Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is gay marriage becoming accepting,but polygamy is just disgusting?

michael_33

Very few are pro-sexual abuse or child abuse.

Except, of course, the ACLU.

I imagine that a man married to more than one woman would result in an increase of murder-suicides.

I don't have any moral objection to consensual polygamy. I suppose the objection to it is partly religious and partly questions about tax and insurance benefits.

Are you serious? Is it really so hard to see the difference between TWO consenting adults regardless of their gender and MORE THAN TWO consenting adults?

What is the difference in your eyes?

All I see is a number.

I am of the severely restricted (traditional)marriage crowd myself,but since that makes me a bigot ,I guess you joined me ;)

It's funny...I lean conservative on just about every social issue. Yet I am fine with gay marriage. I think it's ridiculous that people fight against it. What's the harm in gays getting married?

I have the same opinion on polygamy. It's so strange that people are upset ONLY if marriage is brought into it.

Marriage is viewed and legally existed in this nation as a union between a man and a woman ( long before this nation too). Its simple really. Its marriage. It was designed by God, for A man and A woman. Society shouldnt start screwing with something designed by our creator :2cents:

Marriage is viewed and legally existed in this nation as a union between a man and a woman ( long before this nation too). Its simple really. Its marriage. It was designed by God, for A man and A woman. Society shouldnt start screwing with something designed by our creator :2cents:

Considering that most of the things influenced by gay marriage are all man made, just like the rules imposed by the gov't about GM, I don't think God will be losing any sleep because gays are married.

My objection to polygamy between consenting adults is, like someone said earlier, when it comes to legal benefits given to married couples (insurance, taxes etc). If Joe the polygamist wants to have a legal marriage to Judy and some kind of spiritual/religious marriage to 3 other women why should I care. He is only getting the legal benefits of the one marriage.

And the Texas case is a bad example to bring up because that deals with minors. I'm referring to polygamy between consenting adults.

god had nothing to do with American law. Religions may choose not to recognize them, but it should have absolutely no influence on American law.

Do you take any man made medicines?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now you see things from the anti-gay marriage side....bigot! :silly:

Personally I don't give two sh*ts who someone else wants to marry nor how many they would want to be included in the marriage. I think constitutionally its outside the parameters of government to decide, but thats just my interpretation. I just don't get it when people say 'if we let gay people marry than we have to let every other type of marriage legal'....to me if you want to settle that dispute then just make marriage between 'two consenting adults' period. But again, ideally I dont think government should dictate the tradition regardless. :2cents:

:bsflag::bsflag::bsflag:

The "traditional family" is BS

I have no problem w/ polygamy if it's CONSENTING ADULTS.

Can you answer that for me...?

I'd rather see Ellen and her hot chick walking down the road than women that look like they stepped off the Little House and the Prairie set that praise a child raping cult leader.

Gay marriage doesn't bother me...as long as it doesn't affect my life with my wife and kids than I am all for people being happy. Life is too short for me to get stressed about other people. I have myown life to worry about.

There really isn't a connection, but I get your point of the thread. For one, Gay marriage is being force fed down our throats by the media and others who want it to be on the same level as black rights, when it isn't. The other doesn't have the steady propaganda as the other does. So it's still in the taboo stage.

Polygamy is sort of quiet and undercover, it isn't out in the open like gay marriage. trust me, give it time. If polygamy gets as much attention as gays, it will too be accepted.

Moral decay is like rust. it doesn't just lay stagnant, as long as it's kept fed, it grows and grows.

1.) Its sexist because you never hear polygamy reference a female with multiple male husbands.

2.) I would say because polygamy is generally associated with churches that allow underage marriages in a small gene pool of people where they don't have a choice (even if they did, they're brainwashed to think its okay).

If it were consenting adults outside of some polygamist compound, I could just as easily accept that.

However, the bigger issue here is money. Taxes and also benefits. Polygamy could easily be exploited just for financial benefits.

I think the big thing with marraige is not about consenting individuals but it is that you pledge yourself to one another. I think it is a sacred bond between individuals that may get devalued by 1 person marrying 14 different women. Thats not marraige thats lust.

1.) Its sexist because you never hear polygamy reference a female with multiple male husbands.

