Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rules of fanhood...especially termination of fanhood

akorn22

Real fans don't EVER terminate their "fanhood!' EVER.

QFT...

Criticism is acceptable as long as it is constructive. People who just go around saying a player, coaches or the whole team sucks are not being constructive. Try to remember that the NFL goes into cycles... we are almost to our cycle... I would highly recommend not turning in your Redskin fan card now, because this team is on the verge of being good again...

First, if you are able to turn in a "fan card" then you were never a real fan. Being a real fan has nothing to do with buying lots of merch or holding season tickets or being a complete pollyanna homer about playoff chances, etc. If the idea of wholeheartedly supporting a team other than the skins makes you uncomfortable in some way, you are a true fan.

I'll keep it simple. I have plenty of freinds and family who know how dedicated and hardcore of a 'skins fan I am and anybody else that questions my "fanhood" can **** themselves. Again, you don't know me and probably never will so **** yourself.

Sorry, if that comes off as harsh, but I'm sure you understand after yet another woulda, coulda, shoulda game. :mad:

I think that you have a right to criticize the team. I don't think that you shoud be able to jump ship when the team is doing badly and then when they are winning you come back on board. Ask the Red Sox and Cubs fans if they think that it is possible to jump ship to the Yankees or Cardinals and then come back to the Sox or Cubbies. I don't think that you get one fan who is worth their weight in gold to say that jumping ship is OK. If a fan leaves, IMO, then that person was never meant to be apart of the fan group. I have a friend who wavers all the time. I watch em' and then I get disgusted and turn it off and do something else. He is what I would call a casual fan. He probably won't route for another team, but he won't be committed like me (where I will sit and watch them get blown out). You know it is like Tom Paine about the sunshine patriots, you have be there for the terrible winters. Lord knows I have sat there for many of them, but I was there when they won three super bowls and they were in the playoffs almost every year. So can I turn my back on them? Absolutely not! I think that as fans we have a right to say what is wrong with the team, but we should never waver and be like saints fans who don't show up or carolina fans as well. We are a proud fan base and I do see it being eroded away. I wish that more fans would have the faith and strength to just stand up and be fans to their team.

after the Eagles game, then the Cowboys game and then yesterday after the Bucs game I've come not to place to much value on the Skins, after that Eagles game I realized I place more of an importance on the Skins winning then the actual players do....call me a jumper or whatever, but I just won't place myself in that situation again....I'll never stop being a Skins fan (that's for sure, and after these last several yrs how could I) but I'm not going to live and die (emotionally any longer) over this team...it's just not worth it...in fact I sold my Bears tickets (why should I stay up late and be tired the next day at work for this)....

You know i wish i could stop loving the redskins. Every sunday they fill my heart with joy and anger. I can't stop loving them even if i wanted too. They are teh team i grew up with and they are the team i will die with.

Every sunday i try and detach myself before teh game so that i don't double over at the end of the game in agony and every sunday i still yell at every mistake and cheer after every great play.

If you are a "true fan' (i do hate that label) then you can never stop loving these redskins no matter how hard you try, its something ingrained in your character and you can't just throw it away cause you are angry.

HTTR!

I couldn't have put it any better myself....

akorn22, you make me so proud! Great thread, mah man! First, let us NOT forget that sports is a wonderful metaphor for life, & I would consider fandom the figurative equlivalent of a family tie, in terms of loyalty. Some folks would NEVER consider walking out on their parent/spouse/sibling et al, no matter what the circumstances are. However, if the disagreement was strong enough, other people would pack thier bags, regardless of the relative they had a problem with. Everyone is different, my friend. That's why you get 15 different reactions to the same results on this board.

I myself place a high priority on loyalty. Consequently, as a fan, I'm the one guy who's screaming & yelling & cussin' over a season finale featuring two doormat teams--because MY Pride 'N Joy are one of them. Shoot man, I've ALWAYS been a Washington Redskins kool-aid drinker! I am the most diehard fan of the team in my family (they all reside in Metro DC), among my friends, on my job, when I was in school, & in my neighborhood. Part of my distinguishing traits for those that know me is that I'm such a diehard. No one that knows me (in his or her right mind) would ever agree to watch a Regular Season Skins Game with me. And the funny thing is that I don't blame 'em. I'm a maniac over them damn games. I don't excuse this behavior, but Washington Football is my heart!!!! I honestly don't think I could ever reside outside of North America for an extended time frame, BECAUSE I love the Skins so much, & couldn't handle NOT seeing that many of their games! I am one notch under the face-painting crowd, I guess.

