Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We play football differently than most.

Art

I loved this win and it couldn't have come at a better time. I was extremely nervous pregame wondering which Lions team would show up and which skins team would show up. Seeing this performance makes it a little easier to dismiss that 2nd half collapse two weeks ago.....However, I still think we need to build on this alot.

Don't forget that the Offense didn't put up alot of points in the 2nd half. 7 came from Rogers pick at the end and a field goal off another INT I believe.

I hope they can get some confidence from all the good out there today and keep building consistency. We'll need it down the stretch.

All in all, great win, good performance all around and let's keep it rollin'

My worry is we aren't really a beefy team built for this. We're a fast, athletic team. For us to play this way, I'd both like our roster to be bigger than other rosters and our team to practice this way in August. Remember, the Hogs were HUGE for their day. We were a big, robust team back in the day. We're now built for speed and play like we're the biggest, baddest boys on the block.

This is a really good point and I think that you are seeing the coaching staff understand this. With our O-line in tact we were able to be much more imposing and keep our backs fresh utilizing CP and LB.

Now, we're not a power running team, we still rely on it heavily but we need to use a mix of run/pass more so than week 1 or 2. I think Al has convinced Joe of that and the results are very good. Look for us to keep working in the short outs and slants with the run and occasional deep ball.

This is who we are. need to be!

agree with your last post Art. Do you think this is an offense that can impose its will...in Dec/Jan...on the better/best defenses?

That's easy.

Yes if Campbell is for real. No if he isn't. It's that simple. Campbell extends plays and makes up for negative plays against us. If he gets more consistent we can handle anyone, any game. I think we do our best against the type of defenses that are designed to dominate. Our offensive line doesn't lose many up front battles against teams who are supposed to be great. That's one thing we have going for us.

I agree with most everything, but today was really an exception for our d-line. We dont consistantly get pressure with the front 4 like we did today.

Actually, yeah, this year we have. We've done great getting the QB off the spot much of this season. If a QB moves the defense has an advantage and we're moving the QB more than most teams right now.

Actually, yeah, this year we have. We've done great getting the QB off the spot much of this season. If a QB moves the defense has an advantage and we're moving the QB more than most teams right now.
Yeah, our D-line was able to get pressure in '05 ... When Cornelius Griffin was on top of his game, he controlled the line and Philip Daniels had some multi-sack games.

Andre Carter was able to get pressure in stretches towards the end of last season while everyone else was banged up.

Now, with Cornelius Griffin, Philip Daniels, AND Andre Carter (with an improving Montgomery), there's every reason to believe that our D-line can play at a high level every game.

I think we've shown flashes, but I wouldnt describe them as dominant. Except for maybe Carter. He is turning into a pure monster rushing the passer.

I think we've shown flashes, but I wouldnt describe them as dominant. Except for maybe Carter. He is turning into a pure monster rushing the passer.

Depends what you're hoping to accomplish. We hope to make a QB move off his drop. EVERY time that happens, we've "won" the play by design. It's the entire goal of what we do. We do specific games up front to make that happen. That is often more important than a hit or a sack. If you watch most games, few teams have shown themselves as consistently able to move the QB off his drop and we've blitzed less than anyone I've seen this year.

\If a team TAKES those punches AND MAKES a few plays, we're in trouble, because we are still mistake prone. We are SO mistake prone as to dominate a team like we did today and STILL be able to see how much MORE was left out there.

The downside to how we play in today's NFL is players aren't conditioned for it during camp any more. So, we get hamstring issues. Pinched nerves. We beat ourselves up. We did before with Gibbs, but, we always got a second wind and wound up breaking people down with our stamina. I worry slightly about that stamina, but, for now, not so much :).

I liked what Saunders did today. I generally like his offense and feel THIS is what we should be. Short, managed passes. Power running. Take shots deep. For three weeks we seemed to force deep, even if successful. We didn't build to it. Today will open something deep against the Packers because for the first time we put on film a team that will pick you apart short.

We need to get Moss back and ARE is legit out there. I thought we would have done well to get Lloyd in there to start the second half and force him into the equation. But, his career here may just be a few more games before he's cut at the rate he's going. Keenan did a great job of filling the Henry Ellard role for us. That's enough of a threat if Moss and ARE are out there.

The Redskins NEEDED a big victory to get the confidence that it CAN do it. This is the kind of blowout that you build on. Next week is a game most will predict we'll lose. It's our chance to really put our team and our division at the forefront of the NFC.

Art,

I cut your post up and included the paragraphs i really agree with.

We are an very physicall team and your point on the injuries is on point. I cannot say it better.

Your point about our mistakes is on point, i tried to say this in my thread today but you said it better.

ARE is playing with a chip on his shoulder and i love it.

What you say about the packers game is dead on. If we win we are 4-1 and the packers are 4-2. IF we lose we are 3-2 and back in the pile of average teams.

Lets go skins.

Ps in my Naysayer part 1, i said AC wasnt playing great, you said he was doing a fine job. You were correct, he is playing out of his mind and i will eat crow on that ALL DAY LONG, I LOVE IT.

On our safety there's a guy on Kitna's right with Smoot lurking about 10 yards behind him. All he has to do is throw it and it's an 8-yard gain. I love Williams against a guy like Martz. I KIND of worry about this defense against a guy like Gruden because Gruden WILL take the short pass :).

I think there was a good point in NBC's analysis of the Jets-Giants game. They made the point that an offense needs to make a big play, that you can't expect a team to continuously just dink and dunk down the field consistently.