2.) I would say because polygamy is generally associated with churches that allow underage marriages in a small gene pool of people where they don't have a choice (even if they did, they're brainwashed to think its okay).

If it were consenting adults outside of some polygamist compound, I could just as easily accept that.

However, the bigger issue here is money. Taxes and also benefits. Polygamy could easily be exploited just for financial benefits.

polygamy is a general term that can mean either male or female with multiple spouses. its when you get into polyandry and polygny where it matters which is which.

This is a pretty bogus and misleading thread in my opinion. Until you show me some cases of reasonable polygamists being hunted down by the government, I cry foul to the premise of this thread.

Personally, I have no problem with multiple people living together. In fact I have no problem with multiple marriages, and I think most liberals would agree with that. The polygamists who are demonized are deservedly demonized. There are too many cases of 12 year olds being married off in these things for us to accept it as a society. This is not the same thing as a marriage between consenting adults, and it should not be treated as such.

Once again, the key word is consenting adults. If it passes that test, I'm fine with it. But please don't compare all that texas crap in the news right now to gay marriage. It ain't the same and you know it.

Well polygamy is not just a man married to 14 year old cousins.

His question is why is 2 dudes marrying ok by some but a man marrying more than one woman illegal.

If 2 women are consenting, and they both want to marry one man, and it is natural for males and females to be together....how is that consentual relationship illegal compared to same sex marriages that people want to legalize?

If you think gays should marry because it's consenting adults. Then a man should be allowed to marry 10 women if they are consenting...right??

Rough connection. It has been said that many of the "wives" are younger than 18, younger than maybe even 15..Polygamy is about more than marrying multiple people. They are separatists, male dominated, sexist community locked behind a fenced compound. Anway, I'm not going to spell it all out. But why do you care if 2 people, who love each other get married? You don't have to watch what they do in a bedroom. (although many straight men would agree that they find 2 women together erotic).

I hate when people say that homosexuals don't have a right to get married, bringing all of the religion into as well. If it was so dang sacred, then why do more than 50% of heterosexuals get divorced? Maybe it's time to let someone else try. Obviously the "straight" crowd really sucks at it. :2cents:

As has already been said - most people don't seem to have a problem with polygamy if it was between consenting adults. Problem is, in most cases, it involves not only young girls, but lack of consent on their part as well.

I think one of the main reasons it is still illegal even among consenting adults is a tax issue, though I don't think I have the proper knowledge to fully explain why.

And, if you think about it, they aren't legally married. So here you have 10 women, one husband. Lets say each "wife" has 3 kids (a low estimate). With only one legal wife, you now have 9 women and 27 kids who can claim welfare...and how many guys? Even at only 10 men, x 9 wives each who can claim welfare = 90 x 27 kids per "husband"= 2430 people on welfare...

In Washington state a women w/ 3 kids on welfare gets about $500 in food stamps alone, then another $1000 or so in cash. There is also Medical coverage.

$1500 x 2340=3,645,000 and that is PER MONTH.

Talk about wasting my tax dollars.

All of this is hypothecial, I did not do "official" research...so I welcome any real stats...

Because poligamists do not have as big a mouths or lobbying system. Not do they have the media behind them, portraying it as "cool" and "normal"

I am NORMAL...I am NOT a freak

thank you very much...

and die hard skins fan for 26 years

~Lori

What happened to Equal under the Law bro? :rolleyes:

The family argument is not much different than multiple marriages or even custody issues for same sex couples that use invetro.

it is when you marry underage girls.

There really isn't a connection, but I get your point of the thread. For one, Gay marriage is being force fed down our throats by the media and others who want it to be on the same level as black rights, when it isn't. The other doesn't have the steady propaganda as the other does. So it's still in the taboo stage.

Polygamy is sort of quiet and undercover, it isn't out in the open like gay marriage. trust me, give it time. If polygamy gets as much attention as gays, it will too be accepted.

Moral decay is like rust. it doesn't just lay stagnant, as long as it's kept fed, it grows and grows.

Yup, because God knows loving adults wanting to get married is moral decay :rolleyes: Go move to Iran :rolleyes:

god had nothing to do with American law. Religions may choose not to recognize them, but it should have absolutely no influence on American law.

:applause:

spot on! Religious ceremonies for marriage came well before American Laws dictated it.

Archived