Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter: Star Jones Checks Bill O'Reilly's Racist Remark

Thinking Skins

That is absolutely ridiculous. That was a racist threat made her way which was MAYBE not intended to say "I'm going to lynch you," but was intended to frighten her into apologizing.

If you really are going to say that that comment was made in defense of Michelle Obama, then you are really just blindly supporting a racist because he's a republican.

And just to clarify because I asked a compound question there which was confusing, but you do think you need to perform an act to be racist, or you do think that words alone can be racist.

You are absolutely wrong in the first paragraph. He was saying don't rush to judgement on her. He was actually giving her the benefit of the doubt, and I am amazed that some people are so blinded by words that they can't see that.

As for the second one, words can indeed make you a racist. If they are used in a racist context. Well, some words. This was not at all, in any way, used in a racist context. In my opinion.

And I'm not trying to stir anything up here, but I am wondering how nooses and lynching parties and everything became exclusively black. Lots and lots of white people have been hung and whites went crazy in New Orleans during the late 1800's after a bunch of innocent Italians were put in jail for a policeman's murder, raided a prison, and strung up 11 Italians, the largest lynching in US history, just to name one example. So how can you claim it as exclusively your own? Should the Italians be going nuts too?

You don't think that saying "unless" Michelle Obama actually didn't mean what her words say, that is "unless" she said something else or she apologizes for them, "I'm going to go to her house, burn it, and hang her from a tree," are words that provoke "anger hostility and violence?" You don't think the word "lynching" alone is a use of a word as an "act of aggression?"

I honestly think that's an indefensible position, but I welcome you to defend using the word "lynching" against a black woman in a non-aggressive way.

I've got to leave right after this, so it may take me time to respond to any response you have to my response.

I think what is happening here is one of two things:

1) O'Reilly has a history that I don't know much about in which he has lost the benefit of the doubt.

2) The degree of extrapolation being extended to this statement is unfair in exactly the same way it was unfair to villianize Michelle Obama. I think that there is a need to project and recontextualize these words in order to make them harmful. I wouldn't disagree with you that there are some racist loonies out there who may hear those words and because they already want to jump off will see this as an invitation to hatred or violence, but the words in context by themselves were asking for calm and reason.

Hey, I dislike defending Bill. He's a loudmouth and a jerk, but I think in this case people are projecting and looking to pick a fight that he doesn't deserve to be in.

OK, I'm going to TRY to inject some sanity and reason into this argument.

First off, we are not yet a full generation removed from a world where blacks had all dignity stripped from them at birth. They were abused both emotionally and physically in a way that none of us here can truly comprehend. What most people seem to forget is that many of those people are still alive. I had that point driven home when I talked to one of the finest men I have ever met. He was a soft spoken and kind old black gentleman who sat at my bar one slow night years ago when I was bartending. The stories he told me of being whipped and beaten for not chopping wood for the white man down the street weren't from a time of slavery but in the deep south they may as well have been. Now think about it. This wasn't someone telling a story that they heard about, this is someone who lived it. So please. Lets not act like this is ancient history we are talking about. It's going to take at least another generation to move past it.

Now, given all of that. I don't expect black people to just "get over" racially charged statements or actions. But I do expect some semblance of reason and sanity. We all know O'Reilly is a pompous ass. We all know he's not too bright. But you have to be a moron not to understand that despite his idiotically poor choice of words, he was trying to defend Michelle Obama. And no, I don't buy into the idea that he used those words in order to create a stir. Ockham's Razor rules here. O'Reilly the dumb ass, made a dumb ass choice of words. End of story.

Now while we are on the subject of dumb asses... Star Jones is an idiot. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't she the moron who didn't know that the earth revolved around the sun and not the other way around?

I think most people are just too wrapped up in their hatred of O'Reilly to form a rational opinion though. For them, if O'Reilly said it, its a sin, and no amount of reason will persuade them otherwise.

:2cents:

Agree with some of what you said. Star Jones is an idiot, but "the other black woman" (Sherri Shepherd) on the view is the one who has made the comments about the earth being flat, etc. So, she's not that dumb, I guess.

And I cannot agree that you can ever use the word lynching in defense of a black person. I'll lynch her if she said it, but until then I'll defend her... that's not "defending" her. That's degrading black people with a word that invokes hostility, anger, and everything else burgold was saying words can do.

I've got to leave right after this, so it may take me time to respond to any response you have to my response.

I think what is happening here is one of two things:

1) O'Reilly has a history that I don't know much about in which he has lost the benefit of the doubt.

2) The degree of extrapolation being extended to this statement is unfair in exactly the same way it was unfair to villianize Michelle Obama. I think that there is a need to project and recontextualize these words in order to make them harmful. I wouldn't disagree with you that there are some racist loonies out there who may hear those words and because they already want to jump off will see this as an invitation to hatred or violence, but the words in context by themselves were asking for calm and reason.

