Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is gay marriage becoming accepting,but polygamy is just disgusting?

michael_33

For one, Gay marriage is being force fed down our throats by the media and others who want it to be on the same level as black rights, when it isn't.

Moral decay is like rust. it doesn't just lay stagnant, as long as it's kept fed, it grows and grows.

I'm having trouble understanding how "Gay marriage is being force fed down our throats by the media." Why? Because they cover the issues surrounding it? When a state allows gay marriages I think that's a pretty big story that would naturally be covered by news organizations.

The only objection I've seen to gay marriage is biblically-based, that is, God is against it, end of story, no debate allowed. Now, I generally respect peoples' beliefs and opinions if they are honest, reasonable, and respectful of the beliefs of others. When people make statements that homosexuality contributes to moral decay they do not satisfy any of those three criteria. One could say it is deviant, I suppose, in that it is not the practiced norm (but as the good Rev. Jeremiah Wright says, "different is not deficient":) ), but that is not the same thing as being actively harmful to society.

As has been asked on this site probably hundreds of times (and I won't go into much detail now), what was so moral about the time when a slave was considered 3/5ths of a person, or when blacks and women did not have the right to vote, or when twelve-year old children worked twelve hour days in coal mines six days a week? At what point in human history was there some sort of sublime state of morality? In the Garden before the ****ing apple?

No one is forcing homosexual marriage on anyone. No one is even forcing them to condone it. All they're saying is stop worrying so much about who loves who, and how they express that love, and get your own house in order.

As a postscript, I am glad to see people taking the tough position and confessing their animosity towards child abuse. It takes a lot of guts. "I have no problem with gay marriage or polygamy, but I am against child abuse." Yeah, no ****.

By the way, I've been invited to a gay wedding ceremony in less than three weeks. Very close friends of ours, my wife has known them since college. They have been together since junior year of high school - over 25 years. It's nice that they can finally make it official after all this time. :cheers:

Probably will divorce within two yrs then ;)

If God didn't want gays to marry, he shouldn't have made 'em gay. :2cents:

The whole "traditional" argument strikes me as a load of crap. Until very recently, marriages were traditionally between people of the same race, and you had miscegenation laws on the books. Until very recently, marriages were an MSF fantasy-land of male domination and woman subservience (a married woman could not even legally enter into a contract). Marriage as an institution has been continually evolving since long before this nation. Two consenting adults? I say go for it. I think, as someone else said, the big problem with polygamy is that it goes against our notions of love for a spouse. Sex with another person is grounds for divorce, not part of a healthy marriage. Even IF polygamy was legal, how many love-based, consenting (i.e., non-"cult") polygamous marriages would there be? I'm thinking very few.

Now we travel down the path of proof. There absolutely no proof that gays are born gay. Opinion of some in the science field, but no proof. Therefore, to assume that gays do not choose is irresponsible.

To refute your arguement, God didn't make gay people, it just like with everything else, people gave into their own lusts and went their own way and did their own thing. God didn't create murderers, rapists or others who participate in morally lacking things.

The only objection I've seen to gay marriage is biblically-based, that is, God is against it, end of story, no debate allowed. Now, I generally respect peoples' beliefs and opinions if they are honest, reasonable, and respectful of the beliefs of others. When people make statements that homosexuality contributes to moral decay they do not satisfy any of those three criteria. One could say it is deviant, I suppose, in that it is not the practiced norm (but as the good Rev. Jeremiah Wright says, "different is not deficient":) ), but that is not the same thing as being actively harmful to society.

As has been asked on this site probably hundreds of times (and I won't go into much detail now), what was so moral about the time when a slave was considered 3/5ths of a person, or when blacks and women did not have the right to vote, or when twelve-year old children worked twelve hour days in coal mines six days a week? At what point in human history was there some sort of sublime state of morality? In the Garden before the ****ing apple?

Again you are lumping gays in with slavery. Being black wasn't a devient or immoral behavior but how you were born. Women voting wasn't an immoral behavior either. Therefore letting blacks be citizens and women voting doesn't lower any kind of standard.

Let me see if I can explain clearly. years ago, talking about sex in schools was really taboo. People fought to let it happen and now it's nothing. Sex used to be sacred and something cherished, and now with people wanting to allow more sex in media and other places, sex isn't special or sacred but just somthing you do to pass the time on the weekend.

