Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rules of fanhood...especially termination of fanhood

akorn22

If your taking the time to post, on an internet message board, about our mutual passion with other like minded fans; the message board of a team that's been more or less constantly pathetic for nigh on two decades; then anybody questioning your 'fanhood' because they happen to disagree with you honestly isn't worth your effort to respond.

If you can take the time out of your busy life to care enough to discuss this team with like minded fans, your passion for and support of the Washington Redskins is NOT in question.

Hail.

A four year gap in a thread, and it's as relevant today as it was then.

I know...

I just bumped b/c I'm sick of hearing people say people's fan cards should be revoked if they say anything contrary to popular opinion

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 07:06 PM ----------

If your taking the time to post, on an internet message board, about our mutual passion with other like minded fans; the message board of a team that's been more or less constantly pathetic for nigh on two decades; then anybody questioning your 'fanhood' because they happen to disagree with you honestly isn't worth your effort to respond.

If you can take the time out of your busy life to care enough to discuss this team with like minded fans, your passion for and support of the Washington Redskins is NOT in question.

Hail.

Well said indeed Gibbs!

Yikes... How bad is it that I didn't even look at the date on this thread and thought it was JUST made?

I love these rules of fanhood by Bill Simmons. Truly inspiring stuff. This is just an excerpt, but the whole article can be found here: http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020227

18. If you live in a city that has fielded a professional team since your formative years, you have to root for that team. None of this, "The Bengals weren't very good when I was growing up in Cincy, so I became a Cowboys fan" crap.

Also, you can't start rooting for a team, back off when they're in a down cycle, then renew the relationship once the team starts winning again. All those Cowboys fans who jumped off the bandwagon in the late-'80s, jumped back on during the Emmitt/Aikman Era, then jumped back off in the late-'90s ... you know who you are. You shouldn't even be allowed out in public.

(There's nothing worse than a Bandwagon Jumper. If sports were a prison and sports fans made up all the prisoners, the Bandwagon Jumpers would be like the child molesters -- everyone else would pick on them, take turns beating them up.....)

19. Once you choose a team, you're stuck with that team for the rest of your life ... unless one of the following conditions applies:

•Your team moves to another city. All bets are off when that happens. In fact, if you decided to turn off that sport entirely, nobody would blame you.

•You grew up in a city that didn't field a team for a specific sport -- so you picked a random team -- and then either a.) your city landed a team, or b.) you moved to a city that fielded a team for that specific sport. For instance, one of my Connecticut buddies rooted for the Sixers during the Doctor J Era, then happened to be living in Orlando when the Magic came to town. Now he's a Magic fan. That's acceptable.

•One of your immediate family members either plays professionally or takes a relevant management/coaching/front office position with a pro team.

•You follow your favorite college star (and this has to be a once-in-a-generation favorite college star) to the pros and root for his team du jour ... like if you were a UNC fan for the past 20 years, and you rooted for the Bulls (because of MJ) and then the Raptors (because of Vince). Only works if there isn't a pro team in your area.

•The owner of your favorite team treated his fans so egregiously over the years that you couldn't take it anymore -- you would rather not follow them at all then support a franchise with this owner in charge. ( :) ) Just for the record, I reached this point with the Boston Bruins about six years ago. When it happens, you have two options: You can either renounce that team and pick someone else, or you can pretend they're dead, like you're a grieving widow. That's what I do. I'm an NHL widow. I don't even want to date another team.

•If you're between the ages of 20-40, you're a fan of the Yankees, Cowboys, Braves, Raiders, Steelers, Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, Canadiens and/or Oilers, and you're not actually from those one of those cities ... well, you better have a reason that goes beyond "When I was picking a favorite team as a kid, they were the best team, so I picked them."

At least give me a reason like "Reggie Jackson was my favorite player growing up," or "I always liked the red Bulls uniforms," or even "Everyone in my gang wore Raiders colors." Do you really want to be known as a bona fide Bandwagon Jumper?