But you bring up an intriguing question, akorn22; namely, what constitutes TRUE fandom? I don't think simply having an entire wardrobe of team aparrel cuts it, since I have seen folks with tons of merchandise leave the sports bar early 'cause we were losing. Now I own ONE Redskins tee shirt, but I promise you that people know I'm a Skins fan BY SIGHT, because they've seen me zealously rooting for the team. [side note; how I've never been kicked out've the sports bar for my DC zealotry is beyond me. Seriously, let's just say that sometimes I've gotten carried away watchin' the B&G. I don't mean anything by it & mgmt knows that, but there have been some times I really got boisterous.]

What about being from the area where the team plays? Surely a TRUE fan of a team lives within the teams home region, some would say. For instance, a guy living in colorado could call himself a broncos fan & nobody would question it. He could probably even spin yarns about the star players' relationshipds with the local community. But does this make him a TRUER fan than a dude living in jersey, whose love for the same team runs just as deep?

Or, how about knowledge? This is that 'I am a REAL fan because I know x, & you're just a pretender' line of thinking. Can you name the entire Starting Offense of JG's first Super Bowl Champion? Hell, I can't. In fact, going through the threads, people constantly point out stuff I'd long forgotten or frankly didn't know ALL THE TIME! Are they the real fans? Am I the pretender? ??????

No, akorn22. Real "fanhood" is about loyalty. THAT is the true measuring stick to me. A true dyed-in-the-wool partisan of ANY team rolls with the squad through thick & thin. Look around the sports universe--as much as I hate the chicago cubs, those guys have a VERY rabid & loyal fan base...& they suck! Conversely, I'm an atlanta resident & I follow the braves in the off-season. Now let me tell ya, these braves fans down here are SOOOO milquetoast, its ridiculous! Atlanta does not even sell out post season home games! That is an unacceptable level of fan support for its team, in my view. This is indicative of a larger issue to me. Some fans, as well as cities, will stand by their team. Some won't. Take philly, as a dubious example of the latter. Those guys sure are quick to turn on the team they love soooo much....however jets fans are still packing the meadowlands, and ny's season has been over for at least a month now. And the MILISECOND the cowboys become a sub .500 team, their stands will look like swiss cheese.

It is loyalty that separates the casual from the serious fan. In tough times (or seasons, for that matter), the fair weather guy has already walked away from the team to pursue other interests, while the diehard sticks by his squad. In a certain way, cheering a sports team, like many things in life, can be considered an investment. Sure, you could time it right & make a quick buck. But besides the obvious, there is no real profit in frontrunning, because you've planted no roots. On the other hand, riding with a specific team through its ups & downs creates a bond. And then when that team does great things, the personal reward will be infinitely greater!!!!!

Please keep the faith, akorn22. You'll get your Super Bowl Championship--I'm certain of it! And when you do, it'll be one of the sweetest accomplishments, because you, as well as the Team, paid your dues for it & earned it. That, my dear friend, is what it is all about!

HTTR forevermore!

listen, i've never been so sick and dissappointed in the skins as i was yesterday, yet i'm looking forward to next weeks game against the bills.

in all the stuff i've been through in the past few months this team, despite how much they have sucked in the past few weeks (despite some of the high points) has kept me on my feet.

NEVER lose your fanhood, a definition of a true fan is a fan through the good times and bad.

a fan that loses fanhood no matter what the reason when the team is down is just another bandwagoner in my book.

Skins football is in my blood. I could give up a NBA team and move on. Same with any MLB team. I love the B and G. But Im very, very unhappy with my Skins right now. Disgusted. Im just gonna move back a bit, take a break. As in not making that effort to make sure I can sit back and watch my boys on any given Sunday. Against the Bills Ill listen a bit to Sonny and Sam . I cant sit in my lazy boy anymore this season and allow myself to view such a inconsistent, disappointing team make such fools of themselves. That's that.

Yes you will :cheers: At 12:30 this Sunday, you'll start to second guess that decision, you'll start to wonder, "but if they DO play good, I'll miss my chance to watch my favorite team play a decent game" (one of the few this season...sigh)

How do I know you so well? (Because I've said the same damn thing and I always end up being glued to the tube to watch the stumble-bums)

• 3 years later...
I'll keep it simple. I have plenty of freinds and family who know how dedicated and hardcore of a 'skins fan I am and anybody else that questions my "fanhood" can **** themselves. Again, you don't know me and probably never will so **** yourself.

Sorry, if that comes off as harsh, but I'm sure you understand after yet another woulda, coulda, shoulda game. :mad:

Yep. It is easy to pull for a winner. Being a Skins fan builds character.

I love this team!

Archived