Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Wouldn't you know it, the problem wasn't there this morning when I drove it to the garage. I hope they can reproduce the sound. 

when it gets low it will start to foam, especially with full turns ect

they should have no problem 

OK, so first off, I'm not a mechanic. I am a Service Advisor, and I've been doing this for the last 7 years.

ChasingAmyTracer_zpsd5fa4651.jpg

Sorry for the size, I've been wanting to make that joke for years, and this is the only picture I could find that has the right caption.

So glad this thread popped up. My car is smoking, and it's coming from a weird spot. 

10480230_10204495775617071_6467033450447

The smoke is coming from behind that piece that's circled in red.

The blue lines are where the smoke comes from when the hood is closed. 

I have NO idea what that piece is called. 

A dude from my church said it was a brake vacuum I think. It is right next to the brake fluid so I guess. I never heard of it before so I don't know. 

One more thing TWA, it only happens when the car sits for an extended period of time. Like when it first starts warming up.

brake fluid leaking onto the exhaust probably, 

you can feel where the master cylinder bolts to the booster(underneath) to tell or around the sensor where the wire is on the master cylinder

need to do something with it or smoke might be fire sometime......even if it is just hosing it off(and checking brake fluid level)

Sloshing sound, like fluid moving around, front end.  Never heard it before, and a co-worker heard it too, so it's not just me.  '99 Monte Carlo.

usually a pugged drain on the AC housing, but check your radiator coolant level as well

• 1 month later...

I was just reading an article that said that it's a no-no/not advisable to be on either end of a jump start (for a dead battery) in vehicles built after 2000, because of computers and electronics. The voltage spike from the jump start could cause a malfunction in the computer or electrical systems of either car.

Is this true?

I was just reading an article that said that it's a no-no/not advisable to be on either end of a jump start (for a dead battery) in vehicles built after 2000, because of computers and electronics. The voltage spike from the jump start could cause a malfunction in the computer or electrical systems of either car.

Is this true?

Anything is possible.

We normally use booster packs (jumper packs) as opposed to another car's battery for jump starting. We do this regularly. We also have customers come in because they had to have jump starts regularly. No negative electrical issues as long as the jump start was performed correctly.

Haven't seen any sort of issues, so I think that the author of the article was full of it. Also, there is no magical thing about the year 2000 and cars. In the US cars went to OBD2 in 1995-96 and have had the same system ever since. Granted, the computers are more complicated, but they are still speaking the same language.

So, no. It isn't true.

Edited by SpringfieldSkins

Thanks. I didn't think so either, but I have a very small sample of people I have jump started (battery to battery) in the last 15 years. 

The article was in a home improvement magazine—I assume it was a puff piece to sell more jumper packs since that's what they were recommending instead. 

Edited by Elessar78

• 2 weeks later...

Question re my wife's car, a 2009 Hyundai Veracruz (basically a slightly larger santa fe).

So, due to totally excusable circumstances that I won't describe in detail because it was my fault, the key got left in the ignition overnight one click forward so the electronics were on, which completely drained the battery.  Completely to the point that all the presets on the radio got reset, and it took 15 minutes hooked up to my car last night to get enough juice to be able to jumpstart it.

On jumpstarting, I noticed that the check engine light had come on.

I drove it around for 20-30 minutes after jumpstarting, check engine light stayed on.  I parked it in the garage overnight.  Started right up this morning with no problem at all, but the check engine light is still on.

It seems awfully coincidental that it would have come on suddenly right when I jumped it, but I think everything should have been reset when battery died so I don't know why an indicator light would have come on, and stayed on through this morning.  I don't like driving around with a check engine light on (especially with 2 young kids and it being winter), but I don't want to pay someone $50 or $100 to run one of those diagnostic tests if I really don't need it.

I'm pretty sure the battery is relatively new, that it was replaced maybe 4-6 months ago.

Thoughts?

Edited by Bliz

It is possible you've hurt some of the computers on board if you didn't put the cables on in the right order when jumping the car, but that is usually unlikely and would be more catastrophic than just a check engine light.

Like steve09 and Kosher Ham pointed out, just take it somewhere and have them plug it in and tell you the code. A lot of these places now will charge you a fee to then "look up the code". Don't do it, just write it down and google it. (Pep Boys I know does this, its likely others do too)

Edited by Rocket442Olds
  • Like 1

Free diagnostic?

Well, that changes everything

Thanks guys

There's no such thing as free.

They will scan the code and tell you what code is stored. They may even tell you a likely cause of the code. Then they will sell you some parts to try and install yourself and hours later, you've installed some cheap, low quality parts that didn't fix the problem because no one ever ran a proper diagnostic.

All it cost was what you paid for the part and the time and sweat spent replacing a part that didn't need to be replaced.

That's your free diagnostic at Pep Boys, Auto Zone or whatever.

As for the problem posted. I would reset the light and see if it comes back. It's very possible a low voltage situation caused the light. If it comes back, have someone run a proper diagnostic, not some minimum wage parts seller with a $30 code reader.

In favor of cleaning the mass air flow sensor?

I've heard mixed answers...

It's cheap, so worth a try.

If you don't have a problem and the fuel trim numbers are not out more then 10% then you probably won't see any benefit either way.

If there is a MAF code then it usually needs to be replaced. Cleaning it is worth a shot due to the cost.

Car will not start. The headlights turn on fine, when I turn the key it doesn't even click. Is it my starter?

Very likely.

If you can locate the starter, hit that sonofa**** with a hammer or something else hard. A lot of times that will knock it loose in order to get it to start.

Or try jump starting the batter as well just in case.

• Like 1