Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Asking the dealer how much they bought the car for??

gortiz

I got a friend who is a all world general sales manager for a high end luxery dealership.

He told me he bought a Range Rover for his dealership at auction for 27K, sold it to a lady coming from d.c. for 40K and the blue book was like 42K, she thought she got a deal... but really she didn't cause she could have negotiated more if she knew how much the car was bought for ...

anybody ever ask a dealer how much they paid for a car?

I want to come out and just do this, but I'm not sure how the dealer will react. I would ask my friend, but I'm thinking of buying a car from him and I don't know how he would react ...

Hey, do you also ask the store mgr. at the supermarket how much their cost is on their steaks? How about when you buy jewelry for your wife or girlfriend? How about when you buy shirts and neckties.....do you ask to see Macy's invoice too? The auto dealer should throw your cheap butt into the streets. Oh, right...it's OK for a jewelry store to sell a diamond ring for 40 grand and make a 15 grand profit, but a similar profit is not OK for an automobile dealership? Is it OK when YOU make a nice profit at YOUR job?

He told me he bought a Range Rover for his dealership at auction for 27K, sold it to a lady coming from d.c. for 40K and the blue book was like 42K, she thought she got a deal... but really she didn't cause she could have negotiated more if she knew how much the car was bought for ...

Thing is, if she got the car for 2K less than blue book, she did get a deal. Now the fact that its an SUV and she only got 2K less than blue book means she didn't do a very good job, but she did get a "deal." Could she have done better? Probably...doesn't mean she didn't get a good price. Its irrelevant how much the dealer bought it for - the only number that matters is how much they can sell it for.

Hey, do you also ask the store mgr. at the supermarket how much their cost is on their steaks? How about when you buy jewelry for your wife or girlfriend? How about when you buy shirts and neckties.....do you ask to see Macy's invoice too? The auto dealer should throw your cheap butt into the streets. Oh, right...it's OK for a jewelry store to sell a diamond ring for 40 grand and make a 15 grand profit, but a similar profit is not OK for an automobile dealership? Is it OK when YOU make a nice profit at YOUR job?

when steaks, neckties, and shirts start to cost 26K, you bet your hairy arse I'm going to ask ...

If someone believes they got a good deal, than they did regardless of what the dealer paid for the car.

A lot of times dealers will have kickbacks from the automaker on certain cars. Sometimes they will advertise them as cash back type of deal just to move the inventory, other times they will let you think you are getting a great deal when there is an extra 2000 bucks or so they can sell below invoice.

My wife works for a car dealership and does the financing, and while I like the people she works with personally, professionally they are all snakes. We had a friend go to buy a car from her dealership and because she wasn't there, they tried to gaff the guy and charge him an arm and a leg. We had him go to a different dealership, check out the same make/model, and somehow the price was dropped another 3 g's. Even if you did ask the dealer what their invoice was, they will lie to you. While there may be a some great, honest car salesmen/finance managers, do you really believe that you'll be lucky and get the one or two they have at that dealership? More than likely the snakes will be the ones who are nice and friendly and come out to you first, but you would never know.

Go in with Kelly blue book and a folder of all the options etc.

Go in stating you will NOT buy the car that day. If they keep pressuring you: Leave.

never use the MSRP, use the invoice and have them drop the DMA and destination.

Don't use the dealership :)

Go in with Kelly blue book and a folder of all the options etc.

Go in stating you will NOT buy the car that day. If they keep pressuring you: Leave.

never use the MSRP, use the invoice and have them drop the DMA and destination.

Don't use the dealership :)

good advice...

don't get the last sentence? if they don't give me the above don't use them??

I just go from dealer to dealer to see who can get me the best deal. This way you make them beat each others prices. Each dealer has a "holdback" amount which gives you more room to negotiate. Most car dealerships are giving away cars right now. I just bought a new car last week for $6,000 under MSRP which came out to be $1,200 under the original invoice.

I understand dealerships have to make money and I am sure they still made a little something off of me, but at least they werent laughing all the way to the bank like they do for most people.

I just go from dealer to dealer to see who can get me the best deal. This way you make them beat each others prices. Each dealer has a "holdback" amount which gives you more room to negotiate. Most car dealerships are giving away cars right now. I just bought a new car last week for $6,000 under MSRP which came out to be $1,200 under the original invoice.

I understand dealerships have to make money and I am sure they still made a little something off of me, but at least they werent laughing all the way to the bank like they do for most people.

Wow, a woman that can finagle (is that a word?) a car dealership.

Quite a woman! :silly:

Used cars are tricky. I've never bought a used car from a dealer... always from private individuals. I think you do better that way.

New cars are much easier. Access to dealer invoice on the exact make and model you are interested in are fairly easy to come by. Shop ARMED with this info. Make your first offer BELOW invoice. They might balk, they might not. If it's late in the year and the new models are on the lot, you might very well get it below invoice. If there is a lot of demand for the car, you might need to work upwards. General rule, imho, is to not pay more than $500 over invoice. If they will not budge, simply leave. Trust me, they'll call you in a few days, they always do. Especially in this economy. :)

Also, have financing lined up thru your bank. Only finance thru the dealer if they can beat the terms you're getting thru the bank. Many people negotiate a great price only to get raped on the financing. So do your homework there too.

The sales manager will hate you for having this info... they love the customers who think that $500 off sticker + 6 years of Financing is a good deal. :dunce:

No but they also don't add steak delivery fees, and other BS fees when you already agreed to a price.

Sorry car dealers have earned their reputation and they have no incentive to correct it. Im sure like most industries there are a few good ones out there but usually they are hard to find.

No dealer will tell you their true cost.

With all the new and used automotive sites on teh internets there is no excuse if you walk onto the lot not knowing to within a few hundred what others are paying for that make and model.

And I don't understand the premise of the original post; just because the dealer got a great deal from the previous seller, why should they have to pass the deal on to you?

We played a game in school based on this scenario:

Person A is a classic car dealer. A customer calls him and says he is looking for, say, a '57 Corvette and has $50k budget. Coincidentally Person A had been driving past a used car lot that day and saw one in very good condition.

Person B has just inherited the used car lot and is only interested in selling more modern cars and trucks. He wants to get rid of the Corvette. According to his records the '57 Corvette has a book value of $5k.

Person A and Person B don't know each others situation.

We went through this several times and a number of the people playing Person A were quite upset that someone could sell them a car for, say $40k, when it was only 'worth' $5k, even though in the scenario they would immediately flip it for a $10k profit.

Archived