My point is, that we allowed these things which were held in regard and now they aren't and it has led to a society in which not much is taboo anymore.

At what point do we say "enough"? Do we just allow anything at all since some think it is ok?? Hide behind the excuse that, well, it's two adults doing what they want and not hurting anyone?

No one is forcing homosexual marriage on anyone. No one is even forcing them to condone it. All they're saying is stop worrying so much about who loves who, and how they express that love, and get your own house in order.

Well acually yes they are! When they want rights that they aren't entitled to, and have judges who would userp the peoples voices, that IMO is forcing those of us who think it's wrong to accept it.

1212425102095486200.gif

1212425123009685800.gif

1212425168072500800.gif

The sad part about this cartoon is that many have said that states should choose and the gov should stay out of this whole gay marriage thing. Yet when california has chosen TWICE our gov has squashed it! So much for our votes counting!

Again you are lumping gays in with slavery.

As opposed to lumping them in with murderers and rapists?

God didn't make gay people, it just like with everything else, people gave into their own lusts and went their own way and did their own thing. God didn't create murderers, rapists or others who participate in morally lacking things.

Again you are lumping gays in with slavery. Being black wasn't a devient or immoral behavior but how you were born. Women voting wasn't an immoral behavior either. Therefore letting blacks be citizens and women voting doesn't lower any kind of standard.

sex isn't special or sacred but just somthing you do to pass the time on the weekend.

Hide behind the excuse that, well, it's two adults doing what they want and not hurting anyone?

So if they prove you are born gay: Thats it, fight over for you... its now = black and women... Good to know.

What are you being forced to accept??? That a penis is placed in someone elses behind.. YET, a man is able to do this to a women without punishment.

Two consenting adults.

And as you put sex: Women or men that are barren should be banned from sex also. No real point. Tubes get tied: your done. Car accident: done.

If you hit 50 you should be divorced on the spot or at least put into seperate twin beds..

right? :D

Now we travel down the path of proof. There absolutely no proof that gays are born gay. Opinion of some in the science field, but no proof. Therefore, to assume that gays do not choose is irresponsible.

Wait... what?

I agree that we don't have proof of what causes homosexuality in a scientific sense (yet). There are theories, but not iron clad proof in a medical sense.

Fine.

I also know a lot of gay people, and all of them tell me they did not "choose" anything, they just "are" what they are. Their stories are remarkably consistent.

How is it "irresponsible" to take them at their word? What seems irresponsible to me is your assumption - BASED ON NOTHING - that they are just filthy animals who gave in to perverted lusts because they wanted to.

At least I have some evidence to back up my view.

The sad part about this cartoon is that many have said that states should choose and the gov should stay out of this whole gay marriage thing. Yet when california has chosen TWICE our gov has squashed it! So much for our votes counting!

The sad part about many, many California voters is that they have no idea how our government and laws work. They don't know the difference between a basic voter initiative and a constitutional amendment. They don't understand that the Constitution necessarily trumps initiatives and other statutes, and that this is how a judge is compelled to view the law.

If the anti-gay marriage people had amended the Consitution in back in 2000 rather than just go the easy route and pass an inititative, then the California Supreme Court would not have ruled the way it did.

That is a worthless argument. There's absolutely no proof that gays aren't born gay. Opinion of some, but no proof. Therefore, to assume gays DO choose is irresponsible.

To refute your arguement, God didn't make gay people, it just like with everything else, people gave into their own lusts and went their own way and did their own thing. God didn't create murderers, rapists or others who participate in morally lacking things.

I don't mean this to sound condescending (tone very difficult over the internets) but have you ever been friends with a gay person? I don't mean there's that flamboyant guy at work who you talk to at lunch sometimes. I mean someone you socialize with regularly who is gay, or someone who you socialized with regularly before they came out of the closet?

Most of the ones I have met tried to choose to be straight, but it just was not who they are. A buddy of mine in college didn't figure it out until he was in his mid-20s, largely because he was raised in a bible-belt area of Georgia, and came in to college believing that homosexuality was immoral and a one-way ticket to hell. It took him a long time to get passed that. Another one I knew would go with us to one of the better strip clubs in Atlanta. But after a naked beautiful woman was done giving him a dance he'd sorta shrug as if to say "nope...nothing."

