Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin you missed the boat on

RedskinNutt

Darnerien McCants. Saw him make some great catches--one or two acrobatic touchdowns. I was sooooo willing to overlook how he was kinda slow (physically).

The whole Redskins D-Line from 2000-2003. (Bruce Smith, anyone? Anyone?)

Taylor Jacobs. I kept thinking, if only we could get him the ball a little more.

Michael Westbrook....yup, I thought he was all that and a bag of chips. I also was such a homer about Steve Spurrier.....I thought our Skins would be scoring 4 and 5 TDs per game with him as coach....boy was I soooooooo wrong. I currently have the same feelings about coach ZORN and the new WRs and TE that were just drafted.....

Anytime we bring in a new player or coach I have to believe he'll be part of the solution. I mean, Dallas found Romo sits to pee, New England found Brady. I don't ask for much, just another Jacoby or two on the oline or a Dexter Manley for the dline.

I had high hopes for Big Daddy as his story reminded me of Dave Butz. Dave was taken in the first round by the Cards but was a bust and did not live up to expectations the first couple of years here.

Darnerien McCants. Saw him make some great catches--one or two acrobatic touchdowns. I was sooooo willing to overlook how he was kinda slow (physically).

The whole Redskins D-Line from 2000-2003. (Bruce Smith, anyone? Anyone?)

Taylor Jacobs. I kept thinking, if only we could get him the ball a little more.

Man that entire 2003 defensive line was a disaster

Bernard Holsey

Lional Dalton

Jermaine Haley

Peppi Zellner

Darrell Russell

Martin Chase

Regan Upshaw

:toilet: :pooh: :pooh:

I really believed out of our 2006 acquisitions, Archuleta and Lloyd would step up the most. I was drooling over those videos of Lloyd's acrobatic catches, and really thought that the Archuleta/Taylor combo would be the most feared in the league.

Wrong ... DEAD WRONG ... :doh:

I really believed out of our 2006 acquisitions, Archuleta and Lloyd would step up the most. I was drooling over those videos of Lloyd's acrobatic catches, and really thought that the Archuleta/Taylor combo would be the most feared in the league.

Wrong ... DEAD WRONG ... :doh:

Well don't give youself such a hard time hero. You're surely not alone on that topic.

Ramsey.

I had some solid seats at FedEx for a preseason game in his rookie year.... I just remember how strong his arm looked compared to all our other QB's, and I got really excited.

I still think if we had run some shotgun/spread formations like Tulane, Ramsey would have put up some awesome numbers. His confidence was crushed here in DC, and I still wish we would have given him a real chance to succeed.

Talked about numerous times here already. Its funny people think they are cool starting new threads, when in fact they have been beaten to death in the past.

Damn i cant wait for the season to start! :rolleyes:

You know I usually get annoyed at people that bash threads that have been recycled a bunch of time, but dang, this topic HAS BEEN SOOOOOO WORN OUT.

I'm with you on this butz! :laugh:

guys, even though I joined in 06, I really didn't start posting until this year. I apologize if this is a tired topic, i didn't know. I don't go searching the site on the regular to see if something's already been addressed. This wasn't an attempt to be cool as much as it was an attempt to actually start posting things for once and talking to other fans.

guys, even though I joined in 06, I really didn't start posting until this year. I apologize if this is a tired topic, i didn't know. I don't go searching the site on the regular to see if something's already been addressed. This wasn't an attempt to be cool as much as it was an attempt to actually start posting things for once and talking to other fans.

Don't worry about it man.

Just use the "Read Me: An Easier Way to Search ES" next time.

No need to listen to people that do nothing but pop into threads they don't like and tell you how much they dislike it.

...that is unless its REALLY stupid, which this isn't.

He might've been a rookie or a free agent, and you were so sure he was going to be the next big thing, the best thing since sliced bread.

But he blew up right in your face. From time to time, your friends bring them up to clown your poor judgement.

Who was it for you?

I have a couple:

Timmy Smith- C'mon, 204 yards in the SB, who didn't think he would have a job for more than 1 year after that!!!?????

Desmond Howard- He was the hesiman trophy winner for pete's sake!!!

Dana Stubblefield- Defensive POY, thought he would amount to SOMETHING

Every franchise has misses on potential players, look at were Favre and Young started, and look what they developed into after they were traded.

We hit on alot more players, especially w/ Gibbs than what we missed on. :point2sky

Anytime we bring in a new player or coach I have to believe he'll be part of the solution. I mean, Dallas found Romo sits to pee, New England found Brady. I don't ask for much, just another Jacoby or two on the oline or a Dexter Manley for the dline.

I had high hopes for Big Daddy as his story reminded me of Dave Butz. Dave was taken in the first round by the Cards but was a bust and did not live up to expectations the first couple of years here.

