Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is gay marriage becoming accepting,but polygamy is just disgusting?

michael_33

Can you answer that for me...?

You have california trying(or maybe even passing the laws) of gay marriage and the rights for men or women to be together as one regardless of sex...And probably many otehr States as well trying to get these bills passed....

Then you have these Polygamists getting just crushed by the media with these stories of the kids missing and just alot of major air time....I'm also sure that many people are just disgusted by the way they make these daughters marry older men and all of their laws or rules at their compounds...

(both disgust me by the way)

But wouldn't you consider these to be double standards towards the rights of the polygamists,yet gay marriage is becoming common place,so it's ok?

Honestly...Polygamists may be gross and definately uncommon and definately not acceptable to me and their way of life as well....But what makes a gay marriage OK?Ellen degenerous is gay,so it must be allright then... :doh:

It kinda pisses me off a little...(I hate double standards)

I don't see the connection between two dudes getting hitched and a guy marrying a bunch of his 14 year old cousins.

Well polygamy is not just a man married to 14 year old cousins.

His question is why is 2 dudes marrying ok by some but a man marrying more than one woman illegal.

If 2 women are consenting, and they both want to marry one man, and it is natural for males and females to be together....how is that consentual relationship illegal compared to same sex marriages that people want to legalize?

If you think gays should marry because it's consenting adults. Then a man should be allowed to marry 10 women if they are consenting...right??

It's funny...I lean conservative on just about every social issue. Yet I am fine with gay marriage. I think it's ridiculous that people fight against it. What's the harm in gays getting married?

I have the same opinion on polygamy. It's so strange that people are upset ONLY if marriage is brought into it. I could go around and knock up a dozen women, but at long as I'm not married to them it's perfectly acceptable.

Look at Hugh Hefner. He is basically a polygamist, and the media LOVES him! He's a hero to every red blooded american male. Except he doesn't marry any of plural partners. If he married them, then all of a sudden it's evil and unnatural.

Now those polygamist sects out west seem crazy, I'll agree. If they are marrying 14 year olds or their sisters or whatever, then fine, lock them up. But the idea of polygamy itself I have no problem with. Just like homosexuality--I don't practice it, and I would never practice it...but there's no reason why it should be illegal.

I have yet to hear an even halfway convincing argument against either.

As has already been said - most people don't seem to have a problem with polygamy if it was between consenting adults. Problem is, in most cases, it involves not only young girls, but lack of consent on their part as well.

I think one of the main reasons it is still illegal even among consenting adults is a tax issue, though I don't think I have the proper knowledge to fully explain why.

I think one of the main reasons it is still illegal even among consenting adults is a tax issue, though I don't think I have the proper knowledge to fully explain why.

My understanding is that the polygamist communities are almost entirely supported on welfare. The polygamist husband is legally married to only one woman and all the others are single mothers who receive state benefits.

It's an interesting question. As others have said, I think it hinges on the perception of abuse or people taking advantage of others, esp. children. Very few are pro-sexual abuse or child abuse. Most are for individual rights.

It's an interesting question. As others have said, I think it hinges on the perception of abuse or people taking advantage of others, esp. children. Very few are pro-sexual abuse or child abuse. Most are for individual rights.

Yes there is that perception,but there are laws specifically to prevent that and just as applicable to same sex marriage.

It would seem it is a individual right that is being squashed while others are celebrated...if you believe in equality under the law.

As has already been said - most people don't seem to have a problem with polygamy if it was between consenting adults. Problem is, in most cases, it involves not only young girls, but lack of consent on their part as well.

It probably doesn't help that whenever one of these rings of child abuse are uncovered, they make it out as if its the polygamy that is wrong. "Polygamist ______ was recently discovered to..." :rolleyes:

i don't think polygamy is disgusting. :whoknows: selfish but not disgusting.

Definitely agree. There's a huge difference between consenting adult polygamy and forced child polygamy. As usual, the media perception lumps it all together. It some dumbass wants two or three wives, as if one is enough of a challenge, and they all want to be his wife, I could care less. Same if some girl only gets her rocks off getting boned by two at once, fine, let her have two husbands.

Perhaps part of it is also that the image people get is of one man who's married to 25 of his 13-year-old cousins, and it's never one woman and multiple men.

So there's an image of male-supremacy-bigotry involved, too.

(I have to admit, too, the polygamy does something to me, too. One way I rationalize my dislike is by reasoning that if you think divorce is an ugly fight and bad for children when there's one father and one mother involved, they I shudder to think of the child custody battles you could have when there's 7 men and 11 women involved. IMO, child custody is complicated enough when there's only two people involved.)

(And one expression I use is "When 7 guys want to marry 11 women, then they're not discussing marriage, they're forming a corporation.")

Larry is exactly right. On the surface of the issue, I don't have a problem with it as long as all concerned are consenting adults. However, once kids get involved it's a family law nightmare. That's the only reason it shouldn't be allowed IMHO, yet it's by far the most compelling one.

Divorce between two parents is bad enough. Imagine Drew Barrymore trying to figure out her 4 Dad's and 9 Mom's irreconcilable differences.

What happened to Equal under the Law bro? :rolleyes:

The family argument is not much different than multiple marriages or even custody issues for same sex couples that use invetro.

The family argument is not much different than multiple marriages or even custody issues for same sex couples that use invetro.

I agree, difficulty in legal matters that potentially result is far, FAR from a legitimate reason to prevent consenting adults from doing what they please.

Oh, I'll freely admit that my "child custody" scenario, IMO, is nowhere near enough of a reason for society to intervene to limit individual rights.

The logical part of me says that it's just an excuse that the emotional part of me has seized on, to try to justify what's really just a case of "I don't like it."

(We Vulcans try to suppress our emotions, but we do have them. We just won't admit it.)

To quote The Boondocks...

"I believe that ALL marriage is wrong"

Seriously, this is an old argument. My dad, who I think still resents the fact that I'm a democrat, used to say "If 2 gays can get married, whats to stop someone from marrying their dog?"

I agree with others who say that if everyone consents, I don't see a problem with it. Therefore both should be legal, as long as all parties are of legal age and can consent to the marriage. Before you get married, gay, straight, or polygamist, you need to be aware of what you're getting into.

By the same token, I have to ask those politicians and such who say gay marriage and polygamy should be illegal because they damage the "insitition" of marriage:

Why is it ok for someone with a ongoing history of domestic violence, sexual abuse, child abuse, etc to get married or remain married?***

***I may be wrong on the law here, as I'm no domestic violence expert, but I'm certainly unaware of any such law. So if I am dead wrong please correct me.

Archived