20. If you hail from New York, you can't root for the Yankees and the Mets. You have to choose between them. Repeat: You have to choose between them. Don't give me this "As long as one of them is doing well, at least New York is winning" spiels. What is this, the sports fan's version of bisexuality? How about making a choice? Any New Yorker who said the words "It's the Yankees versus the Mets ... I can't lose!" during the 2000 World Series deserves to be tortured with a cattle prod.

Besides, as we mentioned in the beginning of this column, you shouldn't practice "Sports Bigamy" in general. Sports teams are just like wives ... you can only have one wife, you can only have one sports team, and for the love of God, I will not argue about this.

If you stop being a fan, IMO the only way is to stop following the sport. You can stop following football, but you can't switch teams because your team is struggling (even though struggling is putting it kindly for this organization at this point)

Don't do it. That kind of what if will drive you nuts. As for rules for fanhood. Honestly just don't get why some folks worry about the "fanhood" of another one or how,what,when they express. Seems kind of frivilous in the grand scheme of things.

Don't do it. That kind of what if will drive you nuts. As for rules for fanhood. Honestly just don't get why some folks worry about the "fanhood" of another one or how,what,when they express. Seems kind of frivilous in the grand scheme of things.

Doesn't it.

Even more so when your screaming and hollering at a faceless name on a screen your never going to meet in all probability.

Taken that on, and I'm guilty of this myself at times, but the internet argument is the most asinine of exercises.

Hail.

Redskins fan hood is till death do you part, sangre por sangre. If you can terminate your fan hood for a team on a whim, it means you were never really a fan in the 1st place.

are you questioning my FANHOOD???

:slap:

This made me sad to see... God Bless the Dead

One of the reasons I hate the Ravens and Panthers so much, is that many (if not most) of their fans were former Redskins "fans." If you are a true fan (short for fanatic) you would never ever quit on your team. You can root for another team, occasionally, but you can't call yourself a fan and then change allegiances.

For example, I am a fan(atic) of the Redskins, but I root for the Colts when Peyton Manning is playing, because I like him as a football player. If Manning were to retire, I would not root for the Colts. When the Colts play against the Skins, I hope Manning gets broken by Orakpo.

Anywho, that is my opinion. Any thoughts?

Isn't it up to each individual to decide how much a team means to him or her? People can be Redskin fans and still have it not mean the world to them. Some Redskin fans might even value fantasy football or a walk in the park over the Redskins. To them, the Redskins might simply be that person's favorite NFL team.

Personally, the Redskins mean more to me than any other hobby or activity. Obviously I value my family and things like that more, but nothing else recreational compares. The way that I maintain the objective perspective is that I realize that I'm happier when the Redskins win than the guy who cares less. That's enough for me without having to play the fan card game.

Isn't it up to each individual to decide how much a team means to him or her? People can be Redskin fans and still have it not mean the world to them. Some Redskin fans might even value fantasy football or a walk in the park over the Redskins. To them, the Redskins might simply be that person's favorite NFL team.

I think that people can have a rooting interest in a team and control how much the team means to them. But inherently being a fan, stresses something so much more. It requires true devotion to that team, where life is effected in every facet to some degree.

No matter how much you disagree with another fan on this board the fact that they are here discussing the Redskins good or bad should tell you that they are a fan. Opinions different than your own does not measure fanhood. There is no house of fanhood with plaques and hall of posts.

All I ask is that the fan tries his or her best to understand what it is they're watching.

Football is in itself a very intricate and interesting game. Nothing happens without a reason.

If all you have is an emotional interest in the team, I'm not sure what void you're filling.

I have been a Redskins fan for over 40 years. I've seen the good, the great, the bad and the worst.

And through all the joy, anger, happiness and frustration, one thing it has done is make me want to know more and more about the intricacies that make the game happen the way it does.

For 40 years i've devoured everything about the game i can see, not just the Redskins. I have read every book i can find. I've played, and I've watched.

I could never give up on the Redskins.

~Bang

Archived