Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We play football differently than most.

Art

What the Redskins are is a team that largely doesn't exist in the league right now. We are the most physical team you're going to see. Today's game is an example of one that wins another game later. Meaning, if we happen to make the playoffs and the Lions are our opponent, that game ended a few minutes ago.

The Redskins take the life out of teams. They beat them. Knock them around. Make them drag off the field. If a team TAKES those punches AND MAKES a few plays, we're in trouble, because we are still mistake prone. We are SO mistake prone as to dominate a team like we did today and STILL be able to see how much MORE was left out there.

The downside to how we play in today's NFL is players aren't conditioned for it during camp any more. So, we get hamstring issues. Pinched nerves. We beat ourselves up. We did before with Gibbs, but, we always got a second wind and wound up breaking people down with our stamina. I worry slightly about that stamina, but, for now, not so much :).

People mistook what we were going to do defensively when the offseason took place and people wrote stories about how we'd be more aggressive. People thought that to mean more blitzing. It simply meant we will play downhill both up front and in the back. We're not as "dominating" as the 2004 defense which made five or six stuffs a game it seemed, but, this defense is so hyper aggressive while being remarkably passive.

We don't blitz. But, we HIT. The defensive line is allowed to get into people and really has done a nice job this year because our entire design is to get the QB off his mark and that triggers the dump into the zone we're leaving and then we pound forward from the back 7 and knock people around.

Our looping and pressure and force up front is designed to move the QB and it's working. A less arrogant offense will hurt us. They will take what they are given, or, as you saw with Manning, will stick some throws in there and take chances. Martz is arrogant. On so many of the plays if he just made the primary pass the short one he would have forced us to adjust. He just doesn't.

On our safety there's a guy on Kitna's right with Smoot lurking about 10 yards behind him. All he has to do is throw it and it's an 8-yard gain. I love Williams against a guy like Martz. I KIND of worry about this defense against a guy like Gruden because Gruden WILL take the short pass :).

Offensively you really did with Campbell what you should have done all along. You got him confident. You managed how he played and what he had. And Campbell REALLY was hyper accurate. That was, really, the FIRST game he's played you feel he can actually win a game for you. That accuracy and poise will crush people IF we get him into a rhythm.

I liked what Saunders did today. I generally like his offense and feel THIS is what we should be. Short, managed passes. Power running. Take shots deep. For three weeks we seemed to force deep, even if successful. We didn't build to it. Today will open something deep against the Packers because for the first time we put on film a team that will pick you apart short.

We need to get Moss back and ARE is legit out there. I thought we would have done well to get Lloyd in there to start the second half and force him into the equation. But, his career here may just be a few more games before he's cut at the rate he's going. Keenan did a great job of filling the Henry Ellard role for us. That's enough of a threat if Moss and ARE are out there.

The Redskins NEEDED a big victory to get the confidence that it CAN do it. This is the kind of blowout that you build on. Next week is a game most will predict we'll lose. It's our chance to really put our team and our division at the forefront of the NFC.

The way we play, that's certainly possible. If Campbell is that accurate again, it's probable.

Very good post and very true. This really for the first time looked like AS's offense and I hope we continue to grow and build on it. Most importantly hopefully JC will be allowed to continue to grow and build on what he showed today.

Nice summary. I liked how Al Saunders used a 3-4 WR set to spread the field and then would run. The throws were there by Campbell and I don't believe there were any drops. Sellars was a beast and Portis and Betts made due with what the lions gave them. The defense was stout. Williams had a game plan that took the punch out of the lions offense. Great job all around.

Offensively you really did with Campbell what you should have done all along. You got him confident. You managed how he played and what he had. And Campbell REALLY was hyper accurate. That was, really, the FIRST game he's played you feel he can actually win a game for you. That accuracy and poise will crush people IF we get him into a rhythm.

Goosebumps!

:cheers: I really liked Saunders game calling today also!!! I'm sorry to say this but Saunders needs to keep the play calling dutys!!! The giants game to me showed how Al had planed against there weakness and then Gibbs came into the second half and really screwed that one up. Going to be a tuff test next week I hope Saunders plans well.

I agree with you, Art...

Martz is an arrogant playcaller and I knew that he would not stick with the running game. He always has something he thinks he is prooving. He is the reason they (Rams) lost the SB to the Patriots. But like you say, the real test is at Green Bay...

BTW, when is the last time the 'SKins won at GB?

I agree with you about being physical and conditioning.

