Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Probably no more QB controversy

Zguy28

Yesterday on the John Riggins show, there was much talk of how the situation would play out with Jason Campbell and Todd Collins next year.

Would they Re-Sign Collins (who was a FA) and if so, would that cause a controversy or hurt JC's growth?

Well, with Gibbs retiring, it most likely will mean that Saunders will go too (unless he's promoted) since new coach's generally tend to clean house somewhat with regards to staff. This will in turn likely result in Todd Collins not being re-signed by the Redskins.

Thoughts on this?

Does anybody know of any backups out there who we might consider signing instead?

Campbell is to Gibbs what Tony Banks was to Vermeil. I think whoever takes over will want someone else. If Saunders remains as OC, we're definitely bringing in a new QB. If Saunders goes and GW remains as head coach, Campbell might stay.

When all the speculation started months ago about whether Gibbs would return, I stated his decision would be based on whether he believes Campbell can develop into a franchise QB. I think we have our answer. Last time around it was giving up 2 #1s for Desmond Howard. When it was obvious Howard wasn't an NFL receiver, that was the final turning point. This time it's giving up 3 picks for Campbell.

Gibbs as consultant. Williams as HC. Saunders as OC and Collins as QB coach with JC as starting QB.. Brunell to retire. Palmer back on practice squad? sign a vet backup. and prolly draft another QB in the last round to push JC.
I would be OK with that for a year, but would expect immediate results.

I wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point.

If Williams is the HC and Saunders remains as OC, I would expect there to be an open QB competition between JC and TC (assuming TC resigns). However, given Saunders affinity to TC I wouldn't be surprised if TC was the starter and JC was traded in the offseason. Especially if someone offered a 1st.

If an outside head coach like Cowher is brought in, I'm assuming both GW and AS are gone, and TC too. Maybe JC stays and starts, but I wouldn't be shocked to see both TC and JC gone and a new guy brought in.

Hopefully the new HC fires Vinny like Marty did back in 01.

My big fear now is that with the cat (Joe) away, the mice (Danny and Vinny) will play.

It makes more sense now that Gibbs was vague on the QB situation. He simply is letting the new coaching staff make the decision.

For the record, I called it yesterday :)

I think GW is going to look more long term than Gibbs would have. I think he'll name Campbell as the starter

I wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point.

If Williams is the HC and Saunders remains as OC, I would expect there to be an open QB competition between JC and TC (assuming TC resigns). However, given Saunders affinity to TC I wouldn't be surprised if TC was the starter and JC was traded in the offseason. Especially if someone offered a 1st.

Saunders has been quoted saying that Campbell would be the starter.

Campbell is to Gibbs what Tony Banks was to Vermeil. I think whoever takes over will want someone else. If Saunders remains as OC, we're definitely bringing in a new QB. If Saunders goes and GW remains as head coach, Campbell might stay.

So you're saying that Al Saunders lied to Jason Campbell?

When all the speculation started months ago about whether Gibbs would return, I stated his decision would be based on whether he believes Campbell can develop into a franchise QB. I think we have our answer. Last time around it was giving up 2 #1s for Desmond Howard. When it was obvious Howard wasn't an NFL receiver, that was the final turning point. This time it's giving up 3 picks for Campbell.

We gave up 2 picks for campbell.

you don't count the spot you moved up from as a traded pick.

I can't see JC leaving to go with Saunders. Even TC said it takes 3 years to be effective in Saunders offense and Jason has only had two. Saunders offense needs someone with a quick release and Jason has a sidearm windup. Saunders offense needs a qb that is comfortable throwing to an open spot on the field and not waiting until the receiver is open. Saunders offense needs a qb who has finese on his short passes and Jason guns most every ball. While I still think Jason has talent and potential, I've never thought he was a good fit for this offense. But then he could announce tomorrow that they are both leaving for Miami. What do I know?

Archived