Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Ask a Mechanic" Thread

Springfield

Installed a new engine from Jasper in my 2008 Dodge Durango. Has 100K mile warranty. Vehicle had only 65K on it. Wasn't sure if value for sales is better or worse. Not sure if I want to keep it...

On a Dodge Durango, it started making an "exhaust-type" sound near the engine. Basically, part of the engine sounds like a loud muffler now. It's coming from the passenger side of the engine, in the front closest to the actual passenger seat.

When I look through the wheel well, it's more pronounced in that area of engine, seeming to coming from very near where the oil filter is.

So does it have some kind of leak in the exhaust manifold, or a bad gasket there ?

Dodge durango engines suck by every account I investigated. If they overheat, they're ****zo

• Like 1

Exhaust manifold or exhaust manifold gasket I'd presume.

Thank you, sir....Just one more question, if I may...

What level of urgency, would you classify this as ?

Would you consider it as "extremely urgent", as in, get it to the shop asap on monday, and avoid driving in the meantime, as further driving would result in a high risk of doing further and more severe damage ?

Or less urgent than that ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2016 at 0:57 PM, Springfield said:

Exhaust manifold or exhaust manifold gasket I'd presume.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:30 PM, twa said:

not urgent other than noise and exhaust fumes

I asked a guy who had some good car knowledge, to take a quick look and listen. He followed the sound, and got underneath the car, and said this "exhaust-type" sound looked like it was coming from the crankcase....but that's as specific as he could get.

Would this change or refine your opinion on this ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My drivers side door window and passenger window were shattered by a vandal going up a street shooting everyone's windows with a pellet gun.  Storms are headed in and I need a temporary seal.  Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

Read on one site that taping the entire area of the window with clear packaging tape, with quarter inch overlaps is the way to go...

3 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

My drivers side door window and passenger window were shattered by a vandal going up a street shooting everyone's windows with a pellet gun.  Storms are headed in and I need a temporary seal.  Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

Read on one site that taping the entire area of the window with clear packaging tape, with quarter inch overlaps is the way to go...

Get a trash bag and go to town.  It'll work temporarily.

• 2 months later...

I've been told by a shop that my Tie Rods need replacement. And this would be the 2nd time in only 2 years that they've failed.

I did a web search regarding normal wear of these parts, and seeing articles that state they usually last for "years and years", and sometimes even for the life of the car.

Is that accurate ? Or not unusual to have to replace them this frequently.

Just wondering if it's likely that the last shop that repaired it used poor quality parts, or if it's likely a result of the road quality in the town I live in, or if Dodge cars/trucks are notorious for this ? Or just not considered terribly unusual ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I've been told by a shop that my Tie Rods need replacement. And this would be the 2nd time in only 2 years that they've failed.

I did a web search regarding normal wear of these parts, and seeing articles that state they usually last for "years and years", and sometimes even for the life of the car.

Is that accurate ? Or not unusual to have to replace them this frequently.

Just wondering if it's likely that the last shop that repaired it used poor quality parts, or if it's likely a result of the road quality in the town I live in, or if Dodge cars/trucks are notorious for this ? Or just not considered terribly unusual ?

Tie rods, much like any other suspension component, can wear or break prematurely depending on how th car is driven.  Not that you're abusing it, but impacts and other circumstances can cause them to develop play. They are moving components, so they have to be able to move.

Now is it possible that the shop used crappy parts and they wore out before their time?  Sure.

You also mentioned Dodge.  I'd bet that they have a slightly higher incidence of tie rod failure but that's just my own experience talking and I don't have concrete numbers to back it up.  Many parts on Dodge vehicles have a higher rate of failure than other automakers.

Are you sure they're the same tie rods?  There are inner and outer tie rods on both left and right side.  Is it possible that a different tie rod has failed?

41 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Are you sure they're the same tie rods?  There are inner and outer tie rods on both left and right side.  Is it possible that a different tie rod has failed?

Looking at the 1st bill, it was for "both inner tie rods", for a total quantity of 4 tie rods.

I didn't get a written breakdown of the recent estimate, but if the old repair was for 4 of them, and there's a total of 4 tie rods on the car, I would imagine that the new estimate includes at least partially duplicate parts, if not, all the same ones.

I will have to check with the shop tomorrow that did the estimate, to see which ones they are, to be sure.

Thank you for the clarification.

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Looking at the 1st bill, it was for "both inner tie rods", for a total quantity of 4 tie rods.

I didn't get a written breakdown of the recent estimate, but if the old repair was for 4 of them, and there's a total of 4 tie rods on the car, I would imagine that the new estimate includes at least partially duplicate parts, if not, all the same ones.

I will have to check with the shop tomorrow that did the estimate, to see which ones they are, to be sure.

Thank you for the clarification.

I will say that it's HIGHLY unusual for all 4 tie rods to need to be replaced at the same time.  Not impossible, I don't think I've ever seen it in 18 years though.

51 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I will say that it's HIGHLY unusual for all 4 tie rods to need to be replaced at the same time.  Not impossible, I don't think I've ever seen it in 18 years though.

Wow, so if it's highly unusual to need all 4 replaced at the same time, that must mean it's even much stranger for that to happen twice.

I guess the question I need to determine, if I can, is whether the problem lies with the ones who did the first repair, or the accuracy of the ones who made the estimate for the 2nd repair.

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wow, so if it's highly unusual to need all 4 replaced at the same time, that must mean it's even much stranger for that to happen twice.

I guess the question I need to determine, if I can, is whether the problem lies with the ones who did the first repair, or the accuracy of the ones who made the estimate for the 2nd repair.

You could ask them to show you the play in the suspension before they make the repairs.  They should be able to shift the wheel left and right and show you how that looseness is in the tie rods.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

You could ask them to show you the play in the suspension before they make the repairs.  They should be able to shift the wheel left and right and show you how that looseness is in the tie rods.

Thanks again. I know I have some issue with the front end, because I'm getting really bad, uneven tire wear. I asked them to find the source of that. So their diagnosis wasn't something they brought up, on their own. I guess it's a question of how many parts actually need to be replaced.

And I was just looking at the 1st bill for the tie rods. The parts themselves are incredibly cheap - only about $30 for each tie rod. It's the labor that got me - over $500 in labor for the tie rods, idler arm, and ball joints. Yet according to this video, the guy says tie rods are a quick, easy fix - only about 10 minutes long, and requires practically no tools.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Well of course it's a piece of cake and requires barely any tools.  They didn't mention that the vehicle needs to be aligned after that either.

To me, that video seems amateur.  It gets the point across, but I'd be less concerned about a torn boot and more concerned about play in the tie rods.

• Like 1

So an ice storm came through and the little spot of chipped paint on my hood became almost the entire hood stripped of paint.  Slabs of my car's paint were tumbling down the parking lot.

Turns out, this coat of paint was done over top of another coat of different-colored paint.  So I'm thinking about stripping the entire car of this top coat that's already pealing off, but it's proving to be a very slow task.  Any tips on how to loosen this top coat up a little bit?

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

5 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

So an ice storm came through and the little spot of chipped paint on my hood became almost the entire hood stripped of paint.  Slabs of my car's paint were tumbling down the parking lot.

Turns out, this coat of paint was done over top of another coat of different-colored paint.  So I'm thinking about stripping the entire car of this top coat that's already pealing off, but it's proving to be a very slow task.  Any tips on how to loosen this top coat up a little bit?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-1-500-Watt-Dual-Temperature-Heat-Gun-Kit-2020/206940714?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-PowerTools|&gclid=CP_S_MnZqdECFUo9gQodS5YNnw&gclsrc=aw.ds