I wish I had a tape of our last drive against the Fish, week 1, because I actually felt sorry for their D, the way they were staggering around the field. I was literally wondering why their D didn't call a TO, just so they could catch their breath.

I've never really felt that way about a team (other then ours). The feeling that they just didn't have anything left to play with.

Good write up Art, BUT

I do take issue on some of your evaluations.

We FINALLY took the life out of a team. I do not think this one example of a perfect game is a benchmark of who this team is - more so, it is team we could be.

Detroit was an Offense made for us - attack with the line, ignore the run, keep it short. Like you alluded - Martz's arrogance works to our power.

However - they ran well against us. So, is this a one hit wonder win?

The MAJOR positives from the game are:

Jason did well with ARE early, but when that was removed, he lost that comfort zone. With wonderful results. He had to use the personnel on the field - Grade - A

Unique play call - as a fan, I try to call our plays pre-snap. Three direct snaps to CP? Slants? Direct to Beast? I was off-center. This is Pro NFL.

No blitz? - Did not have to. Dre' was the second beast on the field.

:2cents:

:helmet: The Rook

I'm with you Art. We left a lot of points out there on the field today. Missed opportunities to pick up fumbles. Penalties with we did make an INT. This team is either on the verge or the Lions aren't very good. It's too early to tell.

I completely agree with you on your point about Martz. He didn't change a THING except he ran a little more on one or two drives in the 2nd half. Otherwise here wasn't nothing he could do. He was getting OWNED.

If we can win next week.... my GOD! I'm going to enjoy this win until about Wednesday. Then I'm going to get ready for the Packers.

I'll tell you one thing - we play like this, we can and will beat ANY team in the league. That being said, today was near perfection and asking it for it to happen week in and out is asking for too much. Great win.

This game makes me want to change the Dennis Green quote to be, "The Lions are who we thought they were!"

A one dimensional team will have a hard time beating our defense....and our team does better when the weight is more on Campbell than our other offensive stars.

I've been riding JC hard because I needed to see a game like this.

I was very pleased with his play. He had a good game. I know some people will point out how awful the Detroit defense is, but that doesn't matter. To be a good qb, he needs to have commanding performances against bad teams. He had that today. And it probably did a lot for his confidence, which had to be shaky.

So cheers to JC. Let's see it again next week!

Funny you say that because it had appeared that they leaned more onto the passing game this time around which is saying alot without voice pitches.

Detroit is gonna have to find some O-linemen and a running game if they want to compete in many more games because Williams just gave the league a perfect blueprint to defuse that passing game.

As for our defense; O that we got to play an offensive line as woeful as that one every week. Unfortunately, that isn't gonna happen.

Campbell was extraordinary and Saunders play-calling was inspired. Hats off to the offense.

God, I love Sellars!

:helmet:

Make no mistake, Joe Gibbs has put together the type of team that wins in the swirling winds and freezing rain and stinging cold of the Northeast United States in November and December.

It's no wonder his record is what it is in November, while finesse teams that put up the big fantasy numbers on 75 degree partly-cloudy days thru Sep and Oct fold like a cheap suit down the stretch. :)

THAT, more than anything, is what gets me excited about this team. Because I don't think we're clicking yet, and I don't think we are even close to playing our best football.

Great highlights Art. I've been telling people this all year that we play football differently than most teams in the NFL today. It reminds you of the teams from the 80's and early 90's. Aggressive ball control offense, lead by a stingy defense.

I'm very optimistic about our matchups against Green Bay Dallas and New England. We play physical on both sides of the ball and as you mentioned "wear teams down"!! They arnt used to playing teams like this.

Great highlights Art. I've been telling people this all year that we play football differently than most teams in the NFL today. It reminds you of the teams from the 80's and early 90's. Aggressive ball control offense, lead by a stingy defense.

I'm very optimistic about our matchups against Green Bay Dallas and New England. We play physical on both sides of the ball and as you mentioned "wear teams down"!! They arnt used to playing teams like this.

Honestly, I'm torn about how we play. I love the style and when it works it's a remarkable thing to watch. We really punch people and teams have fight in them but seem to whither against us. Even the Giants were on the way out, but simply made some perfect plays and took it from us.

My worry is we aren't really a beefy team built for this. We're a fast, athletic team. For us to play this way, I'd both like our roster to be bigger than other rosters and our team to practice this way in August. Remember, the Hogs were HUGE for their day. We were a big, robust team back in the day. We're now built for speed and play like we're the biggest, baddest boys on the block.

It works better for us defensively because with our speed we are so sudden. Offensively, I really think we're better built for a different style than we go for, but, we'll see.

Archived