Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter: Star Jones Checks Bill O'Reilly's Racist Remark

Thinking Skins

I still can't believe that people think O'Reilly is innocent in this or that he didn't mean it as offensive. Sure he didn't use it in the most offensive way, but if you think he didn't choose that word for a very specific reason (read: this thread talking about it a month later), then you're blind. Papa Bear may be a racist, is definitely an *******, but he is also smart and media savvy. To think someone like that didn't realize that using the word lynch while talking about a black women would cause an inflammatory reaction or that it isn't a hot button topic right about now (see: Jana 6) isn't very bright. :2cents:

Why is it that Ice Cube can have his little group called the Lynch Mob and nobody gets mad?

It seems like there are better and more important things to say then what some gasbag like Bill O'Reilly says.

Because they spelled it "LENCH Mob". But na, for real, the same reason some black people use the word ""n-word"". It's just one of those things.

And yeah, I agree with the second part. The key to O'Reilly is people paying attention to him. Stop giving him what he lives for and let him get old and die and be forgotton.

Because they spelled it "LENCH Mob". But na, for real, the same reason some black people use the word ""n-word"". It's just one of those things.

And yeah, I agree with the second part. The key to O'Reilly is people paying attention to him. Stop giving him what he lives for and let him get old and die and be forgotton.

Cubes group even had a lynching rope in its logo!! I guess its something Ill nver understand!!

We all know O'Reilly is an idiot and speaks out of his ass. Being shocked when he does something stupid is like being shocked when a rattlesnake bites someone. Its what they do!!

Can't wait for the NFL season to start:

Joe Buck: "Losman back to pass, swings it out to Marshawn *bleep* in the flat. *bleep* makes a move to the inside, and is stopped by John *bleep* at the 37."

Afterall, don't think 'cause you're a white commentator with a microphone that you can say people's names. :rolleyes:

Cry me one, Star.

Well, actually, technically, it's some mouthpiece giving his recent opinion about Old News. So that makes it News, right?

sure..........:laugh:

ad nauseum if i might add.

correct

And this is where the problem is. People who look at themselves as a class/race/religion first and Americans second are what's wrong.

Not once do I say "gee I wonder how this country views me as a hispanic american?". Its absolutely idiotic and its what keeps the progression of race relations in this country from going forward instead of being at a standstill the last 30 years. This sense of me versus them cos of the color of my skin/sexual preference/religion is going to kill us all.

Agreed.

Forget calling the man a racist because I don't even want to get to that level. It just shows that he's insensitive towards those who are offended by the such a word. QUOTE]

THERE! That's the problem. Everyone wants to be offended so they can feel special.

Gotta say this is true. People get butt-hurt over everything these days. I'm not saying there are not racial issues in our country, but the way in which O'Reilly used this phrase was in no way racist. I admit it's not the best choice of words when referring to an African-American, but he said it in a figure of speech manner.

Joe Buck: "Losman back to pass, swings it out to Marshawn *bleep* in the flat. *bleep* makes a move to the inside, and is stopped by John *bleep* at the 37."

Afterall, don't think 'cause you're a white commentator with a microphone that you can say people's names. :rolleyes:

Cry me one, Star.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

I think Star Jones is going after this to get attention. I feel the way I did a month ago when this was brought up. I don't even think it's a matter of giving old Bill the benefit of the doubt. I think his phrasing is innocent.

Now, as I said before... certain words are loaded and certain people have to be extra careful. I suspect that Imus' words will always be viewed with suspiscion as will the Greaseman if he's still around. Still, the words in context were not offensive.

To go to the absurd level... The sentence... In WWII, the Nazis perpetrated a Holocaust killing six million Jews, but unfortunately hate didn't die with them and antisemitism lives today.

That sentence contains a lot of my watch words... Nazi... Holocaust... Killing Jews... antisemitism, however, the sentence itself doesn't set off the fire alarm. Same with Bill's. Mind you, it would not surprise me if there were some sensitive types who hear specific words and get offended or angry.

The thing is that it is impossible not to offend someone if you dare to open your mouth. O'Reilly is often a fool. They just picked a bad example.

The funny thing here is people were more willing to accept the "out of context" excuse for O'Reilly but not for Michelle Obama. O'Reilly has the excuse of being a terminal idiot but Michelle Obama has already been labeled a traitor. Michelle Obama did not express her thoughts as clearly as she would have liked but most folks (who are not looking for negative ammo) knew exactly what she meant.

Many of the Tuskeegee airmen and others asked that same question after serving with honor and distinction overseas for America only to come home and be treated like crap. As a black man/woman how do I feel about my country and how does my country feel about me? That might be something people minus that life/perspective have a hard time understanding.

Many black people are still asking that question today despite our progress in matters of race.

Bill o'Reilly said, "'And I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels -- that is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever -- then that's legit. We'll track it down.'" The definition of the word is "To execute without due process of law, especially to hang, as by a mob." So what he's saying is before we execute her without all of the facts (like a lynching mob, for example), let's look at the facts. To me, it sounds like the quote was giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Cry me one, Star.

Verb - word suggesting action

Proper noun - word describing a specific person, place, or thing

See the difference there? Oh, and...

I still can't believe that people think O'Reilly is innocent in this or that he didn't mean it as offensive. Sure he didn't use it in the most offensive way, but if you think he didn't choose that word for a very specific reason (read: this thread talking about it a month later), then you're blind. Papa Bear may be a racist, is definitely an *******, but he is also smart and media savvy. To think someone like that didn't realize that using the word lynch while talking about a black women would cause an inflammatory reaction or that it isn't a hot button topic right about now (see: Jana 6) isn't very bright. :2cents:

We're all playing the puppets in O'Reilly's game to perfection. Pisses me off that this guy holds people's strings like this. The fact that most of you can't see through his bull**** really scares me and doesn't say much for the ability of Americans to not be manipulated.

