Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It can't be! Dems in bed with Big Business??

aREDSKIN

So much for the canard that Repubs are in the pocket of big business. It's always been about which big business is buying your influence and vote(s).

Here's a little ditty about the Dems solitications and contributors at least for this election cycle.

The late Milton Friedman used to rail against what he called corporate America's "suicidal impulse." By that he meant that the business community continually financed the very politicians who were intent on robbing their profits and slitting their throats.

It's happening again. The latest quarterly Federal Election Commission Report on political giving, released this week, shows the majority of corporate money flowing to the Democrats. Firms like Comcast, General Electric, Federal Express and UPS have shifted campaign giving away from the GOP. Employees of five major defense contractors including Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Northrup-Grumman spent $104,000 on Democratic presidential candidates, versus $88,800 for the Republican field.

Meanwhile, according to FEC data, about 85% of the donations from Roll Call newspaper's top-20 list of corporate lobbyists are helping Ms. Pelosi and Mr. Reid protect and expand their House and Senate majorities. Roll Call calls it a "Democratic donor surge," noting that many of the highest-priced lobbyists already "maxed out"--they've bumped up against the legal limit in how much they are allowed to give the Democrats.

The shift in corporate allegiance helps explain the Democrats' commanding fund-raising lead. The House Democratic money-raising committee had $22 million of cash on hand at the end of August, the Republican committee $1.6 million. With more than $50 million in the bank, Hillary Clinton has as much cash as all the Republican presidential wannabes combined. The FEC report does note that Republicans closed some of the money gap thanks to a surge in small dollar contributions.

This deluge of corporate dollars comes at a time when congressional Democrats aren't the least bit bashful about their agenda. Should they win the White House they'll raise tax rates, pursue a trade protectionist policy under the guise of "fair trade," and enact as much of Big Labor's wish list as they can, from doing away with secret ballots in union certification elections to piling on more labor, environmental and health regulations. "There's almost nothing in the Pelosi/Reid agenda that we favor," one long-time industry government affairs representative tells me. "But we're still giving the bulk of our money to them."

Last spring, Democratic Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus said he wanted to more than double the tax on private equity and hedge-fund managers, which could cost this industry up to $6 billion a year. Yet Wall Street firms, investment banks, and private equity firms are still among the Democrats' most reliable ATMs. Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, JP Morgan Chase, and UBS are all giving about two-thirds of their dollars to Democrats this cycle.

Sen. Charles Schumer runs the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and is playing the role of "good cop" when he dials Wall Street donors. As one hedge-fund manager tells me: "Senator Schumer says on the phone, 'I can make your problems go away.' " Of course, the Democrats created the problems. Mr. Schumer has raised at least $2 million this year from managers at leading PE firms like Carlyle and Blackstone Group.

High-tech companies depend for their existence on policies such as free trade, low capital-gains taxes, a tax-free Internet. But employees at firms like Microsoft, Cisco Systems and IBM give most of their money to the party largely opposed to these policies. In 2006, Google's employees gave 91% of their donations to Democrats.

Silicon Valley givers complain, with justification, about Republicans' lousy record of fiscal restraint, and of their harassment of employers with round-'em-up immigration tactics. More typically these donors say they are uncomfortable with the GOP positions on abortion and gay rights. Do they care so much about those issues that they're willing to jeopardize their jobs and multimillion dollar investment portfolios? For now the answer is yes.

When Republicans were in control, Ms. Pelosi and company denounced the "K Street Project," run by former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay. They protested that corporate lobbyists were allowed to become a fourth branch of government--and in some cases their protests had merit, as Republicans curried favor with money interests.

Meanwhile, Democrats under Rep. Rahm Emanuel and Sen. Schumer have quietly erected their own K Street Project, and employ some of the same strong-arm tactics they once deplored. "I've never felt the squeeze that we're under now to give to Democrats and to hire them," says one telecom industry representative. "They've put out the word that if you have an issue on trade, taxes, or regulation, you'd better be a donor and you'd better not be part of any effort to run ads against our freshmen incumbents."

Why does corporate America go along? The standard excuse is that this is the way the game is played. They've made a calculated decision that Democrats are going to sweep in 2008. Republicans rightly object that corporate interests are making this a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When Republicans took over Congress, the labor bosses didn't climb into bed with them. Unions like the Communications Workers of America and Service Employees International Union have a long track record of giving more than 90% of their dollars to Democrats and have spent millions more on independent campaigns to pound Republicans. Labor seems to understand what corporate America doesn't: It's a policy war, stupid.

So why won't business groups go to the mat for their friends and spend whatever it takes to defeat their enemies? Former Republican House majority leader Dick Armey explains that "the business groups are simply not ideological givers. They give to buy access and to minimize risk."

