Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Ok experts...my son has a 2005 350Z with about 85k miles. He said his clutch pedal is sticking after he pushes it in & then it clunks out after a second. 

Any ideas on what it could be? Cost to repair?

sediment in, or overheated clutch fluid, ...flushing it would be the cheapest to try

http://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/556778-clutch-pedal-not-returning.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got this code on my 02 corolla. Worth fixing? 

P0446

not unless ya need it fixed for inspection, wouldn't pass here

add

putting on my service manager cap:

Do you love your country?

Do you care for your possessions and your neighbors?

Do you really need to ask if it is worth it?

Mechanics children are starving and you ask is it worth it?

For your country,family,Mother Earth and starving children pony up some dough......and don't forget to tip

Edited by twa

Yes. It's an EVAP code, the EVAP system controls the fuel vapors in the tank. If a mechanic tells you that it's the gas cap, find a different mechanic.

so ,smoke test or slap a vsv on it?

Yes. It's an EVAP code, the EVAP system controls the fuel vapors in the tank. If a mechanic tells you that it's the gas cap, find a different mechanic.

Seriously.  I found a lot of suggestions online to simply change the gas cap 

I'm not at work now but if I remember correctly we will typically replace the whole EVAP canister that comes with the VSV included.

One estimate i have is for $800!

I'm not at work now but if I remember correctly we will typically replace the whole EVAP canister that comes with the VSV included.

and then replace the cracked hose when the code stays on? ;)

Just farting with ya, 

and then replace the cracked hose when the code stays on? ;)

Just farting with ya,

EVAP codes can be a pain in the ass to be honest.

Smoke testing can sometimes be the only way to identify the problem, and that can be tedious because you need to operate the entire EVAP system... assuming the scan tool you are using allows such on the make of care you have in the bay.

I feel like there are a lot of technicians who simply don't understand how EVAP systems operate. This creates a lot of misconceptions in the repair of EVAP problems. A gas cap can only (usually) be the cause of an EVAP small or large leak code. A vent code is almost never caused by a gas cap.

I can't count how many times I've had a customer ask about an EVAP code and tell me that AutoZone or Merchants or the dealer or any other number of people told them to change the gas cap.

There is a sever lack of understanding of how emissions control systems work, especially how they work with each other in the automotive industry.

ever get them from high ethanol mixes?

EVAP codes? No.

In our area we have E15 (15% ethanol mix). That isn't enough to do any damage to any vehicles for any reason or another.

Ethanol is an excellent detergent though and I've heard of rural areas that had gas stations with old take and pumps having a lot of difficulty with the introduction of ethanol. Basically kicking up terrible debris into their equipment and sometimes the cars as well. Ethanol has been around long enough now that most of these problems have been addressed and resolved.

• 2 weeks later...

2010 Honda Odyssey with 65K miles on it is having some new trouble with the AC.  It'll blow cold at first, then after some amount of time it'll continue to blow, but the air will be ambient temperature.  Then after a few minutes it will usually switch back to blowing cold.  Rinse and repeat if the trip is long enough.

It doesn't seem to coincide with any kind of speed changes, fan settings, other electronic use, etc.  Any ideas?

Fitzo, it sounds like a sticking expansion valve, clogged drier or failing compressor. It's going to take someone with gauges and proper equipment to diagnose... and it will need to exhibit the symptoms while they are trying to check it out.

Fitzo, it sounds like a sticking expansion valve, clogged drier or failing compressor. It's going to take someone with gauges and proper equipment to diagnose... and it will need to exhibit the symptoms while they are trying to check it out.

Thanks man.  I've got an appointment with a place down the street.  My wife said it didn't work at all this morning, so hopefully it's not too hard for them to duplicate the problem.

How much is a competitve price to replace an AC compressor on a 2007 Pontiac G6?

And does Costco patch tires or just replace them?

It's going to be expensive. Take it somewhere that you can trust regardless of price. Cutting the price usually means using cheaper parts and on a job like that using cheap parts isn't always the way to go. Then there is a matter of replacing the drier and the orifice tube possibly... all depending on the nature of the compressor failure.

As for Costco, I think they just replace tires.

Thanks man. I've got an appointment with a place down the street. My wife said it didn't work at all this morning, so hopefully it's not too hard for them to duplicate the problem.

Cool. Let me know how it turns out.

Is there anyway I can turn off the maintenance light in my 2008 Toyota Sequoia myself?  It's programmed to light up every 6000 miles (think that's it) for an oil change.  Last year when I took it in for my 60K mile maintenance they forgot to reset the light.  

Took it in a couple of weeks ago for an oil change, same thing.  They forgot to reset the light.  If I can do it myself, I will.  I keep record of the mileage and take it in routinely, so I'm not worried about missing the next one.  It basically just annoys the **** out of me.

Is there anyway I can turn off the maintenance light in my 2008 Toyota Sequoia myself?  It's programmed to light up every 6000 miles (think that's it) for an oil change.  Last year when I took it in for my 60K mile maintenance they forgot to reset the light.  

Took it in a couple of weeks ago for an oil change, same thing.  They forgot to reset the light.  If I can do it myself, I will.  I keep record of the mileage and take it in routinely, so I'm not worried about missing the next one.  It basically just annoys the **** out of me.

This is what ALLDATA shows under 'maintenance light', and I can't get into Mitchell right now so I don't know what they recommend. Just remember that the light came on for a reason and don't turn it off just because it is 'annoying', check to see why it came on and take care if it first.....biggthumpup.gif

Oil Change Reset Procedure 

Turn the engine switch off with the trip meter A reading shown. 

While pressing the trip meter reset button, turn the engine switch on.

Without multi-information display 

Continue to press and hold the button until the trip meter displays 000000.

With multi-information display 

Continue to press and hold the button until "MAINT REQD RESET MODE COMPLETE" appears in the display.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?34670-2008-Toyota-sequoia-Maintenance-light-on

Got a couple issues could use some input on.

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee, when I turn the car off after driving it there is a lot of liquid noises coming from the engine area. Is this just oil falling back down? I have never heard anything like it before and have had and worked on a lot of my own cars. Could it be related to the cooling system? Air in the coolant?

Have a 2005 Honda Odyssey, slide door light has come on and the left sliding door will not work. If I reset it by popping the fuse it will work a few times. Anyone know what the actual cause of this is? Failed sensors? Havent been able to try cleaning them yet.

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee, when I turn the car off after driving it there is a lot of liquid noises coming from the engine area. Is this just oil falling back down? I have never heard anything like it before and have had and worked on a lot of my own cars. Could it be related to the cooling system? Air in the coolant?

Air in the coolant system.  It's gurgling.  You'll need to burp the system. 

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Burp-your-cars-cooling-system/

I have no experience with sliding doors.

Edited by DaGoonie55