The point is, if you actually take the time to talk to gay people, you'll find that the vast majority are good, honest, hardworking people. They are who they are and their sexuality isn't their defining character trait. They're people just like you and me who, believe it or not, have the capability to love truly and deeply.

Actually, I was going to point out that Ahnold stated, before he was elected, that he supported gay marriage.

When the legislature passed a law, legalizing gay marriage, he publicly announced his pride in being allowed to sign it.

(Then his handlers took him off stage, behind the curtains, for a day, and then he came back out and announced his intention to veto.)

But that doesn't count as the will of the people, I guess. :)

Oh the irony :doh:

It is a staple of Tailgate.

And of politics. (Although lately, I'd say "Mock Outrage" has been out-selling irony by over 4 to 1.) And pretty much everything else in Life.

(A character in one of Spider Robinson's books used to be fond of saying "God is an iron". (A second character once responded "And you're a pair of pants with a hole burnt in the ass?") He'd then explain that if a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.)

Uh huh. And what was the opinion on Black people and the standard 200 years ago?

I don't see the connection between two dudes getting hitched and a guy marrying a bunch of his 14 year old cousins.

Me either, especially when the 14 year old girl doesn't have a say in the matter or is even able to make a informed desicion at that age. Not a good comparison at all. The difference is one is between 2 consenting adults and the other is child abuse.

The ones saying not to compare 2 dudes with a guy and his 14 year old cousins.

I dont think either should be legal, but I do find it odd that there are people saying one group deserves to "marry whomever they choose" while denying that "right" to another group.

The reason is simple... the louder people yell about morality crimes, the less people care. People complain about the merits of gay marriage all the time, hence, less people care. Polygamy comes up once in a blue moon, when a guy with 80 wives under the age 18 gets busted. Much easier to see that as hideous when it happens less often.

Plus, I dont know of a lot of polygamists out there really fighting for their rights, and espousing good arguments to be able to mary a million chicks, compared to the number of people and the well-thoughtout arguments made by gay people for their right to marriage.

:2cents:

The ones saying not to compare 2 dudes with a guy and his 14 year old cousins.

I dont think either should be legal, but I do find it odd that there are people saying one group deserves to "marry whomever they choose" while denying that "right" to another group.

I'm still not following you.

Are you saying that the right to forcibly marry your 14 year old cousin is equivalent to the right to marry a consenting adult of the same sex?

Or are you baiting someone else in this thread rather than me? :)

What you just said makes no sense what so ever! So if we are to be against gay marriage, than we must first solve the other moral problems in the world?? How does that make any sense.

Would you care to clarify your statement, before I consider you ignorant?

Thank you for giving me a chance to clear up your misunderstanding of what I was saying. Be against Gay marriage all you want. Honestly, I could care less if it's legal. (I have this argument with my friends all the time)

Point is, I hear/see a lot of people who say they are christian and condem gay people, regardless of the marriage issue. But in their own home, or church are issues that seem to be igorned. Such as the issues I brought up. I belive the "regligous right" should work as hard or be as outspoken on issues such as child abuse, teen pregnancy, domestic violence, adultery and such, rather than focus on 2 consenting people who love each other.

In the new testament, the bible says pretty clear that if a man even so much as looks at another woman and he is married, he should gouge his eyes out. So why don't more christians take a stand on adulterers? What makes one sin "better or worse" than another? IMHO, people seem to pick and choose what "sins" they want to condem. If you really take the bible word for word, there's a heck of a lot more than homosexuality that is condemed. So I say, be fair.

BTW, I consider myself a conservative. (I actualluy voted for Bush) Look up a group called Log Cabin Republicans.

http://online.logcabin.org/

I'm still not following you.

Are you saying that the right to forcibly marry your 14 year old cousin is equivalent to the right to marry a consenting adult of the same sex?

Or are you baiting someone else in this thread rather than me? :)

Im saying that polygamy does not equate to forcing 14 year old cousins to marry any more than gay marriage means an adult forcing a 14 year old of the same sex to marry.

iF 2 men have some mythical right to "marry whomever they choose", then I would think 1 man a 2 woman have that same right.

I dont think either do, Im just curious how people can make that argument.

Archived