He's undoubtedly right. And so, if Democrats run the table in 2008, they will have corporate America to thank. But business is living in a fantasy world if they believe this will spare them from what is likely to be one of the most anti-growth agendas that Washington has seen in many decades. Nor should they be spared. When you sell the rope to the hangman, you deserve to have a noose around your neck.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/forms/printThis.html?id=110010753

I was going to respond glibly as is my proclivity but I'd like to speak to the misconception that Democrats are somehow anti-profit and anti-growth. It's such utter horse**** I can't believe I have to talk about it again.

Democratic congresspeople are just as greedy and corrupt as their republican counterparts; they are just as likely to take high-paying jobs with Big Business firms (who are so put upon in this country) when they step down from public office as their republican counterparts; they are just as likely to support legislation that will benefit their benefactors--they are just as likely to suckle at the Corporate teet. From the deregulation of the mass media to the seemingly infinite extensions of copyright protections, the Democrats have proven time and again just how friendly they are to Big Business, and that they do know, after all, who really butters their bread.

Once again the Wall Street Journal editorial page displays astounding ignorance on political matters. Democrats may be gutless, but they are not stupid. They understand that what's good for big business is good for them. They understand that the only way to get elected in this country is saddle up with the folks with all the cash. Furthermore, Big Business is only concerned with one thing, making more money, and you can be damn sure that they are not going to do anything to jeapardize their ability to do just that.

I understand that the average uber-capitalist has difficulties thinking rationally, but this is just getting ridiculous.

I get a kick out of the daily sniping.

Get this people.

Our government is a corporatocracy, set up for the betterment of big businessn and the furtherment of big government. (Which, in case you hadn't noticed, is as much of an industry as any business concern.)

You and I are no more than serfs in perpetual service to our lords.

And the very fact that half of you think one side is better than the other, and the other half thinks the other side is best is enough to make me laugh and cry at the same time.

Is there anything more pathetic than a voluntary slave? How about a voluntary slave who will argue that his master is better than the other master?

Wise up.

~Bang

I'm wondering if, if the D's manage to consolidate power, one of their leadership will publicly announce that it's not going to be business as usual in Washington, any more. That now, if you want "special access", it won't be good enough for you to give money to both sides. Now you'll only get "special access" if you give money to the majority party and not to the other one.

It is amusing. Although it's kind-of like watching the Three Stooges or Road Runner. After you've seen 5 or 6 of them, you realize the plot's always the same.

-----

I also recall hearing a political commentator, about 10 years ago, saying that our political parties were, in effect, still fighting the last war. That the big economic conflict, that's taking place today, isn't the battle between business and labor (which the two major parties are still fighting). It's the battle between small business and big business. (And both parties are on the same side.)

Get this people.

Our government is a corporatocracy, set up for the betterment of big businessn and the furtherment of big government. (Which, in case you hadn't noticed, is as much of an industry as any business concern.)

And the very fact that half of you think one side is better than the other, and the other half thinks the other side is best is enough to make me laugh and cry at the same time.

Is there anything more pathetic than a voluntary slave? How about a voluntary slave who will argue that his master is better than the other master?

Wise up.

~Bang

BEST post ever. :notworthy :notworthy

:cheers: :cheers:

To me, it's not who is getting the donations and how much, but what they do for said donations. Like if they outlaw our seniors from buying perfectly safe generic drugs from Canada after taking a huge donation from American drug companies and appointing thier CEO to a high ranking position.

For a corporation, there is no point in donating to a loser and every poll favors Dems right now for '08.

It is amusing. Although it's kind-of like watching the Three Stooges or Road Runner. After you've seen 5 or 6 of them, you realize the plot's always the same.

-----

I also recall hearing a political commentator, about 10 years ago, saying that our political parties were, in effect, still fighting the last war. That the big economic conflict, that's taking place today, isn't the battle between business and labor (which the two major parties are still fighting). It's the battle between small business and big business. (And both parties are on the same side.)

What's so amusing is that they really believe it, too. They really believe they are on the side of righteousness, the side that has all the answers, the side that will lead us out of these dark times. They really are crusaders trying to spread the Gospel of their Venerable Robber Barons to the lowly savages with rags over their genitals and bones in their lips.

I'm wondering if, if the D's manage to consolidate power, one of their leadership will publicly announce that it's not going to be business as usual in Washington, any more. That now, if you want "special access", it won't be good enough for you to give money to both sides. Now you'll only get "special access" if you give money to the majority party and not to the other one.

I wonder if they go and clean out K street like DeLay did :doh:

As a Democrat, I can unequivocably say that the party has been a fully-owned subsidiary of "big business" since at least 1991 - just like the Republican Party.

The only difference is we occasionally meekly ask for some workers' rights and few envioronmental concessions. And there is some guilt when both requests are denied.

That's all I got.

Tom Delay is running as a democrat?

So much for the canard that Repubs are in the pocket of big business.

LMAO, if you TRULY believe this, you are one blind fool.

