Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which WRs will be cut?

keithabbott

Putting my money on your call. Maybe Thrash hangs in one more year if Mix doesn't light up preseason.

Agree. I think Thrash will be around through training camp to help the younger guys learn the WCO as he is the only WR with any experience in it.

I hope we move Mix into Thrash's spot once James has been cut.

God I hope we can improve our offense and that our O line is somewhat healthy this year.

#1 Moss - Vertical threat, speedster

#2 Randel El - In this O he could be the Wes Welker, but with style! (gadget play)

#3 Devin Thomas - Big bodied reciever with wheels.

#4 Malcolm Kelly - Big possesion receiver.

#5 Anthony Mix - Special Teams roster Spot, may even see some packages in the Red Zone or Key third downs.

The rest will be gone. I'm sorry Trhash I love ya, but these guys are younger.

Definitly going to be Moss and ARE + the two new guys.

Mix, Thrash, and Mathis will compete for the 5th spot. They're all primarily been used as special teams guys. In this, I have to think Mix takes it.

1. Younger than Thrash

2. Less Injury prone than Mathis

3. Proved himself on Special Teams coverage last year

4. Kick off return special teams isn't a concern anymore. Rock, Thomas, and ARE all there. Mathis and Thrash being kick returners isn't a benifit to them anymore

So I say Mix takes the 5th spot

#1 Moss - Vertical threat, speedster

#2 Randel El - In this O he could be the Wes Welker, but with style! (gadget play)

#3 Devin Thomas - Big bodied reciever with wheels.

#4 Malcolm Kelly - Big possesion receiver.

#5 Anthony Mix - Special Teams roster Spot, may even see some packages in the Red Zone or Key third downs.

The rest will be gone. I'm sorry Trhash I love ya, but these guys are younger.

I'm getting shivers looking at that set and the descriptions you gave.

Add that to this........

TE's

Cooley - One of the best and most dangerous TE's in the NFL

Davis - Hands down best TE in the draft, fast, solid blocker, hard worker

I'm stoked for this upcoming season.

I seriously almost peed myself when I saw that we nabbed Devin Thomas AND Malcolm Kelly. Sure, Kelly was never my favorite, but since we got Thomas too, I can't really complain because we're not putting our eggs into one basket this year. This would be nice.

Roster:

1. Moss

2. Three-way battle for the spot between Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, and Anthony Mix. Personally, I think that Devin's the most well-rounded, but you never know.

3. ARE

4. Whoever's left between Thomas, Kelly, Mix.

5. Whoever's left after 2 and 4.

We might keep Thrash on, but he'll be gone in a year or two anyway. Maybe he could be an assistant coach with the special teams or something. That'd be SICK.

In any case, as much as I know that receivers sometimes don't pan out, I can't help but smile at the possible depth chart for our receiving corps now. We've got some balance. We've got two HUGE possession receivers, two smaller speed guys, and a 6'2", 220 receiver who's got a little bit of both.

I like it. I like it a lot.

Oh...and we have Fred Davis, one of college's best tight ends last year, BACKING UP Chris Cooley, who still probably has 8-9 years ahead of him in terms of his career...and the majority of them, if not all of them, will be in Washington.

Oh...and we have Clinton Portis, who'll be coming back healthier than ever seeing as he hasn't been hurt badly since last August, in a system that won't force him to be something that he's not, backed up by Ladell Betts, who is reliable at worst if Portis does go down.

Now, it's all up to the quarterback. He's definitely got the physical tools - 6'5", 233, and a cannon arm. Now, with the unit he's got assembled before him, he'll have far less excuses. Time will tell, ultimately, but I definitely see us taking a step forward...even if that step is just a small one...

Because we are officially...STACKED.

Let's hear who you think will get cut...

80 Mann, Maurice WR 6-1 190 1 Nevada 09-14-1982

83 Thrash, James WR 6-0 204 11 Missouri Southern 04-28-1975

18 Toler, Burl WR 6-2 185 1 California 04-07-1983

13 Mathis, Jerome WR 5-11 184 3 Hampton 07-26-1983

16 McMullen, Billy WR 6-4 215 4 Virginia 03-08-1980

19 Mix, Anthony WR 6-5 235 2 Auburn 01-20-1983

89 Moss, Santana WR 5-10 200 7 Miami (Fla.) 06-01-1979

82 Randle El, Antwaan WR 5-10 190 6 Indiana 08-17-1979

Kelly, Malcolm WR 6'4" 218 Oklahoma

Thomas, Devin WR 6'2" 215 Michigan State

of those, Thrash, McMullen both gone. Mix and Mathis fight over Special teams leaving us a 5 WR rotation of.

Moss, Thomas, Kelly, ARE, Mix/Mathis.

I'm suprised that nobody has suggested this:

We could always package one of our new WR's with a 2009 draft pick for Chad Johnson/Anquan Boldin/Roy Williams. I know it seems remote now, but the bungles could be waiting til June 1st for cap reasons.

edit: because of some responses I want to make it clear that I am not for this and have been against Johnson(especially) from the beginning of the rumors. I was just suprised no one has suggested it.

We could always package one of our new WR's with a 2009 draft pick for Chad Johnson/Anquan Boldin/Roy Williams. I know it seems remote now' date=' but the bungles could be waiting til June 1st for cap reasons.[/quote']

unless it was for Roy Williams, I'd be upset. I wanna keep the guys we have and just groom them into players good as or even better as those guys who wanna get traded.

For once, I hope the Redskins do the right thing and not trade away our draft picks.

We could always package one of our new WR's with a 2009 draft pick for Chad Johnson/Anquan Boldin/Roy Williams. I know it seems remote now' date=' but the bungles could be waiting til June 1st for cap reasons.[/quote']

I don't like that idea...

What I do like is packaging perhaps Fred Davis, the least 'necessary' of the three picks but nonetheless a good TE, and a 2009 pick for a reliable corner, which we didn't get in the first day because none of the good ones fell where we wanted them to.

1. Moss

2. ARE

3. Thomas

4. Kelly

5. Mix

That's our WR group. The rest will be cut, with some of the younger guys possibly on the practice squad.

Left out Mathis on special teams, who will get hurt, and then Thrash will get the mid-season call. Stay in shape, Jim.

EDIT:

Mix is gone....the only thing that kept him on the roster was his size...which is now not a unique trait...

Good call, but I think he sticks around for a little while. It looks like Zorn is collecting the whole set of 6'+ WRs and seeing who shakes out.

1. Moss

2. ARE

3. Thomas

4. Kelly

5. Mix

That's our WR group. The rest will be cut, with some of the younger guys possibly on the practice squad.

I think Mathis stays instead of Mix, although in a WCO I could see Zorn wanting to keep six wideouts, so maybe both stay.

Honestly, and as much as I like him, Thrash is as good as gone. Mix is a good special teamer -- and we've seen that already. Mathis would have to have a great camp in order to make the team. My picks:

1. Moss

2. Thomas

3. Kelly

4. ARE

5. Mix

If they keep 6, it would be Mathis. There may be a chance Mathis could push ARE out -- just a thought.

1. Moss

2. ARE

3. D. Thomas

4. Kelly

5. Mix

This is my feeling as well, though I would not be surprised if Thrash remains also.

These are the ones I see surviving the final cut, but I suppose we'll see how things go. I'm hoping for something to happen with Mix, considering he was brought over at the request of JC and really didn't have the opportunity last season to show us much.

Archived