Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How good is Santana Moss?

Thinking Skins

This is part of my offseason analysis of the team. I've been discussing Jason Campbell and his performance last year, but I think the performance of Santana Moss is closely tied to Campbell's (and Collins's) performance.

Here are his stats throughout the season last year on a game by game analysis.

(COMP/ATT/YDS/TDS)

Miami

3/7/28

(completions of 8, 4, 16 yards)

Philly

6/10/89

(completions of 8, 8, 48, 9, 11, 5 yards)

Giants

3/8/82

(completions of 49, 18, 13 yards)

Detroit

DNP

Packers

0/5/0

Arizona

2/2/8

(completions of 2, 6 yards)

Patriots

4/11/41

(completions of 4, 8, 8, 1, 5, 15 yards)

Jets

4/7/49

(completions of 12, 12, 8, 9 yards)

Eagles

DNP

Dallas

9/11/121/1

(completions of (17, 16, 20, 32, 9, 7, 5, 5, 10 yards)

Bucks

5/11/37

(completions of 7(fumble), 5, 8, 5, 12 yards)

Bills

5/10/63

(completions of 6, 21, 19, 11, 6 yards)

Bears

JC

2/3/13

TC

1/3/16

Total

3/6/29

(completions of (8, 5, 16 yards)

Giants

3/9/75

(completions of 36, 5, 34 yards)

Vikings

4/6/71/1

(completions of 5, 32, 11, 23 yards)

Dallas

8/11/115

(completions of 16, 4, 3, 21, 15, 1, 13, 42 yards)

Seattle

5/13/68/1

(completions of 6, 7, 8, 3, 20, 14 yards)

So in total, he was 64/127/876 with 3 TDs, averaging about 14 yards per reception and 7 yards per attempt.

The stats can be broken down further, but how concrete is his spot in the lineup?

The question isn't how good is Santana Moss. The question is how healthy is Santana Moss.

When he's in and healthy, he's a great playmaker. When he's banged up, well, I just hope we never see another performance like we did against the Packers.

100% he is going to make the team and obviously be our number #1 WR for a few more years...unless we make a big time trade or free agent acquistion next off-season...or DT or MK are Randy Moss type players...

How good is Moss? I think he has the potential to be a very good WR maybe top 12 WR in the league...He has exceptional speed in the open field...but I dont see the same attributes that Steve Smith has that would ever make him an elite WR...

2005 he had a great year...I think he also had several HUGE games that inflated his stats that year though...

I am glad we have him however I would like the skins to get a true #1 WR...hopefully Kelly or Thomas can fill those shoes

You have to remember that Moss wasn't really healthy until the end of last season. And the Skins weren't really a passing team. But when healthy, Moss is a very good receiver. I think his spot is concrete.

I hear that, but if he can't perform he shouldn't be out on the field. He was out there and him at 50% may have hurt the team in critical situations. If he has those same lingering injuries this year, do you think he'll just get sent to the bench?

Moss will be very good if healthy, and I think he will benefit from having other threats on the field. The bottom line is the only other really viable receiver that's been on the field since he's been here in Washington is Cooley. Hopefully adding Davis, Kelly, and Thomas will help open some things up for Moss, as will simply having more 3 and 4 WR sets.

100% he is going to make the team and obviously be our number #1 WR for a few more years...unless we make a big time trade or free agent acquistion next off-season...or DT or MK are Randy Moss type players...

How good is Moss? I think he has the potential to be a very good WR maybe top 12 WR in the league...He has exceptional speed in the open field...but I dont see the same attributes that Steve Smith has that would ever make him an elite WR...

2005 he had a great year...I think he also had several HUGE games that inflated his stats that year though...

I am glad we have him however I would like the skins to get a true #1 WR...hopefully Kelly or Thomas can fill those shoes

His game against the Packers was worse than any Rod Gardner 50/50 game ever.

He's an average #1 receiver. We need Thomas or Kelly to become a legit #1 threat. Moss is too unreliable.

Well, as a follow up question, what is a true #1?

I'd just think its a WR that a QB knows he can depend on to get him out of trouble. In that respect, I'd say that Cooley and to a lesser extent ARE were more of a true number 1 target than Moss. Moss had his moments when he was on (like the Dallas game), but he also had his moments he was WAAAAY off (like the Packers game). Thats too much unreliability for me. I know ARE is limited, but he seemed a little more consistent in games than Moss was, particularly early on.

Moss will be very good if healthy, and I think he will benefit from having other threats on the field. The bottom line is the only other really viable receiver that's been on the field since he's been here in Washington is Cooley. Hopefully adding Davis, Kelly, and Thomas will help open some things up for Moss, as will simply having more 3 and 4 WR sets.

I don't buy that. Randel El turned into our best receiver at the end of the season. Other threats in the game won't make his hands softer.