Ok, which phony-baloney BS is more offensive to you?

Bill O'reilly purposely (or not) using a word he knows will be inflammatory to garner himself some attention...

Or Star Jones fanning the flames simply to get some attention for her fading career?

~Bang

Since a minority said so. Sad how this world works now. If used in a proper context and as a threat, yes it probably is a racist remark. But if I say "lynch" in a sentence, does it make me racist?

Several years ago, George Lynch (late of Dokken) started his own band called The Lynch Mob. Vernon Reid (Living Color) and he played the same brand of guitars. Lynch doing that "forced" Reid to stop playing ESP's and start playing Hamers.

Stupidity at his finest. His tone sucks, anyway.

Ok, which phony-baloney BS is more offensive to you?

Bill O'reilly purposely (or not) using a word he knows will be inflammatory to garner himself some attention...

Or Star Jones fanning the flames simply to get some attention for her fading career?

~Bang

Both. But she's insignifcant, does she even have a legit vehicle for her voice? She falls into the 'puppet' category I referenced. Plus, nobody is defending Jones, but for some reason they still defend that piece of bile O'Reilly.

Both. But she's insignifcant, does she even have a legit vehicle for her voice? She falls into the 'puppet' category I referenced. Plus, nobody is defending Jones, but for some reason they still defend that piece of bile O'Reilly.

Agreed.

I think your puppet analogy is correct, in a lot more instances than just this.

The Bill O'Reillys of the world only get to yank our strings if we put them in their hands. Those who would truly be influenced into thinking racial hatred about Obama's family based on a word carefully (or not) placed into a rant by a lightning rod personality are beyond help anyway.

Those of us trying to remove racial hate from our lives can't convince that small group no matter what we do, so the logical answer is to ignore them, to flex our muscle. I've said it before, and I do believe that we, those of us trying to live our lives without that garbage, are the majority. The minute we stop allowing this kind of manipulative grandstanding (Be it either for political purpose or personal gain) to move us into fits of anger is the minute it stops being effective. The minute this kind of junk doesn't gain the attention it does, the day we can say about all the race-baiting "That is the voice from the lunatic fringe, and they aren't going to change no matter how angry I get or what I say" is the day that it loses it's power and that fringe starts to fade. And then our puppet strings hit the ground.

~Bang

Verb - word suggesting action

Proper noun - word describing a specific person, place, or thing

See the difference there? Oh, and...

"I don't want to go on a lynching party..."

In this case, the word lynching is an adjective, describing party, not a verb. But thanks for the lesson. :rolleyes:

We're all playing the puppets in O'Reilly's game to perfection. Pisses me off that this guy holds people's strings like this. The fact that most of you can't see through his bull**** really scares me and doesn't say much for the ability of Americans to not be manipulated.

What scares me is people who think they can give a grammar lesson, when clearly they don't understand the use of the word themselves. Also scares me when people have no concept of context. But I guess most of all it scares me that some people choose to attack a white man who is defending the honor of a black woman.

I wonder what their agenda is?

Bill o'Reilly said, "'And I don't want to go on a lynching party against Michelle Obama unless there's evidence, hard facts, that say this is how the woman really feels. If that's how she really feels -- that is a bad country or a flawed nation, whatever -- then that's legit. We'll track it down.'" The definition of the word is "To execute without due process of law, especially to hang, as by a mob." So what he's saying is before we execute her without all of the facts (like a lynching mob, for example), let's look at the facts. To me, it sounds like the quote was giving her the benefit of the doubt.

I know exactly what O'reilly meant but he certainly could have found a better way to say it.

Here is the problem....Many black folks alive today lived through the period of time when blacks were being lynched. No matter how innocently people try to use the word it will always conjure up some seriously negative emotions.

As someone that is not new to the television profession...O'Reilly should know what words and subjects will increase his email and what things could get him flat out fired.

Like I said before...you do not see black folks mentioning lynching on national TV on a regular basis. The last two incidents with this word have been white folks which spawned a very negative response.

Unfortunately Lynching is a negative part of our history and we have to deal with the consequences of it. Like a divorce it sucks and their is no way of glossing over it and acting like it never happened.

Like a divorce it sucks and their is no way of glossing over it and acting like it never happened.

Interesting analogy.

You know what cav? I've realized, after just one month, that I need to suck it up, be there for my kids and forgive my ex-wife for what I've been through over the past year.

I've realized that anger and bitterness only lead to destruction, both personal, and to the life that my children, and even my ex-wife deserve.

Interesting too, that this is something that happened directly to me. I lost my home. I lived in a car for damn-near two months. I've been lied about in a state courtroom. I've been left with very little but some clothes, a couple pieces of furniture, and my job.

And yet, I can forgive and move on. Am I just a better person than Star Jones or what?

Interesting analogy.

You know what cav? I've realized, after just one month, that I need to suck it up, be there for my kids and forgive my ex-wife for what I've been through over the past year.

I've realized that anger and bitterness only lead to destruction, both personal, and to the life that my children, and even my ex-wife deserve.

Interesting too, that this is something that happened directly to me. I lost my home. I lived in a car for damn-near two months. I've been lied about in a state courtroom. I've been left with very little but some clothes, a couple pieces of furniture, and my job.

And yet, I can forgive and move on. Am I just a better person than Star Jones or what?

:wtf:

I was not at all referring to you or your situation. Why do you believe everything I say is about you?

FYI: My parents divorced and my oldest sister divorced so I know a little about the subject beyond you.

I'm not sure that people are defending O'Reilly as much as they're trying to pretend that the term "lynching party" doesn't have a particular historical association in this country.

Archived