Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

I was at a red light today and my car shut off. It started back up when I turned the key to the off position and back to ignition. Drove another few miles with no problem. I did go down to E yesterday on my gas gauge, maybe that messed with the fuel pump? Filled it up yesterday though. I also am due for an oil change.

What I'm reading on the interwebs is that there are many possibilities of what it could be. Worst case scenarios would dock me a pretty penny. What will it cost to diagnose it? '98 Buick Century 65,000 miles on it.

You very likely had a bunch of crap in the bottom of your fuel tank, everyone does.  But when you run "down, right to it", you got a hiccup. 

With that many miles, use mid-grade gas...I don't care that people say gas makes no difference, but it does.  (my mechanic throws a little Lucas in with every oil change)

Start with the fuel filter, if you think you must.  But decent gas & a "boost" is a good start.   (I also make sure I use Max-Life oil, you're getting up there in mileage...I'm pushing 121K.)  We take good care of "Steve". :)

So no incidents of shutting down since that one last week, but this morning she scared me enough to almost pull in to a random parking lot. She had a few instances of "hiccuping" while accelerating, where she'd just stop accelerating and would glide for a fraction of a second, then stutter back to accelerating. Thought she wanted to shut off on me, but it happened about 3 times in the middle of the drive, the last 4 miles -while scary- were incident-free.

I'm getting an oil change tomorrow. I'll ask how much their diagnostics cost because the timing of this is horrible where I've saved up just enough to move in to a new place and this will kill my dreams and aspirations if it's something ****ed up in my car. The drive home just now was incident-free. Knock on wood though, gotta go back in half an hour.

Will ask for their best oil tomorrow.

They just called me. Drove the car 12 miles and didn't have any symptoms. Unbelievable. Says it seems to run smoothly. Recommended using premium gas and gas additives to see if it's gunk needing to work its way through, like yall eluded to earlier.

What additive should I pick up at the store ya think?

I like seafoam 

still think ya you change the fuel filter unless ya know it has been changed

add

premium gas is a waste unless ya are having knocks ect, where you are buying it matters though

Edited by twa

Lucas makes a really good one as well, I've often heard.

yes,but I don't think it treats moisture....frigging ethanol

add

HEET is pretty popular here

Edited by twa
  • Like 1

They just called me. Drove the car 12 miles and didn't have any symptoms. Unbelievable. Says it seems to run smoothly. Recommended using premium gas and gas additives to see if it's gunk needing to work its way through, like yall eluded to earlier.

What additive should I pick up at the store ya think?

While you're at the store, pick up an ignition module.

• Like 1

I like seafoam

still think ya you change the fuel filter unless ya know it has been changed

add

premium gas is a waste unless ya are having knocks ect, where you are buying it matters though

Thanks for all your help.

I don't know if the filter has been changed. Gotta check the carfax again. She at least got an oil change today.

spring, how would you recommend me getting my breaks checked? should i just tell them to check the measurement of the pads when i get my tired rotated?

That's an easy way. Or any time you bring it in for service, just ask them to check your brakes. If they aren't idiots (and potentially want to sell you brakes if they are worn out) then they'll do it for free.

If you don't trust them, ask them for measurements on the pads. Less than 2/32nds of an inch (or whatever that equates to in mm) won't pass a VA safety inspection so that's when I consider them unsafe. If they are close, it wouldn't hurt to do them at the same time. Of course, they could just lie to you about the measurements if they weren't on the up and up... which is just one of the many reasons why it's important to find a shop you trust.

so lexus quoted me for front and rear pads and rotors for $1800!!! are you kidding me

Not trying to sound like a dick but it's a Lexus bro.

I've been working the parts counter at a Chevy dealer for 8 years now. Anytime used cars needs pads and rotors for an foreign car I just call up Napa. What year and model dude?

Not trying to sound like a dick but it's a Lexus bro.

I've been working the parts counter at a Chevy dealer for 8 years now. Anytime used cars needs pads and rotors for an foreign car I just call up Napa. What year and model dude?

09 is250 

so lexus quoted me for front and rear pads and rotors for $1800!!! are you kidding me

So here's my rotor stories:

Volvo - 2000 C70 - In 2004, my wife took the car to Mooer's Volvo Richmond - 30k miles. We bought it in 2003 w/ 21k miles on it. Mechanic called & said "$950 to replace rotors & pads." I'm on the road for work, wife calls in a panic "What do I tell them?" "I'll call them." "Hey, so what's the story with the C70?" Mooer's, "Cars rotors are below the VA limit they need to be replaced...blah, blah, blah."

Me: "Really? With 30k miles? I have a 15yo BMW with 90k miles & have never replaced the rotors. Why do you think they've worn?" "No idea but they need to be replaced." Me: "Ok. So what's the measurement, per rotor?" Mooer's "Uh...let me get those and call you back." Me: "Nope. Don't do anything. I'm not paying for what you did & my wife is coming to pick the car up. Do you understand?" Mooer's: "Yeah, but ...blah..blah" Wife went & got the car that day. The NEXT morning, Mooer's calls me and says "Uh, the mechanic made a mistake & looked at the wrong numbers. The rotors ARE within spec." Me: "Oh yeah? Would you be making this call if I had paid for the rotor replacement? Don't answer that. **** you. Click"

Friends Lexus SUV - his girlfriend takes the SUV into "Lube & Screw". They want $2k to replace rotors & pads. She calls her boyfriend. Now, my buddy is mid 70s. He built cars with Mr. Petty (Richard's father). He worked for Richard Petty for many, many years & is a personal friend of Richard. He has forgotten more about cars than most people know. So he called "Lube & Screw" and told them not to touch the car, give it back to his GF. "Lube & Screw" forced his GF to sign a waiver "we aren't responsible...rotors are out of spec if you crash...blah...blah..." He checked the rotors himself - no problems. Changed the pads himself & told her to never take to that place again.

I hate thieves. Especially when they prey on woman. 

Moore's Volvo in Richmond - ****ing thieves. Assholes. 

• Like 1