Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

So I had this rare, valuable coin on my dashboard. Just for a brief moment while I was driving. It was there one minute, gone the next. I'm pretty sure it fell into the vent at the base of the windshield. How can I rescue it?

P.S. I'm an idiot

P.P.S. Please give me good news. I can't afford to take this to a mechanic. I gotta do on my own. Please tell me it's easy. Please tell me I can do it.

I have a 2001 Ford Excursion that needs the front brake calibers replaced . I got a price of $350 parts and labor. Does that sound like a reasonable price? Also I am looking at a tune-up . Motor is 10 cylinders . Getting prices between $ 400 and $500. Does this sound like a fair price..

I have a 2001 Ford Excursion that needs the front brake calibers replaced . I got a price of $350 parts and labor. Does that sound like a reasonable price? Also I am looking at a tune-up . Motor is 10 cylinders . Getting prices between $ 400 and $500. Does this sound like a fair price..

Pricing is very localized. What "sounds good" in one locale may sound bad in another. To me those prices sound good but that's because I work at a shop in the most expensive area in the country. Go to a rural area and they don't sound so great.

For instance, an hour of labor in my area is typically about $100-$140. For one hour of labor. Go to central VA and you'll see labor closer to $50 an hour or less. This makes a huge difference in the price of service and repairs.

I've found that www.repairpal.com is fairly accurate at getting you a typical price given your area. Full disclosure, my business advertises with them and works with them.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Automatic. 110K miles. 

I put it in reverse to back out of my driveway, went about 20 feet and the car went into "neutral". Gear shift did not move back into N position, but I can't put it in either drive or reverse now. Engine still revs.

It's the transmission, definitely/most likely. Next step? Get it towed to a garage? 

Last few days, I've noticed some liquid staining the rocks in my driveway under the jeep. Initially thought it was from a contractor's truck I had over at the house earlier in the week. I smelled it and it didn't smell like anything so thought it might be condensation from the radiator or something. Could this be related?

2006 Jeep Liberty. Automatic. 110K miles. 

I put it in reverse to back out of my driveway, went about 20 feet and the car went into "neutral". Gear shift did not move back into N position, but I can't put it in either drive or reverse now. Engine still revs.

It's the transmission, definitely/most likely. Next step? Get it towed to a garage? 

Last few days, I've noticed some liquid staining the rocks in my driveway under the jeep. Initially thought it was from a contractor's truck I had over at the house earlier in the week. I smelled it and it didn't smell like anything so thought it might be condensation from the radiator or something. Could this be related?

Initial thought. It's a Chrysler and like most Chryslers at some point in time the transmission will need to be replaced. I would do my usual diligence and check the level of the fluid, linkages, etc. Most likely it's going to come back to some sort of internal failure meaning the transmission will either need to be rebuilt or replaced with a remanufactured unit (my preference).

As far as the leak, transmission fluid is red/pink/brown (if it hasn't been serviced in a while). If it's colorless and odorless then I'd doubt that's what your leak is.

Is there usually evidence of transmission problems in Chryslers leading up? Like you can feel it slip? I just tried it again, and got up the driveway but didn't want to drive around the neighborhood and risk it dying on me. 

Having it towed to a garage soon. So we'll see what they say tomorrow. 

Funny thing I was planning on putting it up for sale in the fall. That may have just moved up the equation. 

Is there usually evidence of transmission problems in Chryslers leading up? Like you can feel it slip? I just tried it again, and got up the driveway but didn't want to drive around the neighborhood and risk it dying on me. 

Having it towed to a garage soon. So we'll see what they say tomorrow. 

Funny thing I was planning on putting it up for sale in the fall. That may have just moved up the equation.

Sometimes there is warning, sometimes there isn't. If the car is in gear and it just revs and doesn't move then it's almost always a matter of transmission failure.

I just got under the jeep and IT IS transmission fluid. Pinkish fluid with some brown all over the chassis and mounts underneath the engine. Couldn't locate the source of the leak though.

I would check the fluid level. If it's low you can try topping it off to see if that helps. If it doesn't hold fluid, then you should have it towed. If there is any saving the transmission then you don't want to drive it with low fluid.

checking the fluid was a whole 'nother odyssey. I'm looking for the trans. dipstick can't see it. Then realize that the dealership took my dipstick out and didn't replace it when I got my trans. fluid flushed a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure because there is a screw cap with the words "Dealer Use Only" on it screwed into the check level shaft. 

