year, then I can imagine him being benched in favor of Thomas.

Yea I was just saying don't compare the injuries. I am with you on this. I don't know about benched, but defintely a #2.

However, we may treat him like a star, but he is not paid like a star. He makes what he produces. He is a very affordable WR with the talent he possess.

I think he is a very good player. Top 20 wide reciever in my opinion. I LOVE the way he adjusts to catch a deep ball and I love his concentration and speed and jumping ability when he gets them thrown to him. He is one of the biggest deep threats in the NFL IMO...He doesn't get enough deep balls thrown to him I think..

Like others have said, Santana is definetly a #1 WR when healthy. He's a different kind of #1 than Randy Moss, TO, etc, because he doesn't have the size. He had an off yr, but who doesn't.. this yr will be a defining yr for him.

In a more spread out set, like a singleback 3wr 1te set, defenses won't be able to double cover him and shade coverage to his side. Yes he doesn't have size, and he's not really an "over the middle" type of receiver, but his speed/quickness are second to no one.

His hands should get better this yr. Let's not forget, TO had a ton of dropped balls a couple seasons ago, and improved considerably the following yr.

Moss has never had a complement on the other side that allowed him to set defenses up on a consistent basis.

He is smallish at 5'10 but is willing to go over the middle and take some abuse.

The Redskins will be better off in 2008 because he no longer has to do that. We have bigger, taller receivers who are more physical.

That will allow Moss to work the coverage and come up with some long gainers that we didn't see in 2007.

Once again, the faithless sound off!!!

What will it take for some people to be truly satisfied? Santana Moss is a rock, our rock, and I would not give him up for anything, period! This guy plays his heart out and yeah some times, he gets a little burnt out and losses a little focus when injured. Speed is greatest asset. When a speedster gets a hammy or other lower half injury it will certainly throw him a bit. You can count those time on one hand though, and he's entitled. More often than not SM gets it done. Many times while most "fans" are thinking he can't. He is tough as nails, an absolute workhorse, and always a homerun threat. With a passer friendly offense and some more consistant producers on the O side of the ball I am sure #89 will be etched on every Defensive Coordinator's whiteboard. If he's not, that's good too. Even you of little faith know that he is the last one to turn your back on. Ask the Cowgirls....

HAIL

Santana Moss' best season came in 2005 when we ran somewhat of a WCO-type passing style with lots of screens and quick slants. Those were the passes that Moss took for huge gains back then. If he stays healthy (and that may be a big if), he should rebound.

Moss was a big part of a late season run in 2007 as well. He can make the clutch catches and be a playmaker deep as well.

He brought us out off the Dallas funk. If you put the ball near him he will go get it. If he is healthy I think he is a top 10 reciever. If Thomas, Kelly and Davis pan out. You cant pick two of the same posistions, in the top off the draft that end up a bust can you. One off them has to make an impact. You can use Cooley or Davis in wr sets and DT and MK in te sets. Get it together Zorn and win some games. Hiring Saunders was a mistake. The last five games of 2005 our offense was the best in the nfl thanks to Santana. Gibbs had to much other stuff going on and thought Saunders would take the load off his shoulders. This year is going to be a different season than the ones we have been used to. Santana is capable of leading the league in yards and TD's

I am late to this party, but my 2 cents is that Moss needs to drop less balls and fumble less, but he's still the #1 WR on this team for a bit.

These are not excuses, but they are factors: 1. he was hurt a lot. 2. JC and he never practiced together, and for that matter neither did he and TC during training camp due to injuries. 3. During the season, with the o-line woes, getting time to throw the ball down field was a problem.

when healthy, Moss is a great receiver. Is he a TO or Moss? No. But no one in the league is or comes close to those two so its unfair to compare Moss to two sure-fire HOF and all-time great players at their positions.

Moss started off great in the first half of '05 and in the second half he slowed down a bit. That tends to happen when you lose your only other legitimate WR(David Patten). Keep in mind he still finished the season with some big games(Giants, Cowboys come to mind) and we had CP carrying the load with 5 straight 100 yard games to end the year.

In '06, he was moved to a new position, which was an absolutely idiotic move by Saunders. So he had to learn a new system(with a 700 page playbook) and deal with having B.LLoyd as his #2. Not to mention Brunell's inability/reluctance to throw the ball farther than 5 yards past the LOS. He still did good early in the year, including a mosnter game against the Jags. Indianapolis game Moss injures his hammy. He struggles for the rest of the year, but ends the season with a great game against the Giants.

In '07, this was the only year that I was disappointed in Moss' play. While he did have to deal with being placed out of position, lined up on the same side of the team's other big threat(Cooley) and hamstring injuries, he just seemed to have problems catching/holding on to the ball. He also was unlucky with Campbell overthrowing him on some deep balls. He just didn't seem to be in sync with Campbell. Enter Collins, and Moss ends the season with some great games. He also played great for 3.5 Quarters of the Seattle game, including being wide ass opened for a deep TD pass that thanks to Seattle's pass rush, Collins couldn't get the ball to him.

I have only two concerns for Moss entering this year. One, is will he stay healthy. The other is if he has better chemistry with Campbell, like he did late in '06. If he stays relatively injury-free(mainly hamstring issues) and he and Campbell have the chemistry they did in late '06, then I expect a great year from Moss with #1 type stats.

Once again, the faithless sound off!!!

What will it take for some people to be truly satisfied? Santana Moss is a rock, our rock, and I would not give him up for anything, period! This guy plays his heart out and yeah some times, he gets a little burnt out and losses a little focus when injured. Speed is greatest asset. When a speedster gets a hammy or other lower half injury it will certainly throw him a bit. You can count those time on one hand though, and he's entitled. More often than not SM gets it done. Many times while most "fans" are thinking he can't. He is tough as nails, an absolute workhorse, and always a homerun threat. With a passer friendly offense and some more consistant producers on the O side of the ball I am sure #89 will be etched on every Defensive Coordinator's whiteboard. If he's not, that's good too. Even you of little faith know that he is the last one to turn your back on. Ask the Cowgirls....

HAIL

qft

Archived