Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Nada. We just bought it from my aunt and uncle. They are good people and I don't believe they would've knowingly sold us a problem car. They also took it to Honda dealer to get it serviced before they sold it to us. I even have the report in hand and there is no mention of any mechanical issues and they took care of everything it recommended-including the timing belt.

yeah it is cheap, if you are unsure just replace it

easy enough if ya don't mind a little gas on ya

add

you can have them do a fuel pressure test if ya wish, fuel pump or relay could be acting up

filter is the first

Edited by twa

• 1 month later...

I'm replacing my fuel tank and I need help identifying the correct name for these parts so I don't have to keep guessing... They are all part of a kit, but I'm not trying to buy a whole kit for $200 when I only need like 2 or 3 parts.

They are for my 04 Yukon V8 4.7L

12476432_10207483135659205_1766340088_n.

I need this part^^^, but I need it to be straight and not bent.

12483399_10207483136059215_1055871056_n.

I know this^^^ a fuel line, but I need to know whats inside of here called.

12460101_10207483136179218_1665545748_n.

This^^^ is the piece I was talking about. It broke off.

12459559_10207483136499226_703223941_n.j

I also need to know what these are. I think they're seals, but if they aren't, I don't know what they are and the people at Auto Zone sure didn't help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I came here hoping somebody could help me out because nobody else knows what the heck they're talking about. Including myself. :(

I thought I would be able to find it in the Help section, but I didn't see it.

I don't know why my uncle wanted it straight, but I'll ask him. He probably told me already, but whatever...

Thanks man...

dumb question. my break pads are nearing their life.  I have driven 55K on these original pads.  Do i need to get my rotors changed too?  This place is charging out 300-400 to replace my rotors and pads for my lexus?? thoughts.  the dealer is asking near 600-700

dumb question. my break pads are nearing their life. I have driven 55K on these original pads. Do i need to get my rotors changed too? This place is charging out 300-400 to replace my rotors and pads for my lexus?? thoughts. the dealer is asking near 600-700

Can you afford it?

It may or may not be necessary, but changing the rotors along with the pads is always the best way.

Can you afford it?

It may or may not be necessary, but changing the rotors along with the pads is always the best way.

I usually do not replace rotors unless they are warped,grooved or worn...but I'm frugal

certainly agree all new is best though....a new car would be even better  ;)

Two things guys:

My windshield wipers get stuck for a moment in the "up" position when they're on anything other than the high setting. They will do a couple repitions, then stop at the top of the motion for about a second. I replaced the wipers with high quality ones, and it didn't help the problem much. The mechanic said it could be one of three issues, all ranging drastically in price, has anyone come across this particular issue and can pretty much diagnose it from what I've written?

Also, not a mechanical issue, but I have two large spots on the car with the paint chipped off. I mean there's almost a good square foot in one spot. How well does sanding the edges and using those $10 cans of car spray paint end up looking?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Two things guys:

My windshield wipers get stuck for a moment in the "up" position when they're on anything other than the high setting. They will do a couple repitions, then stop at the top of the motion for about a second. I replaced the wipers with high quality ones, and it didn't help the problem much. The mechanic said it could be one of three issues, all ranging drastically in price, has anyone come across this particular issue and can pretty much diagnose it from what I've written?

Also, not a mechanical issue, but I have two large spots on the car with the paint chipped off. I mean there's almost a good square foot in one spot. How well does sanding the edges and using those $10 cans of car spray paint end up looking?

wiper is probably bad contact with the circuit board in the motor,which can be taken off and cleaned,then lubed with electric grease

spray paint depends on the color,but generally stands out 

what vehicle helps w/advice

• Like 1

wiper is probably bad contact with the circuit board in the motor,which can be taken off and cleaned,then lubed with electric grease

spray paint depends on the color,but generally stands out

what vehicle helps w/advice

Thanks man. '98 Buick Century Custom (white).

Old person car, but it was so cheap for having 63,000 miles on it, and it runs really well. Already had the back windows' motors/regulators replaced. Counting that bill, the car has cost me a little over 3 grand.

I put some Rain X on the windshield, but we get frequent torrential downpours here and I'd like these wipers to work perfectly.

The paint can wait, I'm wondering what my options are. I'd like for it to look close to perfect, but not have to drop a grand for an entire paintjob.

White is one of the best for a spraycan/worth trying

on that one I think the circuit board can be reached pretty easy(4 screws on the outside of the motor to remove the plate)

some spraying w/ electrical contact cleaner and a tube of dialectic grease will probably fix it....ya can also flush the switch on column while turning back and forth (but that is probably not the problem if it starts then stops)

add

a new/rebuilt motor isn't that high and not hard to install

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

You da man TWA. You think I could fix the wiper motor by myself? Novice here, but good at figuring things out on the fly. Should I just take her in instead?

it is where you can get to it easy(if I remember right) and have basic tools you should be able to (10 min job for me)

the cover has torx screws, the whole motor comes off w/ three bolts and one nut on the arm

there are probably youtube videos to help

if ya try the cleaning route just remove the cover them gently wiggle the circuit board out...ya might eyeball the soldered contacts to see if any of them look bad

anyone have experience changing both upstream and downstream o2 sensors?  If so, is it much of a pain?  This would be for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra.

usually fairly simple unless they are stuck and need heated to loosen, ya will need to get under the car for the downstream

locate, unplug and screw out....some aftermarket replacement  ones you will need to splice wires

• Like 1

usually fairly simple unless they are stuck and need heated to loosen, ya will need to get under the car for the downstream

locate, unplug and screw out....some aftermarket replacement  ones you will need to splice wires

Thanks!

Is it normal for the upstream to be on the side of the engine by the dash rather than hatch?  Also, are there certain aftermarket brands you recommend?

Edited by steve09ru

Thanks!

Is it normal for the upstream to be on the side of the engine by the dash rather than hatch?  Also, are there certain aftermarket brands you recommend?

there is no normal anymore, no recommendation since I rarely do them....cheap with a good warranty usually works for easy to replace things that are not critical.....critical parts go quality

Hatch?....where you from?  ;)

Edited by twa

there is no normal anymore, no recommendation since I rarely do them....cheap with a good warranty usually works for easy to replace things that are not critical.....critical parts go quality

Hatch?....where you from?  ;)

ah gotcha - thanks!

sorry 'latch' haha