I took a wire hanger and got it down there and there's some fluid but hard to tell how much. Since I can't tell how much, I'm having it towed to a shop. It's bad to add too much trans. fluid, right?

checking the fluid was a whole 'nother odyssey. I'm looking for the trans. dipstick can't see it. Then realize that the dealership took my dipstick out and didn't replace it when I got my trans. fluid flushed a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure because there is a screw cap with the words "Dealer Use Only" on it screwed into the check level shaft. 

I took a wire hanger and got it down there and there's some fluid but hard to tell how much. Since I can't tell how much, I'm having it towed to a shop. It's bad to add too much trans. fluid, right?

I doubt there was ever a dipstick there. Some later model Chryslers don't have one and we have one of two different "universal" dipsticks that we use to check the fluid level. You can thank Mercedes for that. They designed that type of "lifetime" transmission that makes it virtually impossible for an average joe to check the fluid level. Stupid turd German automakers.

Wow. Nothing is going to be easy about this. Gotta just smile through it. :D

Had it towed to the garage we use, because we trust them and the guy answers the phone, and he proceeds to tell me that the garage has closed down for business. :(

Best news I could've possibly expected. One of the transmission lines rusted out and was leaking. Got it replaced and she's back on the road. Not too bad considering I was fearing it would be a transmission failure or something. Got out of there for a little over 300. 

2008 Honda Odyssey. Sliding doors (manual) have both "jammed." didn't happen at the same time, but eventually both have become stuck. it felt like something wrong with the track. the mechanic down the road said that there is a ton of work involved in just getting to the problem to see what is needed; he also said it was a very common problem and to call the dealership. haven't done that yet, but does anyone have a rough guess what that will run? freakin' cars.

2008 Honda Odyssey. Sliding doors (manual) have both "jammed." didn't happen at the same time, but eventually both have become stuck. it felt like something wrong with the track. the mechanic down the road said that there is a ton of work involved in just getting to the problem to see what is needed; he also said it was a very common problem and to call the dealership. haven't done that yet, but does anyone have a rough guess what that will run? freakin' cars.

the rollers go out on those quite often.

a wild guess would be 350-450

I have an 06 Odyssey and one of the doors has been sticking. There are a ton of videos on YouTube for the fix. 

I opted for a much less invasive approach: Spray rollers and track with WD40. Seems to fix my situation. Repeat quarterly.

I looked it up before but forget what it will cost, but check out odyclub.com it's on there. It's a message board like this one. 

Best news I could've possibly expected. One of the transmission lines rusted out and was leaking. Got it replaced and she's back on the road. Not too bad considering I was fearing it would be a transmission failure or something. Got out of there for a little over 300.

Excellent news! Glad to hear.

I have an 06 Odyssey and one of the doors has been sticking. There are a ton of videos on YouTube for the fix. 

I opted for a much less invasive approach: Spray rollers and track with WD40. Seems to fix my situation. Repeat quarterly.

I looked it up before but forget what it will cost, but check out odyclub.com it's on there. It's a message board like this one. 

a ounce of prevention goes a long way, they need a better roller design

a ounce of prevention goes a long way, they need a better roller design

It's built on a pulley system, but I believe there is some kind of resistance sensor—in case your kid decides to stick a leg out or get out while the door is closing that it doesn't continue to crush him/her. 

Overtime, the lubrication just wears down or something else with the mechanism wears down and it sense more resistance than actually is present. 

In some ways, I don't like the "electronic" age in cars—too many more things that can break down. A well-designed, well manufactured mechanical system works just as well.

It's built on a pulley system, but I believe there is some kind of resistance sensor—in case your kid decides to stick a leg out or get out while the door is closing that it doesn't continue to crush him/her. 

Overtime, the lubrication just wears down or something else with the mechanism wears down and it sense more resistance than actually is present. 

In some ways, I don't like the "electronic" age in cars—too many more things that can break down. A well-designed, well manufactured mechanical system works just as well.

I'm rather familiar with them, and yes the electronic gizmo's are a pain when they act up

the rollers tend to wear out if not lubed and they just slide on the shaft until it gets so rough it sticks.

not a hard fix if you are handy