Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN/ WT : Redskins Hire Zorn to be Offensive Coordinator (Merged) M.E.T.

laythalumber2130

LIke I said earlier, I'm surpsised Jim left the area here, but Dan can be very alluring when hiring. :) And IMO, people who love JC and believe he's the full meal deal could consider this a boon vs. Al being JC's main mentor.

I'm really shocked if all this is true that he's leaving Seattle, but one would have to assume he got no assurances beyond this year. He has stated that being a HC is his goal and if that's the case he was going to have to likely get out of Seattle sooner or later.

Zorn seems to be a capable coach. I don't see where this is a horrible move for the Redskins. Hasselbeck and Campbell are both tall quarterbacks who had footwork and release issues when they came into the NFL. Certainly, Hasselbeck has grown as a quarterback and become a pro bowler.

The only issue here is one of putting the horse before the cart.

We have an OC but no HC.

But that is assuming the Redskins have not had 'secret' contacts with Spagnuolo or another defensive assistant that is on the radar screen as a HC hire.

That individual might have identified Zorn much as Fassel did.

We will have to see.

Cite?

I haven't read that anywhere. And seeing as how GW has been completely silent, this claims SMACKS of BS.

Zorn Deal is True

This is from Jason Reid: We've confirmed an ESPN report that Jim Zorn has been hired as the Redskins' new offensive coordinator even though a head coach has not been named. We reported a couple days ago that Zorn was at the top of Jim Fassel's list of potential offensive coordinators and is very highly regarded by Gregg Williams as well.

Read the remainder at http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Stupid move. It was clear to me that Campbell and the offense had improved from the first year to the next, and Todd Collins proved that the offense can be pretty good. I hate being a fan of a franchise that never gives it's coaches a chance (with Snyder) to prove themselves. We'll never be consistently good that way.

FROM REDSKINS INSIDER

Zorn Deal is True

This is from Jason Reid: We've confirmed an ESPN report that Jim Zorn has been hired as the Redskins' new offensive coordinator even though a head coach has not been named. We reported a couple days ago that Zorn was at the top of Jim Fassel's list of potential offensive coordinators and is very highly regarded by Gregg Williams as well.

The hiring of Zorn likely means that associate head coach -- ofense Al Saunders is finished with the team. Owner Daniel Snyder and vice president of football operations Vinny Cerrato were privately critical of the offense's performance under Saunders the past two seasons. The two were especially concerned, sources said, about the development of young quarterback Jason Campbell, whose progress is the organization's top priority.

-----------------------

I have to say that if this is about developing Jason then I'm at least pleased it's a top priority.

Zorn Deal is True

Read the remainder at http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Thanks Bro. Dude thought I was lying.

Well, I hope this means that Gregg Williams will be the HC. I can't even bear to think of the possibility of Fassel. Otherwise, what potential HC would walk in here with an OC already in place and no input?

If they burned all their copies of the 700-page playbook in a far practice field at Redskins Park, how long would it take for the resultant smoke and ash plume over DC to dissipate?

it going to be harder to sign a headcoach because usually they want to bring in their own guys. Two scenarios: GW didnt like saunders os they bring in Zorn and then hire GW for hc and bring in someone like the linebackers coach to run the defense.Or they go get marty schott. because he liked zorn and now they have schotty and zorn and who ever schotty wants to bring in!

...or the kid who replaces Campbell in 2009. I don't think it's likely you'll find someone with a better resume for developing QBs, but his rise to the OC position was kinda slow. He's 54.
Jeez, I forgot he was as old as me. :laugh:

Those are empty titles with inflated names that we've used to draw in people from other teams while skirting rules that would otherwise obstruct lateral moves. They don't impress me, which is why I still refer to Saunders as the OC and Williams as the DC, which is precisely what their roles in fact were.

Not only has Saunders been the OC but he has been the one that has been schooling Campbell. Zorn comes from a completely different school of offensive thought than Saunders does.

I have a bad feeling that we are going to be drafting yet another QB in the first day of the draft that fits Zorn's philosophy very soon.

Archived