He's losing his hands. Call it confidence or whatever you want....he's dropping too many balls.

When he's on....he's great...but I'm not happy with last years showing. Maybe our new young guys will light a fire under him.

Right, exactly, having a bum hamstring or whatever ailment he's had doesn't stop you from dropping the ball when it hit him in the hands.

Moss was banged up last year and the passing offense didn't click until Collins stepped in.

I think he proved in 2005 that when healthy, he can be a Top 10 receiver in this league. He is tough as hell, quick as ****, and makes great adjustments to the ball. (Anyone that can grab nearly 1,500 yards in one season from Mark Brunell must be making several adjustments once the ball is thrown.)

He is our #1 man, and I couldn't be happier. All you Santana-haters will be eating your words if he can stay healthy this season.

Santana Moss just needs focus. Have you seen the way he adjusts to the ball in the air and gets it? He can definitely catch the football, I don't know what happened last year.

He just needs to focus and everything will come to him. (except maybe health, let's cross our fingers.) He is a great player though.

His game against the Packers was worse than any Rod Gardner 50/50 game ever.

He's an average #1 receiver. We need Thomas or Kelly to become a legit #1 threat. Moss is too unreliable.

I agree. I think he'd become dangerous in the slot if we could get solid production out of Thomas and Kelly. It might end up that way in a few years if he takes a pay cut of sorts.

BTW, we have the same first name. :)

Well, as a follow up question, what is a true #1?

I'd just think its a WR that a QB knows he can depend on to get him out of trouble. In that respect, I'd say that Cooley and to a lesser extent ARE were more of a true number 1 target than Moss. Moss had his moments when he was on (like the Dallas game), but he also had his moments he was WAAAAY off (like the Packers game). Thats too much unreliability for me. I know ARE is limited, but he seemed a little more consistent in games than Moss was, particularly early on.

a true #1 WR is a player that controls the defensive scheme on every play...He is a guy that keeps D-coordinators up all night on how to cover him...I dont think S. Moss has that threat...

Moss is an explosive player but the whole defensive scheme doesnt revolve around him...

Remember Dallas last year, TO 4 tds...thats what a #1 WR does to a defense when he is not accounted for on every play...

moss is a beast in open field and excells in YAC, but ut was kinda hard this year for him to perfrom at top levels when the defense would always double team him since we would come out of 1 AnD 2 reciever sets..with more options to spread the field and more receivers in different formations..watch out for mismatches with moss that end up going for 6

If the MOSS of 2005 can show up. He is damn unstopable. I beleive Zorn is putting him back to that spot as a WR he had in 05. HAIL SKINS!

How impressive were his 2005 stats? He was impressive in 7 of the first 9 games, but in the last 7 games he only hit the 100 yard mark once, and the 80 yard mark twice. Are those the type of stats we are looking for in a #1?

And who is to say that his hamstring won't go out again? Maybe the problem is that he's too used to Chad Pennington and Brunell's soft passes and he can't handle passes from Campbell. Maybe he's just a deep threat and not an every down type player, or a third down type player. Thats cool to me, but is that what we want from our #1 WR?

I hear that, but if he can't perform he shouldn't be out on the field. He was out there and him at 50% may have hurt the team in critical situations. If he has those same lingering injuries this year, do you think he'll just get sent to the bench?

How was that his call? Perhaps some of the responsibility for having a player at 50% should go towards the coaching staff?

Santana is a stud when healthy. He is our #1, and will remain so until he is traded/released/retired.

And no, I don't believe he will have lingering injuries. And if he does get injured this season ::gasp:: we will be ok.

Zorn may deactivate him, if he is not healthy. The Skins are deep at WR.

Inflated his stats??? He had the second most receiving yards that year behind Steve Smith. He was incredible that year for us. Plus, the fact that the last few games Clinton Portis really carried the load on that winning streak shows how good of a year he had. If we could give him some help out there, I'm sure he can put up excellent numbers. When there is only 1 WR threat on the field, defenses will shut them down. Health is another issue. If he's healthy and at full speed, I'm sure he'll blow by defenders like before. Hopefully some of these receivers can open up some room for him to work with.

a true #1 WR is a player that controls the defensive scheme on every play...He is a guy that keeps D-coordinators up all night on how to cover him...I dont think S. Moss has that threat...

Moss is an explosive player but the whole defensive scheme doesnt revolve around him...

Remember Dallas last year, TO 4 tds...thats what a #1 WR does to a defense when he is not accounted for on every play...

The Skins weren't a passing team under Gibbs. They were a run first team. So, defensive coordinators knew that stopping Portis was the key to beating the Skins. A lot different this year. Defenses can no longer put 8 in the box to stop Portis. Skins will pass and pass and pass. And then run the football. Moss could have a huge year. When healthy, he is very good. We'll see.

Archived