Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN/ WT : Redskins Hire Zorn to be Offensive Coordinator (Merged) M.E.T.

laythalumber2130

Here is a link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3214785

Zorn leaves Seattle to become offensive coordinator in Washington

By Mike Sando

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: January 25, 2008, 5:09 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Jim Zorn has accepted an offer to become offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins, sources said.

Zorn, 54, has coached quarterbacks for the Seattle Seahawks since 2001. He was previously quarterbacks coach for Detroit from 1998 to 2000.

Zorn's hiring comes as the Redskins continue their search for a head coach.

Zorn reportedly met with Redskins owner Daniel Snyder this week. He returned to Seattle, spoke with the Seahawks about a new deal and decided the Redskins' offer provided his best option. Zorn's deal with Washington is expected to cover three years.

Seattle's offensive staff has enjoyed remarkable stability during Mike Holmgren's nine-year run as head coach. But with Holmgren deciding to step down after the 2008 season, key staff members are considering their options.

Jim Mora, the Seahawks' secondary coach and assistant head coach, is a leading candidate to succeed Holmgren. The Seahawks have already lost receivers coach Nolan Cromwell and offensive quality-control coach Gary Reynolds to Mike Sherman's new staff at Texas A&M. Seattle also hired former Kansas City offensive coordinator Mike Solari to coach the offensive line, replacing Bill Lavernoni, who was not retained.

On the defensive side, former coordinator Ray Rhodes, a consultant in recent seasons, is headed to the Houston Texans as a defensive assistant.

Zorn was previously an offensive coordinator at Utah State from 1992 to 1994. He coached quarterbacks at Boise State from 1988 to 1991, and quarterbacks at Minnesota from 1995 to 1996. His first NFL coaching job was as an offensive assistant with Seattle in 1997.

Zorn's departure comes as Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck is coming off one of his finest seasons. Hasselbeck has credited Zorn for helping with his development into a four-time Pro Bowl passer. He has specifically credited Zorn as a steadying influence during difficult stretches, including when Hasselbeck lost his starting job in 2001.

Zorn is one of nine former Seahawks enshrined in the team's Ring of Honor. He became the team's first starting quarterback in 1976, when Seattle entered the NFL as an expansion franchise. He played nine seasons for the team, earning a reputation as a scrambling playmaker and improviser.

Zorn's creativity was also apparent in his years as an assistant coach, Holmgren has said. It was not immediately clear who would replace Zorn in Seattle.

The Seahawks were 2-0 in playoff games against the Redskins with Zorn coaching quarterbacks.

Mike Sando covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

If our offense is gonna be West Coast offense, I support this fully. Jason Campbell was used this system in college, from what I understand. He supposedly have a completion rate of 70%+. One knock on JC was that his deep ball was highly inaccurate.

What? JC is the opposite of West Coast QB. Slow release, questionable accuracy, questionable decision making. A college version of the system versus college defenses is NOTHING like an NFL WC system. QBs like Jeff Garcia thrive in these systems, not guys like JC.

If our offense is gonna be West Coast offense, I support this fully. Jason Campbell was used this system in college, from what I understand. He supposedly have a completion rate of 70%+. One knock on JC was that his deep ball was highly inaccurate.

While I believe Campbell ran the spread well in college because he's a good player, he did have Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams in the backfield. Teams must have put 8 or more in the box to help stop them, which would leave Campbell with many open targets.

so, Snyder is following Jones' script in Dallas where Garrett was hired to develop the offense while Jerry still was searching through to find a HC.

this to me indicates the HC candidate will in all likelihood be a defensive coach :)

Warning, you're being logical. Logic and Dan Snyder really don't mix, at least to this point in time.

I agree totally, and Al will still remain wit the team. the hired was because of the departing coaches from the gibbs staff; Don Breaux, Jack Burns, Bill Khayat, and possibly Joe Bugel

Anyway, I know everyone is going to say "Garrett! Garrett! Garrett!"

But, I still think that move has completely undercut Phillips at every turn. And even then it was slightly justifiable, because Jones had a history with Garrett and probably knew what he woud get out of him.

I really don't understand where the relationship between Vinny/Snyder/Fassel/Gibbs/Willimas/anyone-associated-with-the-Skins and Zorn developed. I feel like Vinny reads the same newspapers I do, because I read an article on Zorn a few months ago and said, "I bet he ends up a decent OC in the next two or three years." I just never imagined it would be in Washington.

Archived