Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On January 7th, 2004, where did you think this team would be now?

SkinsHokieFan

I don't remember Gibbs from his first time around. I had heard people talk him up so much. How great he was at designing an offense, how great his half time adjustment where how he inspired players to perform.

Only one of those three things is still true today. He can still inspire people and he can lead. But he is not a good headcoach anymore. He's like the opposite of Norv. He's a leader of men, someone who inspires people but he doesn't game-plan well and his on the fly adjustments are just well atrocious.

I thought we would be a contender. I thought we would follow the Rams lead by Vermeil. Rebuild for two years and then make a run at the Superbowl in year 3/4.

Oh well, I guess we'll wallow in mediocrity for a few more years and see what happens.

A top tier team maybe?

Yesterday's game was the first I've missed in years. I decided to do something more constructive with my time other than shouting at the TV. I went on the Toys-For-Tots toy ride but kept calling home to check the score, I quit checking in the 3rd quarter because I had that gut feeling that we would find a way to lose, again. I'll be on another ride this coming Sunday. At least I'll be doing something positive instead of watching this team struggle year after year after year...

I'll always be a Redskins fan but I don't have keep putting myself in front of a TV week after week, year after year to be let down time and time again.

The biggest surprise to me was the 2005 season when the Redskins won their last 5 games and made it to the playoffs. Brunel and Moss had great seasons. I thought that was great. However, the team fell to 5-11 the next season. The 2005 season was a lucky fluke.

The younger people in this forum don't realize that Joe Gibbs did NOT rebuild the team when he was hired in 1981. The Team was built by Bobby Beathard. Joe Gibbs was brought in to ONLY run the offense.

In 2004, Gibbs was hired as the Team President and Head Coach.

Gibbs, Snyder and Cerrato don't know the first thing about building a team.

This off season will be filled with quick fixes, short term solutions and signing bonuses in an attempt to plug all the holes. Next season, other holes will open up that the team will need to fill with 3rd rate hacks and castoffs form other teams.

I remember opening up the Washington Posts's web site on the January 8 and reading, to my great surprise, "Gibbs Expected to Return to Redskins". I swear I had tears in my eyes. The dignity, the respect, and the hope that he was going to restore was beyond description. I left work early the next day to watch the press conference announcing his hiring - I wasn't going to miss that. What really excited me was that my three boys would have an opportunity to see what it's like to root for a winning team with a winning coach who was going to establish a winning tradition (something we haven't had here since he left in the early '90's). Almost four years later, I am disappointed, but I still have faith, and I still have hope. On top of that, I still have great amounts of respect for Joe Gibbs. I'm just sorry that he hasn't been able to get this team turned around as we all had envisioned.

Archived