Hey, I dislike defending Bill. He's a loudmouth and a jerk, but I think in this case people are projecting and looking to pick a fight that he doesn't deserve to be in.

If instead of saying what he said, Bill had said the following would you think it was a racist statement:

"Michelle Obama wouldn't say that b/c she's not a n***er. Only a n***er would ever say that and mean it, and she's not a n***er. Now, if she did say it, then we'll track it down and brand her a n***er."

Would that be a racist statement, or what that be him defending her as well?

Yes, I do. Absolutely, and I apologize for not answering before.

But if you look at the context, you can clearly see that O'Reilly is saying, "don't rush to judgement on Michelle Obama." I fail to see where that's a bad thing. He should get credit for defending someone so diametrically opposed to him philosophically.

Can we agree, though, that both Michelle Obama and O'Reilly chose their words poorly?

For instance, what Obama could've said: "I've never been prouder of my country."

O'Reilly: "I'm not going to rush to judgement on Michelle Obama."

I've never experienced racism? :laugh: I was a white cop, post-Rodney King. Yeah....I've had PLENTY of assumptions made about me, thanks. My dash cam saved me once from an African-American 'gentleman' who claimed I threw him over the hood of my car and berated him on a simple traffic stop. The camera showed me calling him 'sir' throughout, and never getting him out of his car. :)

But I know. I have to walk a mile in a black man's shoes before I can say anything, but he gets to make assumptions about me all day long. My generation has done more for race relations than any in our history. I have ZERO white guilt, and I never will. I've done nothing but treat people with respect. I only wish I could receive the same from the other side.

Let me talk to a black man who's been lynched, and your analogy is dead on. :rolleyes:

Congratulations HH,

That was by far the dumbest two paragraphs in the short history of the internet. You are comparing incidents that happened on the job with criminals to over 200 years of institutionalized racism against an entire race of people. Since you are big at making up awards I have one for you. Trust me when I say you've earned it.

:1stplace: = DMFOTI (dumbest mutha ****er on the internet) AWARD

That was such a galactically dumb statement I had to check it again and have others verify it to make sure some alien did not invade your body and say it. It is obvious to me that you are incapable of discussing this issue. You just want another forum where you can play the role of victim and have people feel sorry for you.

You claimed earlier you are over your divorce and have moved on but here is the last post where you mentioned your divorce A-G-A-I-N today.:violin:

Link

It is only after you are capable of getting over yourself that a true discussion on this issue can take place.

This is the problem with lieberalism - anyone who has a slightly conservative viewpoint is a racist.

What angry conservative talk show or blog did you get that from?

If you're going to blithely attack an ideology, you should at least spell it right.

Why am I not suprised that Mr. Cav is involved in this BS. Here's what has happened so far:

O'reilly sticks up for Michelle Obama and uses the word lynching

Many people get upset for the word he used

O'reilly apologizes for his choice of words. Saying :

"While talking to a radio caller, I said there should be no lynching in the case, that comment off Clarence Thomas saying he was the victim of a high tech lynching (he said that on 60 Minutes, you may remember). I'm sorry if my statement offended anybody. That, of course, was not the intention. Context is everything."

Some people on this site decide to ignore the comment above because they will have nothing left to cry about.

I realize once again this site has men over 30 acting like 5 year olds crying to their momma because they want another cookie.

Gotta love the internets

Why am I not suprised that Mr. Cav is involved in this BS. Here's what has happened so far:

O'reilly sticks up for Michelle Obama and uses the word lynching

Many people get upset for the word he used

O'reilly apologizes for his choice of words. Saying :

"While talking to a radio caller, I said there should be no lynching in the case, that comment off Clarence Thomas saying he was the victim of a high tech lynching (he said that on 60 Minutes, you may remember). I'm sorry if my statement offended anybody. That, of course, was not the intention. Context is everything."

Some people on this site decide to ignore the comment above because they will have nothing left to cry about.

I realize once again this site has men over 30 acting like 5 year olds crying to their momma because they want another cookie.

Gotta love the internets

I know O'Reilly's intent just like I am well aware of the golf analyst's intent but guess what the road to hell is paved with. (if you believe that sort of thing)

I think O'Reilly did not mean anything bad intentionally but he must understand that he is going to incur the wrath of some within the black community when he uses the word lynching in reference to a black person.

I am not saying that is right...I am saying that is the way it is.

Ideally we should not be that way...but America is far from ideal for most of us (all ethnicities).

Agree with some of what you said. Star Jones is an idiot, but "the other black woman" (Sherri Shepherd) on the view is the one who has made the comments about the earth being flat, etc. So, she's not that dumb, I guess.

