Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

My neighbor bought a newer Jeep Grand Cherokee than I had when I owned one. He took it to the dealer for the 30,000 mile service. They wanted $2,100 for all the work. I LOL'ed. Literally. For a 30K service?

It was then I knew never to buy another Jeep. I still have that Rubicon/Wrangler checkbox to hit. Not sure I should ever do it. I know I will regret it.

Jeep Wranglers are fun little cars that beg to be modified. Very trendy to have a Wrangler right now. Top off, doors off.

They are still haunted by the lack of reliability and poor craftsmanship that is Chrysler.

Wrangler is the only Chrysler product that I'd ever consider owning.

• Like 1

I'm no mechanic but two weeks ago our front fan in our Expedition only worked on high speed. Also, the rear air had an annoying knock and I mean annoying. Did some research and fixed both issues on my own. The front issue was a blower resistor behind the glove compartment and the rear issue was a door blend actuator.

Parts totaled $70.00. Called local Ford dealer and they wanted $450.00 just for labor. The service rep said I was looking at "hours of labor." It took me a total of 1 1/2 hours. Very gratifying when accomplishing something you've never done before and save big money.

Edited by KingGibbs
  • Like 2

You could not pay me to own a newer large SUV.

My buddy has an 07 Escalade.

I've spent more time under that hood than he has on the road.

Absolute biggest pos I've ever worked on.

Fixed something, a fuse blows, replace the fuse, burned out the instrument cluster, rinse repeat.  Started fresh, traced it back to a WINDOW ACTUATOR causing issues with the whole electrical system.

no thanks, but I'll take your 500 to work on it.

I hear ya. It's not really that much of hassle for me, no more than when I bought a car brand new.

That's the convenience route and there's a price premium for convenience. GoSkins is probably at one extreme and maybe you're toward the other. The lessees are really the other end of the spectrum. So I'm somewhere in the middle.

With your approach, the thing I'd be concerned about is total cost. To hit your numbers, they have to stretch out payments over more years so you could be paying a lot in financing and not actual "truck".

I try to keep it at 5 years max. I can bend a little on the payment, but if hypothetically, I only want to pay $400 a month, I could go as high as $450. But you would be surprised at what they will do if you just start walking out the door.

I also try to pay them off a year early either by making a little higher payment per month or using tax returns to pay off the balance. Putting down money or a trade in, plus cash back incentives from the dealer help up front to cut down the total price.

Edited by pjfootballer

Last couple I've bought were at 0 to 1.9% interest.  Had 5 year loan and payments of about 700.  Still driving my last one a 2010 Honda Pilot.  It's still driving great.  So right now no payment. Just had the timing belt/waterpump/belt service.  Also new spark plugs and valves adjusted. 

Edited by HOF44

My 05 tundra really started rattling over bumps. I was thinking i might need new socks and /or struts. Rockauto.com seems like a great place for parts, but i decided to let my mechanic take a look and diagnose it before i bought anything. So i set up an appointment for today at 4.

Last night, something made me look up recalls on the truck. I have no idea what made me think to do that, I've never done it for any vehicle I've ever owned.

Turns out that there is an open recall for rust on the frame. Recall expires tomorrow. I was able to take it to dealership today so they will honor the recall.

Before taking it, my mechanic discovered that a leaf spring had rusted thru and snapped. Shocks and struts are fine.

The part from the dealer is 800.00....really hoping the recall covers it.

Edited by Major Harris

Id have to look it up at work but if I remember correctly, I think this only covers the frame. The broken leaf spring may or may not be related to frame rust though.

There is a shop about an hour from me that does nothing but leaf springs. He quoted me 200 to fix it. So that's not too bad just curious about price discrepancy.

There is a shop about an hour from me that does nothing but leaf springs. He quoted me 200 to fix it. So that's not too bad just curious about price discrepancy.

Dealer parts vs someone who specializes in it. They may make the springs in house and of course, if their only business is leaf springs then they better damn sure do it better than everyone else and for a fraction of the cost.

That's the problem with specialty businesses. They have to be a master of one trade and price everyone else out of the market in order to be successful.

Okay, something weird happened. My truck is low now. It was sitting high, but now it's low. I think it happened over night. I don't know what the heck happened. Tires aren't flat and I'm not skilled enough to check to see if the shocks and/or struts are bad.

do you have the air ride suspension?

My AC has been acting up, supposedly needs a update to the software in the BCM.....I hate newer cars

Okay, something weird happened. My truck is low now. It was sitting high, but now it's low. I think it happened over night. I don't know what the heck happened. Tires aren't flat and I'm not skilled enough to check to see if the shocks and/or struts are bad.

Check the leaf spring

• Like 1

04 Yukon

Nope, it's sitting low everywhere.

I'd say air suspension but the air bags are on the rear only. There isn't a reason that the whole vehicle would be sitting low all by itself unless it's one of the fancy ones with ride height control on all 4 wheels.

So my side mirror in my car is not working.  

This video explains how to fix it but the dealer wanted $1k to fix a side mirror!!!

Also, Spring i have had my car since 2009 but the front brakes are still 7mm and the back at 6mm.  is that too good to be true?

2k, most shops (including my own) wouldn't perform a repair like that. They have to warranty their work for a period of time, meaning that they can't fix something that may not last.

Not saying that it won't, but repair shops are held to a higher standard than someone working on their own stuff.

Re: brake life. All drivers are different. Some people will get considerably more life than others. I don't think your case would be abnormally high.

2k, most shops (including my own) wouldn't perform a repair like that. They have to warranty their work for a period of time, meaning that they can't fix something that may not last.

Not saying that it won't, but repair shops are held to a higher standard than someone working on their own stuff.

I'm trying to determine if i should fix it that way as the video shows.  Right now i put velcro under the mirror to keep it in place. 

I'm trying to determine if i should fix it that way as the video shows. Right now i put velcro under the mirror to keep it in place.

Seems like it might work until the clip loses tension again, which will probably happen faster now that it's already come off once (assuming that is the issue with yours). Who knows though, it may last just as long.

Be careful taking everything apart, especially the glass on the mirror. They are fragile. Watch out when pulling everything apart to make sure that the plastic stuff doesn't crack or break.

I was getting some slight uneven tire wear in just 1 of my tires (front passenger side), and I took it in for an estimate.

They said I need all 4 wheel bearings replaced, and the cost would be about $850.

I'm having a hard time accepting this as an honest diagnosis, because it seems like I would see more obvious signs that all 4 wheel bearings are bad, besides just minor uneven tire wear on just 1 tire. For example, I would expect hear sounds to indicate such a condition, or notice a difference in the performance of the car.

I could be wrong of course. Because I don't claim to be an expert. Which is why I want to ask you guys - the experts here.

Is it possible that a diagnosis/cause such as that, could create such minor symptoms like this ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

bad is relative, only thing to do is jack it up and check for slack or listen for noise.

they probably figure if one is bad it is about time for all to be replaced

unlikely to be the cause of wear unless it is very bad

• Like 1

It's very uncommon for all the wheel bearings to be bad. The only time, in my experience that we had such a situation was for noise. We replaced one, still making noise. Replaced another, still noisy. All the wheel bearings were making noise.

Usually you'll just replace the bad one though.

It's more likely that the alignment is out and maybe one of the bearings has play.

• Like 2