Ummm, if the democrats remove competent scientists from their positions and replace them with CEOs of the industry then you might have a point. . .but until I see a lead lobbyist running the EPA, I will think to the contrary.

I don't know how someone that makes cartoons for a living can think of himself as a slave...

Yes it's true that many government actions serve the interest of big business, but I think most of the people involved in politics aren't doing so solely based on the big business vs. everyone else angle. (Heck, some of us make a lot of money working for big business). There are social issues, foreign policy issues, and innumerable other issues that have little or nothing to do with big business. Sometimes peoples' interests will line up exactly with business, for example if you want lower taxes.

Democracy isn't an all-or-nothing game. Just because big business has influence does not mean that other groups don't have any influence. The system isn't perfect, but it's nowhere close to a slave-master relationship.

I don't know how someone that makes cartoons for a living can think of himself as a slave...

Yes it's true that many government actions serve the interest of big business, but I think most of the people involved in politics aren't doing so solely based on the big business vs. everyone else angle. (Heck, some of us make a lot of money working for big business). There are social issues, foreign policy issues, and innumerable other issues that have little or nothing to do with big business. Sometimes peoples' interests will line up exactly with business, for example if you want lower taxes.

Democracy isn't an all-or-nothing game. Just because big business has influence does not mean that other groups don't have any influence. The system isn't perfect, but it's nowhere close to a slave-master relationship.

Big Business may not be the only game in town, but it certainly wields the most power, and has the most access. No, not all politicians are corrupt, and not all rich people are lazy and decadent, but in a nation where the gap between rich and poor widens every day, where the time-honored tradition of subsidizing our most well-to-do citizens continues largely unabated (who in the meantime trumpet a dogmatic form of unregulated capitalism), where our mass media instructs us to venerate the absurdly rich (and assures us that we, too, can be just like them), most of whom parrot around their unsustainable abundance in the form of lavish castles and expensive clothes, most of which has been acquired off the backs of people who will never make in a lifetime the amount of money they make in a single month, or day, it is hard not to see a connection to, if not the relationship of master and slave, then that between medieval feudal lords and the serfs that sustained them.

It's going to be fun hearing Republicans start moaning about Dems taking in tons of donations after they've done it for years.

Now it's sour grapes because Dems are raising enormous amounts of scratch compared to Republicans.

Irony

It's going to be fun hearing Republicans start moaning about Dems taking in tons of donations after they've done it for years.

Now it's sour grapes because Dems are raising enormous amounts of scratch compared to Republicans.

Irony

I find it quite ironic the Dems would be taking money from big business after years of ****ing about it

Politics makes strange bedfellows

I am curious to see what Hillary will do in office with the defense contractor money she has collected

I find it quite ironic the Dems would be taking money from big business after years of ****ing about it

Politics makes strange bedfellows

I am curious to see what Hillary will do in office with the defense contractor money she has collected

They've always taken money from big business. It's just that Republicans have ussually gotten more. Because of that Dems have said the Repubs are in bed with big business.

Now that the tables are turned Republicans are whining.

The Republicans are in a real bad place big business is supporting the anticipated winners.

It looks very possible the Dems will pick up numerous senate, and house seats and gain the presidency.

Big business wants to be on their good side.

They've always taken money from big business. It's just that Republicans have ussually gotten more. Because of that Dems have said the Repubs are in bed with big business.

Now that the tables are turned Republicans are whining.

So the Dems were basically full of it all the years they were whining?

No surprise. You trying to spin this is pretty pathetic

So the Dems were basically full of it all the years they were whining?

No surprise. You trying to spin this is pretty pathetic

It's called politics.

Who you take money can be used against you. Dems criticized Republicans for it.

Now Dems are getting the money and Republicans are criticizing Democrats for it.

It's not spin, it's just the way politics work.

Big business is giving Dems more money now because they want to support the winners. If it looked like Republicans were going to be doing real well they'd be giving money to them.

Even if big business wanted Republicans in power donating to the losing party would help them less than donating to the winning party.

It looks like the Dems will pick up seats in the senate,house and get the presidency.

Which would help big business more. Supporting the G.O.P with a clear minority or helping the party with a clear majority?

The loons that run the Wall Street Journal Op-Ed page seem pretty irate.

"We bought these guys fair and square, and now you want to go supporting their opponents just because you think they are going to win???? How dare you? It's the PRINCIPLE of the thing!!!"

It always amazes me that such a great overall newspaper as the WSJ can have such a nutball op-ed section.

Get this people.

Wise up.

~Bang

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/MENA/mena.html

Here is one example. In football, we talk about having the same team or coaches in place, is the key to winning. We have had the same corupt gov't for 27+ years and it's destroying our nation and the world with it. There is no difference between the Clintons or the Bushs, Kerry is on the same team and the last election didn't even matter. This one won't either. Our gov't is big business and we are just the pawns. We the people are ****ed.

Archived