Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The End of the Internet is Near

HogNose

:paranoid:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,376871,00.html

Digitial Doomsday?

The end of the Internet is near — and in less than three years, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

The reason? More than 85% of the available addresses have already been allocated and the OECD predicts we will have run out completely by early 2011.

These aren’t the normal web addresses you type into your browser’s window, and which were recently freed up by Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, the body responsible for allocating domain names, to allow thousands of new internet domains ending in, for instance, .newyork, .london or .xxx.

Beneath those names lie numerical Internet protocol addresses that denote individual devices connected to the internet. These form the foundation for all online communications, from e-mail and web pages to voice chat and streaming video.

When the current IP address scheme was introduced in 1981, there were fewer than 500 computers connected to the Internet. Its founders could be forgiven for thinking that allowing for a potential 4 billion would last for ever. However, less than 30 years later, the Internet is rapidly running out. Every day thousands of new devices ranging from massive web servers down to individual mobile phones go online and gobble up more combinations and permutations.

“Shortages are already acute in some regions,” says the OECD. “The situation is critical for the future of the internet economy.”

As addresses run dry we will all feel the pinch: Internet speeds will drop and new connections and services will either be expensive or simply impossible to obtain. The solution to the IP address shortage is an upgrade to new addresses that can accommodate our hunger for online connectivity. Such a system, called IPv6, was agreed more than a decade ago, providing enough addresses for billions upon billions of devices as well as improving Internet phone and video calls, and possibly even helping to end e-mail spam.

There are a lot of addresses not being used. These could be freed up, either by paying the current owners or taking them.

Moving to IPv6 would eliminate the problem.

A third approach would be the use of NATs where a public IPv4 address connects to a private network.

Nothing to worry about.

I hope so.

How old is internet? I don't remember it much as a toddler. Maybe when I was 5 or 6, I have memories of it then. The point is, it's not that old. We're all still engulfed in the novelty of it, we don't realize that it's just another passing phase in technology. Soon we'll develop even better ways to achieve the same goals internet does now.

yeesh fox is almost as bad as weekly world news.

seriously. the past few articles that have been posted are so stupid and grossly ubnbelievable makes me wonder where they get their reporters.

I know..I should have realized it came from Fox before I posted it. :doh: They are getting pretty bad these days with their news articles. You'd think CHINA had hacked in there and started posting articles. :silly:

I agree, lazy journalism. The article doesn't bother to mention what the world is doing about the shortage. And, what the heck does the OECD know about IPv4? Perhaps they should have asked the people at IANA (Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) what they are doing or the people at ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers) when dealing the U.S. problem.

What I also find sad is that Fox copied this from the Times of London. Well, the U.S. and it's corporations own a large chunk of the current IPv4 address space. That other countries are crying and running out of addresses is not surprising.

They also don't mention what Microsoft has been doing. They are incorporating IPv6 in their operating system for use.

Lastly, don't you think Cisco has not created a router that can translate IPv4 to/from IPv6?

And, if memory serves, and it has been a while, but I believe Internet 2 has been using IPv6 for a while. They have been testing it and implemented many IPv6 changes into existing IPv4 networks. A lot of the security changes have been in place for a while.

Yes, there is a second Internet (http://www.internet2.edu/). Select About and Network to learn more.

seriously. the past few articles that have been posted are so stupid and grossly ubnbelievable makes me wonder where they get their reporters.

Republican fundraisers.

High Schools that don't teach evolution.

Pat Robertson's University.

:)

Actually, from what I've read, they're having trouble pushing IPv6, because the common adoption of technologies like NAT keep solving the crisis, therefore people don't see a reason to implement anything new.

:paranoid:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,376871,00.html

Digitial Doomsday?

The end of the Internet is near — and in less than three years, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

The reason? More than 85% of the available addresses have already been allocated and the OECD predicts we will have run out completely by early 2011.

The first time I read about this was back in 1998. Back then they were saying we would exhaust the ip addresses within 12 months....

Today even if this issue is becoming more real, we have an entirely new ip addressing system for the IPv6, which relies on four 32 bit numbers rather than 4 8 bit numbers. Which would increase the availible addresses by more than 100 orders of magnatude.

Circa 1998...

The Internet grew extremely quickly in the mid-1990s. Had the pace continued, ISPs could theoretically have run out of IP addresses to assign to customers, effectively blocking any more people from getting on the Net. Speculation grew that the Net would need to make an emergency switchover from IPv4 to the new IPv6. IPv6, the next generation Internet Protocol, uses much larger address numbers and can accommodate all of the Net's future growth.

Several changes occured in the late 1990s, however, that prevented an impending "address crisis." An improved routing technology called CIDR was successfully deployed, helping ISPs better manage their IP addresses. In addition, network appliances failed to materialize. Had the ideas around appliances materialized, everyone's toasters, ovens and televisions would each have been given their own IP address on the Internet in order to communicate and do wonderful things. It didn't happen.

Although the Internet doesn't have much need for IPv6 today, expect this technology to make a revival in the coming years.

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/weekly/aa021403b.htm

Archived