Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On January 7th, 2004, where did you think this team would be now?

SkinsHokieFan

Thinking back to that night when I was sitting in NJ on ES and this whole place was pondering what was about to happen. Joe Gibbs was coming back to coach the Washington Redskins, all I could think was "Superbowls. Lots of them"

Yes, Superbowls. Plural. At least 2 in 5 years, sort of like the run he had in his first 5 years

Dominance. Halftime adjustments. Clutch play. Division titles. And Superbowls

What were you thinking when you heard the news?

Don't know if I thought we would necessarily win multiple SBs, but I thought we'd be on the track we appeared to be starting at the end of '05. Thought the five-game finish that year would lead to bigger things.

I did NOT anticipate the rust that was still going to be on Gibbs four years into his second stint. The poor clock management has been unacceptable.

I definitely thought we would have won at least one NFC East title by now, and been in at least one NFC championship game by now. And been on anyone's short list of credible NFL contenders (on the list with somewhere between the Colts, Cowboys, Packers)

That's at a minimum what I expected. What I hoped for beyond that was an actual 4th Lombardi.

The last thing I would have expected is a sub .500 record over the four years.

I expected a superbowl win by year 4.

Year One- Gibbs adjusts to modern nfl

Year Two- we have a playoff run

Year Three- We make it nfc championship game

Year Four - we win superbowl

Year Five- we win superbowl and get one for the thumb. Gibbs Retires!

Well that isn't happening or will!

Year Five- Gibbs is no longer head coach and new coach leads us deep into playoffs.

I didnt expect much better from a team that sucked so badly for a decade before that. hes not a miracle worker and he cant do it alone himself. he needs everyone else on the team to believe in it. some did/do and some didnt/dont! you cant play half awake and expect to win every game. the whole team, coaches including needs to stop and decide what they want with this team. that also includes the idiot of the owner too!

Man, I called my wife and was so happy. I hadn't been that excited over the Skins in 12 years. I had all but given up after the Spurrier debacle.

Now, in his 4th season, we are no better than we were with Spurrier. We have become the Browns of the 2000's. I feel for the young guys who never got to see this franchise when were a serious football team. I fear it's at least 10 years or a new owner away from ever being like that again.

if we dont do something in 5 years, i dont know if i can still be a redskins fan.

i been a fan for over 10+ years, growing up i liked skins.

you would think they would have some improvements in 10 years? but nope nothing

il give em 5 more years then iam gonna move on to a winning team like browns(joke)

I thought we would be a hell of a lot younger.

I think Gibbs' fatal mistake was that he didn't try to "build" anything. It still feels like Snyder's team except with "character" guys. There's really not an unlikable player on this team - which says a lot about Gibbs. There are also a lot of overpaid veterans - which says a lot about Gibbs.

I expected a team filled with Chris Cooleys, instead of a team filled with Philip Danielses.

What I think many of us thought was that this team's front office structure would change, but I don't think any thought that Gibbs would go along with Snyder and Cerrato.

I also thought that Gibbs would adjust to the NFL of today even though he had been away for so long. Overall, this team is just mediocre to maybe average at best with a HOF coach at the helm.

I expected a superbowl win by year 4.

Year One- Gibbs adjusts to modern nfl

Year Two- we have a playoff run

Year Three- We make it nfc championship game

Year Four - we win superbowl

Year Five- we win superbowl and get one for the thumb. Gibbs Retires!

Well that isn't happening or will!

Year Five- Gibbs is no longer head coach and new coach leads us deep into playoffs.

Yep I envisioned a similar plan. Unfortunately, we are still on "year one" of that plan. And I don't think Gibbs is capable of moving on to the next step.

hey dont bother waiting 5 more years. Just leave now. We dont need you as a fan. SO I hear the texans are starting to turn things around. How about you cheer them on. lol

if we dont do something in 5 years, i dont know if i can still be a redskins fan.

il give em 5 more years then iam gonna move on to a winning team like browns(joke)

I expected a plan.

I expected multiple playoff appearances.

I expected a lot of play like the 5-0 run to the playoffs that we had in 2005.

I expected our players to be well prepared for every game.

I expected the team to be set up after 5 years to be turned over to a good coach that'd continue a dominant run.

I expected a youthful, strong team built through the draft.

I just thought after the first year, we'd be in the playoffs every year. . . . . . . . . . . .

This part is what I expected:

Year 1 6-10

Year 2 10-6 playoffs

It's the last two that has gotten me steamed and sickened

Year 3 5-11

Year 4 5-6 and dropping

I never expected a Super Bowl under Gibbs 2, though I sure dreamed of it. But what I did expect him to do is to "right the ship" from an organizational point of view and to turn the Redskins into one of the top organizations in the league. An organization that will be structured to win after he left.

I actually expected his legacy to be the second time around not a 4th Super Bowl win for himself but rather a team that contended and perhaps won a Super Bowl after he left because of the job he did in building the infrastructure of the franchise.

Suffice to say he's failed miserably. The structure of this organization hasn't changed one bit since Gibbs got here. The only difference is that Gibbs inserted himself at the top of the organization. Once he leaves it'll be business as usual for this bunch of losers.

Failure on the field.

Failure in the front office.

Nope, that's certainly not what I was expecting that night nearly 4 years ago.

I had doubts back in 2004 and unfortunately they're still lingering. An owner who doesn't know much about footbal and seems to care much about business, one of the 3 greatests HOF coaches who stayed way too long out of this league and would have better been hired has our GM. I'm very disappointed, but still hailing.

Those of you who "expected a superbowl win" or "multiple wins" were off your rocker. All that you can "EXPECT" is that your teams owner and staff can field a team that will not embarrass you.

I mean thats the way I feel - don't embarrass me to be a fan of your organization and anything can happen right? Not embarrassing us means not losing games you should win, occasionally winning division games, conference games, big games, not making ridiculous and unnecessary trades, taking what other defenses give us, etc... We're getting behind on that schedule and I'm impatient so I can't imagine how you "superbowl guaranteed" people feel... Realistic expectations are still not being met in my world, how sorry I feel for the homerifficly blind.

I thought and still do think that Joe Gibbs was the best person to create a culture for our team that hadn't been seen in a long time...I now just think it should be done from an office and not the field.

We're on our way, I hope that the path stays clear for our young QB and we continue to build the necessary young depth needed to survive in the NFL these days.

I feel sorry for that teams forum. God Bless them trying to read what you say.

Archived