Think about it though. When's the last time we had a true "Franchise Quarterback"? Sonny was the last one, but we got him in a trade. Joey T. as also a trade from the Dolphins. We have NEVER drafted an Elway, Manning, Marino, Montana, Brady, Favre type QB. I would love to have a franchise QB that is in the top 5 of all categories every year for 12 years. We always rely on trade (Sonny, Joey T), castoffs (Williams), scrubs (Schroeder) and late round picks (Rypien) to take us to the SB. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE ONE? WHEN IS IT OUR TURN? Sorry to yell. I just watch other teams ride their QB's to glory and ours taking sacks.

SF had Montana and Young back to back. Dallass had Staubach and Aikman and looks like they found another. The Colts have had Unitas and now Manning. The Packers had Starr and Favre. Screw the lines, I want a franchise QB.

Michael Westbrook. I think if we got him the ball more than we did he would have panned out.

Westbrook is who I thought of when I read the title to this thread. I too believed that MW really had the potential to do something special...but it just wasn't in the cards for him.

Think about it though. When's the last time we had a true "Franchise Quarterback"? Sonny was the last one, but we got him in a trade. Joey T. as also a trade from the Dolphins. We have NEVER drafted an Elway, Manning, Marino, Montana, Brady, Favre type QB. I would love to have a franchise QB that is in the top 5 of all categories every year for 12 years. We always rely on trade (Sonny, Joey T), castoffs (Williams), scrubs (Schroeder) and late round picks (Rypien) to take us to the SB. WHY CAN'T WE HAVE ONE? WHEN IS IT OUR TURN? Sorry to yell. I just watch other teams ride their QB's to glory and ours taking sacks.

SF had Montana and Young back to back. Dallass had Staubach and Aikman and looks like they found another. The Colts have had Unitas and now Manning. The Packers had Starr and Favre. Screw the lines, I want a franchise QB.

Romo sits to pee was a UDFA, a guy nobody wanted. Brady was a 7 everybody passed on several times before a flyer was taken. A weak-armed Montana was a 3. Farve, a fat man with a bad attitude and a possible career-ending injury, was a trade. In all my years as a Redskins fan, Rypien is the closest thing to a late-round blue chip we've ever found at QB.

But really I only picked QBs here because their easy. Why can't we ever find a Rod Smith (great WR who was a UDFA) or a 7-time pro-bowler UDFA like John Randle? Heck, how about a late-round gem of a WR like Colston? Isn't it time we get another Jacoby? Don't expect it, but wouldn't it be great if Reinhardt turned out to be almost as good as Grimm? Point is, I've seen great talent pickers go with the proverbial can't miss pick and mess up. I've seen mediocre FOs find late round gems and UDFAs.

BTW, does Romo sits to pee remind anybody else of Danny White? Lots of good performances, very dominating at times, but a choker in the big ones.

Think about it though. When's the last time we had a true "Franchise Quarterback"? Sonny was the last one, but we got him in a trade. Joey T. as also a trade from the Dolphins. We have NEVER drafted an Elway, Manning, Marino, Montana, Brady, Favre type QB.

.... Screw the lines, I want a franchise QB.

I agree. I think the biggest boat the Skins missed on over the last 12 years or so, is in not finding/trading/or developing a bonafide franchise QB

Now I'd like to think I don't miss the boat too often. (Okay, maybe I thought Ryan Leaf would be a great QB, and I'm still in denial about Lloyd.) But here's someone many might agree they were surprised by too.

No one has mentioned Jeff George.

He was was a highly rated QB, top draft-pick, etc.,with great talent. But with the Skins, ...splat.doh.gif

I really thought Jeff George was going to take the Redskins a long way. Heck, all through his tenure with the Skins, he still showed he had that 'million-dollar arm' -- but also so many other negatives. I'm still a little puzzled on how everything fizzled so badly.frown.gif

I've got to say Vinny. I've been posting negative comments on that guy's intelligence since we hired him, but it seems like he may actually be a smart guy. He put together what may be one of the best offseasons he's ever had. I'm kind of impressed with that. Hopefully it pays off and I am continued to be proven wrong, but this offseason in itself is a surprise to me. I would have expected another Stubby/Wilkinson type of contracts to be offered (I know Vinny didn't offer those contracts, but those are the type I expect him to offer).

I agree. I think the biggest boat the Skins missed on over the last 12 years or so, is in not finding/trading/or developing a bonafide franchise QB

Now I'd like to think I don't miss the boat too often. (Okay, maybe I thought Ryan Leaf would be a great QB, and I'm still in denial about Lloyd.) But here's someone many might agree they were surprised by too.

No one has mentioned Jeff George.

He was was a highly rated QB, top draft-pick, etc.,with great talent. But with the Skins, ...splat.doh.gif

I really thought Jeff George was going to take the Redskins a long way. Heck, all through his tenure with the Skins, he still showed he had that 'million-dollar arm' -- but also so many other negatives. I'm still a little puzzled on how everything fizzled so badly.frown.gif

Why, he was exactly as advertised. Great arm, malcontent with a horrible additude and zero work ethic. And after 11 years in the league (when we got him) that wasnt going to change.

Archived