Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

1 hour is going to drain a battery. I'd start by fixing your wife first, cause let's face it, by "we" you really mean "my wife".

Good grief. We're still working on not driving through closed garage doors and you want her to turn off lights??

I come home and closet lights, bathroom lights were left on from the morning. 

Good grief. We're still working on not driving through closed garage doors and you want her to turn off lights??

I come home and closet lights, bathroom lights were left on from the morning.

Al the more argument for a "smart home".

• Like 1

Dear Mechanic, 

This is more of a cosmetic question. 

I just bought a new Rav 4. My designated parking spot in my neighborhood is right under a pine tree. 

I was offered an exterior protecting sealant for about $500 but declined. 

What would you suggest? Im inclined to pay up to $500 if it is worth it, now that I thought about it. 

Thank you, 

Mr. Pink

a good polycoat  you can do yourself  once or twice a yr is as good and much cheaper

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is pretty good

ice water removes resin btw

but if you are rich or lazy ..... ;)

Dear Mechanic,

This is more of a cosmetic question.

I just bought a new Rav 4. My designated parking spot in my neighborhood is right under a pine tree.

I was offered an exterior protecting sealant for about $500 but declined.

What would you suggest? Im inclined to pay up to $500 if it is worth it, now that I thought about it.

Thank you,

Mr. Pink

I recommend a chainsaw.

ice water removes resin btw

but if you are rich or lazy ..... ;)

Are you serious? I've got the biggest pine trees in the neighborhood dumping sap on my moon roof...and ice water will get it off? What about on the paint? Do I need a peeler or my boatswain's knife?

Are you serious? I've got the biggest pine trees in the neighborhood dumping sap on my moon roof...and ice water will get it off? What about on the paint? Do I need a peeler or my boatswain's knife?

yes on the paint....icewater(lot of ice) and a terrycloth towel,the cold causes it to harden and contract and come loose

any minor residue left will come off with WD-40 or rubbing alcohol

• 2 months later...

How much would it be to replace a starter on a Nissan 350z 2006, how would I go about narrowing it to the problem being the starter?

cost varies widely depending the parts source and shop

you could take it off and have it tested, other than that ya need to make sure the battery connections are not corroded/dirty and that your battery isn't weak.

is it just clicking or turning slow or nothing?

How much would it be to replace a starter on a Nissan 350z 2006, how would I go about narrowing it to the problem being the starter?

Does it make any noise when you turn the key to start it?

Checking it properly, you check for power and ground at the starter when you turn the key. If it has power and ground to the starter then the starter is bad internally and you replace it. If not, you work your way back.

The exact symptom, "single click", "rapid clicking", "cranking but not starting", "no noise at all" goes a long way towards where you begin your diagnostic.

Nothing. I checked the battery connections,doesn't look corroded and I tried to get it jumped and no dice.

have you tried putting it in neutral?

is it a standard or auto?

no noise means security system or safety switch probably

if you try with headlights on do they dim out?

add

tried arming and unarming security/locks?

Edited by twa

Standard, I attempted to put it in neutral but nothing. Headlight are fine, not dimming out. Arming it fine. A couple days of go it was clicking but not turning over. I thought it was gas. I tried pressing the gas and moving it from neutral and it worked. It turned on no problems last night.m, but today no clicking.

Standard, I attempted to put it in neutral but nothing. Headlight are fine, not dimming out. Arming it fine. A couple days of go it was clicking but not turning over. I thought it was gas. I tried pressing the gas and moving it from neutral and it worked. It turned on no problems last night.m, but today no clicking.

So it makes no noise at all when you try and start it now?

clutch safety switch maybe,but the clicking earlier suggests bad connection

try pouring a coke om the battery and get back to me  ;)

or if that don.t work if ya can get to the starter tap it with a hammer a few times