And I cannot agree that you can ever use the word lynching in defense of a black person. I'll lynch her if she said it, but until then I'll defend her... that's not "defending" her. That's degrading black people with a word that invokes hostility, anger, and everything else burgold was saying words can do.

I never said it was not a poor choice of words. But lets face it, he isn't the first person to make that analogy for a person being attacked in the media. If most people had said it and issued the apology that he made, it would have been done and over with. But some people are just using this as an opportunity to "lynch" (yeah, I said it :rolleyes:) O'Reilly.

If instead of saying what he said, Bill had said the following would you think it was a racist statement:

"Michelle Obama wouldn't say that b/c she's not a n***er. Only a n***er would ever say that and mean it, and she's not a n***er. Now, if she did say it, then we'll track it down and brand her a n***er."

Would that be a racist statement, or what that be him defending her as well?

Doesn't it bother you that you have to reach farther and farther to form an argument? Now you are just making **** up that is 100 times worse that what was said and trying to say it's the same thing. Dude, you are off in crazy person land here. :doh:

I know O'Reilly's intent just like I am well aware of the golf analyst's intent but guess what the road to hell is paved with. (if you believe that sort of thing)

I think O'Reilly did not mean anything bad intentionally but he must understand that he is going to incur the wrath of some within the black community when he uses the word lynching in reference to a black person.

I am not saying that is right...I am saying that is the way it is.

Ideally we should not be that way...but America is far from ideal for most of us (all ethnicities).

So why are you still putting on this show? He appologized for offending anyone. What is the point of your posts in the last 6 pages?

So why are you still putting on this show? He appologized for offending anyone. What is the point of your posts in the last 6 pages?
Yeah, he is really getting "crusified" for his remarks, but this thread surely has been a "gas". HH is getting "hung" out to dry on this one. He should "ditch" this before he gets "lynched" himself.

What angry conservative talk show or blog did you get that from?

If you're going to blithely attack an ideology, you should at least spell it right.

Not sure, I dont get to listen too much - I'm a Howard Stern listener.

Let me guess, you get your info from Al Franken? Good choice.

I apologize for my lack of typing skills but obviously you have no intelligent response if thats all you can come up with.

Not sure, I dont get to listen too much - I'm a Howard Stern listener.

Let me guess, you get your info from Al Franken? Good choice.

I apologize for my lack of typing skills but obviously you have no intelligent response if thats all you can come up with.

Can't stand Al Franken, actually. I generally only listen to sports talk radio. I'm not the liberal bogeyman you're looking for.

I think my repsonse was far more intelligent than the post that prompted it, where a cliched opinion that has little basis in reality was given as if it was established fact. It is not. And, as I've said before here, I'm a stickler for proper spelling.

"I don't want to go on a lynching party..."

In this case, the word lynching is an adjective, describing party, not a verb. But thanks for the lesson. :rolleyes:

That's a specific example. The discussion is whether or not a white person can use the word 'lynch' talking about a black person. Lynch is a verb - anyway, even as an adjective it suggests action and therefore is in no way comparable to a proper noun.

"What scares me is people who think they can give a grammar lesson, when clearly they don't understand the use of the word themselves. Also scares me when people have no concept of context. But I guess most of all it scares me that some people choose to attack a white man who is defending the honor of a black woman.

I wonder what their agenda is?

If you seriously think that POS O'Reilly is defending Michelle Obama and that he didn't purposely use the word 'lynching' just to get people's ire up (like he sure as hell did - "its racist" "white people are censored" :doh: :doh: :doh: ) than perhaps I've given you too much credit.

That's a specific example. The discussion is whether or not a white person can use the word 'lynch' talking about a black person. Lynch is a verb - anyway, even as an adjective it suggests action and therefore is in no way comparable to a proper noun.

If you seriously think that POS O'Reilly is defending Michelle Obama and that he didn't purposely use the word 'lynching' just to get people's ire up (like he sure as hell did - "its racist" "white people are censored" :doh: :doh: :doh: ) than perhaps I've given you too much credit.

Now I'm sold:doh:. It's amazing how you know true intentions of people. It was a genius move on his part. Stick up for her while far right people are reaming her. But don't really stick up for her, just say you're sticking up for her but really be out to get her. Damn. That's impressive that you figured this out. I wonder when he's going to unleash another "attack her by sticking up for her" attack? Can you tell me?

Now I'm sold:doh:. It's amazing how you know true intentions of people. It was a genius move on his part. Stick up for her while far right people are reaming her. But don't really stick up for her, just say you're sticking up for her but really be out to get her. Damn. That's impressive that you figured this out. I wonder when he's going to unleash another "attack her by sticking up for her" attack? Can you tell me?

How is he defending her??? Not attack does not equate to defense. Looking at the guy's history has led me to believe he is the scum of the universe - therefore, yes, I think he is diabolical to do what I have stated.

Archived