Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are some of the best free downloadable software?

heyholetsgogrant

Ubuntu. (Nuff said)

The Gimp

Adobe Reader

Mozilla

AntiVir

Picasa2

Google Pack

Windows Defender

Sunbelt-Kerio Personal Firewall

ThreatFire

Thunderbird

Evrsoft First Page 2006

Infranview

vlc

Azureus

Firezilla

Winscp

Gadwin Printscreen

HTTRack

CCleaner

Registrar Lite

Yahoo did a feature on this a few days ago. The 157 best free programs per PC Computer Mag. I saw several here that I will use.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2260070,00.asp

I also like Audio Recorder For Free. It can record any song that you play on the internet in mp3.

And CamStudio. It records any video on the internet such as the ones played on YouTube and saves it to an avi file.

Both of these programs can be found at download.com

I try to (but don't always) stick with open source. But the ones I use more often these days are:

OpenOffice/NeoOffice, Firefox, VLC Media Player, XnView, GB-PVR, FileZilla, Picasa, μTorrent, Miro, Songbird, 7-Zip, and Pocket Divx Encode. And Ubuntu. :)

explain

Does away with windows, is free, no malware, no viruses, and all the software apps are free. They have an office app, a photoshop app, quicken replacement app. The only thing you can't do much on them is serious gaming. But for surfing the net, pics, mp3's, vids, there is not much better.

Ubuntu Link

These are all things I've used on a regular basis at some point or another and have been reasonably impressed by. Most of it I use on a regular basis and have installed on every machine I work with.

Browser: Firefox

Mail: Thunderbird

Instant Messaging: Pidgin

Documents: Open Office

Text Editing: Notepad++

Programming: Eclipse

Photo Manipulation: GIMP, Paint.NET

Video: VLC

FTP: FileZilla

Torrent: μTorrent, Azureus

Anti-Virus: AVG Free, AntiVir

Anti-Spyware: HijackThis

Firewall: Comodo

Security: TrueCrypt (encryption), Eraser (secure erase), NetStumbler (WiFi detection)

Flash Drive: Portable Apps

I'm still trying to find better anti-spyware software right now... seems like those programs have all declined in quality over time.

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned FoxIt! and PDFCreator. PDFCreator best program ever for saving webpages. Never thought I would find that functionality as useful as I have...

OK, you got me curious. When I first saw a reference to PDFCreator, from the way the title sounds, I thought, "Why not just use OpenOffice to create PDFs?" But then you said it's a program to save websites. So... I'm in the boat you were once in, thinking that I would never find that functionality useful. (I mean, downloading, uh, content, from a website? Sure. But I use DownTHEMall for that.) What made you jump ship?

:)

Archived