Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are some of the best free downloadable software?

heyholetsgogrant

These are all things I've used on a regular basis at some point or another and have been reasonably impressed by. Most of it I use on a regular basis and have installed on every machine I work with.

Browser: Firefox check

Mail: Thunderbird is this better than Evolution, the preinstalled mail client for Ubuntu?

Instant Messaging: Pidgin check

Documents: Open Office check

Text Editing: Notepad++

Programming: Eclipse Have you tried NetBeans?

Photo Manipulation: GIMP, Paint.NET check

Video: VLC check

FTP: FileZilla

Torrent: μTorrent, Azureus

Anti-Virus: AVG Free, AntiVir check

Anti-Spyware: HijackThis

Firewall: Comodo

Security: TrueCrypt (encryption), Eraser (secure erase), NetStumbler (WiFi detection)

Flash Drive: Portable Apps

I'm still trying to find better anti-spyware software right now... seems like those programs have all declined in quality over time.

OK, you got me curious. When I first saw a reference to PDFCreator, from the way the title sounds, I thought, "Why not just use OpenOffice to create PDFs?" But then you said it's a program to save websites. So... I'm in the boat you were once in, thinking that I would never find that functionality useful. (I mean, downloading, uh, content, from a website? Sure. But I use DownTHEMall for that.) What made you jump ship?

:)

Really? I actually have started saving webpages and useful information on PDFCreator (that just creates a printer that writes to a PDF file). If there is a program that would allow me to basically download a website and all of the content on it... I think I might pee in my pants at how much time I've been wasting... I'll have to look into this... I'd like to do more web-browsing offline from now on...

Poker, it comes down mostly to preference. There's no real reason for you to switch from Evolution to Thunderbird, particularly considering that Evolution offers a more complete experience on a Linux system. I'm still primarily a Windows user, so I'm much more inclined to just use Thunderbird on both platforms for the sake of consistency... although I don't even use mail apps much anymore because of poor gmail integration (Google's fault).

I haven't tried NetBeans yet but I've heard good things. I really don't program much, though.

Objectdock is sweet. I have it on my desk and it looks awesome....So cleancut.

http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

Looks like a resource hog....

Quote:

Originally Posted by GibbsFactor

Thunderbird is mozilla's e-mail app. It's been around for years.

i know that, but is it worth installing that instead of using Evolution?

No, I use evolution on Ubuntu and it gets a ton of junk mail. Thunderbird IMO gets a lot less junk mail.

-Grant

http://sourceforge.net/

DVD Decrypter can still be downloaded, just google it.

a good spyware removal tool is

spyware blaster

for firefox the foxmarks plugin is sweet

"The Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer automatically synchronizes your bookmarks between two or more computers running Firefox. It also lets you access your bookmarks from any computer anytime via my.foxmarks.com. An easy-to-use wizard guides you through the quick startup process. Then Foxmarks works silently in the background to keep your bookmarks up-to-date on all your computers."

http://www.foxmarks.com/

dvd to mpeg4 converter

http://handbrake.fr/

Re: DownloadTHEMall

Thanks for the hint! You just saved me a lot of time. I still don't know the easiest way to view these web-pages locally since all of the links still are sent out to the Internet, but the information is there... that's pretty cool!

I don't like Thunderbird all that much right now. It's, more or less, the equivalent of Outlook Express. if that's what you want, so be it. However, I read a mozilla blog discussing the future of Thunderbird and it sounds pretty exciting so far as software development goes. :D I may get more into it if the direction turns out to be as good as it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
Question for those in this thread, are Free AVG and Comodo good products and as good as ones you buy from the store? I'm using the McAfee Comcast gives our for free....

-Grant

I just switched from McAffee to AVG a week ago, it's a lot better plus it doesn't slow performance nearly as much.

Speaking of software does anyone know of a better Instant Messenger that allows free webcam. Right now the Mrs. and I use MSN Live which isnt bad but Im allows up for something better.

Skype is a pretty great webcam setup and message setup.

Archived