This is what Williams is betting on, that you won't be able to play little ball consistently enough to win the game. It happened that the Giants were good enough two weeks ago.

Jason

I think there was a good point in NBC's analysis of the Jets-Giants game. They made the point that an offense needs to make a big play, that you can't expect a team to continuously just dink and dunk down the field consistently.

This is what Williams is betting on, that you won't be able to play little ball consistently enough to win the game. It happened that the Giants were good enough two weeks ago.

Jason

I don't disagree, but, remember, I remember Lynn and Nolan. Norv Turner REQUIRED his defensive coordinators to give up certain things based on the premise no team would have the patience to actually take it all game. On the occasions they did, we got WRECKED. IT SUCKED.

Now, Williams will adjust in such situations so I'm less worried about him and there's still a difference with us as to a Nolan or Lynn defense in that we will take your heart out now and then feed it to you. Still, this defense just increases my pucker factor, because, if I am coaching against us, all I do is throw 5 yard passes all day. I never stop. I never get impatient. I go 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5....etc.....until over.

Still it's correct to say much of the league lacks that willingness.

I don't disagree, but, remember, I remember Lynn and Nolan. Norv Turner REQUIRED his defensive coordinators to give up certain things based on the premise no team would have the patience to actually take it all game. On the occasions they did, we got WRECKED. IT SUCKED.

Now, Williams will adjust in such situations so I'm less worried about him and there's still a difference with us as to a Nolan or Lynn defense in that we will take your heart out now and then feed it to you. Still, this defense just increases my pucker factor, because, if I am coaching against us, all I do is throw 5 yard passes all day. I never stop. I never get impatient. I go 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5....etc.....until over.

Take what the defense gives you, that the old saying. However if our D is getting pressure with the front 4, there wont be much to take.

You can call it all day, but you still need to execute, and this defense is about getting an offense out of their comfort zones. Also, they do tighten up on short yardage and in the end zone.

It is also more difficult if you are behind, which increases the chance of a mistake that can turn into a turnover.

Jason

You can call it all day, but you still need to execute, and this defense is about getting an offense out of their comfort zones. Also, they do tighten up on short yardage and in the end zone.

It is also more difficult if you are behind, which increases the chance of a mistake that can turn into a turnover.

Jason

Thats the key. If we can get ahead and play solid D it is over, that is why the Giants game was so surprising but we saw nothing like it today. God we looked good. I loved it.

I agree, Greg Williams said himself that the defenses plan is to let teams complete short passes and then come up and hit them as hard as they can, knock them around. Its why you see defenders going for players instead of going for the ball, when most teams get interceptions. Its why you wont see this defense get turnovers like other really good defenses. Its not a defense designed to create plays. Its a defense designed to hurt.

I also agree that GW can get away with these schemes against certain coaches, and certainly ones that are very one dimensional allow a good scheming coach to really exploit things. However what happens when you go up against an offense that isnt quite so predictable? Thats a concern for the future. If you didnt notice, Greg Williams had so little respect for the Lions ever running the ball, that on 2 and 5, on the OPENING drive for the Lions, he had Daniels move inside to DT, and Washington was rushing the edge. 2nd and 5. I have never seen that before in my life. Next week he may be able to do similar things against the packers, a team that lacks a running game, and relies heavily on WR slants. Thats another one dimensional attack that GW can gameplan for. The NE game will definately be another matter.

Its a unique defense for sure, but can we keep up with it? Punishing a team is great, and it probobly puts them in a bad spot for FUTURE games they play, but meanwhile our team builds up injuries worse than any opponent of ours(they only face the punishing hits at most twice a season, we take the blows 16 games). Will we have further injury problems this year? Only time will tell.

Everybodies gonna pick us to lose against Green Bay. Funny thing is, all those people are jumping on the undefeated Green Bay bandwagon. Just a few short weeks ago, everyone was picking Philly to beat GB. Now all of a sudden the Packers are the greatest thing since sliced bread. The Packers have won simply because they are scrappers like us. Unfortunately for them, we're better than they are!!

The biggest problem with this strategy isnt just that you can move the ball taking those underneath passes. The problem is that the running game becomes highly effective as well when you move the ball in this manner because the LB's are taking quick steps back instead of forward. Usually running plays that develop quickly are the most effective coming straight up the gut.

Our style works best when playing with the lead. Its very hard for teams to score on us quickly and they pay dearly for the quick outs and slants. Really, its up to our offense to put enough points up so our D can sit back and tee off.

We've all felt that there is something special about JC and today he really showed his potential. He was not just making good decisions but was acurate as hell. If he does that consistently we can compete with anyone!

Goosebumps!
:applause: Perfect one word description of Campbell's performance GSF.

Watching him step up into the pocket and scramble around, buying time and going through his progressions while doing all of this, absolutely gave me "goosebumps."

Campbell looked like a savy ol veteran at times out there. Did he even take a hit yesterday? :)

BTW, did anyone else notice how Detroit was having to double team Montgomery? Didn't a teammate compare him to a certain probowler last season? He was saying that Mongomery (when going all out) reminded him of someone?

Great post Art. I loved the physical brand of football we played today, but its hard to stamp us with that nasty, hard nosed defense tag yet. If we string a few games like this together, show some consistency, then I will truly feel more confident about this team. We definitely have the talent to do it, but we still need to gel as a unit and be consistent. Play calling was pretty good all game, except for a few blotches. I'm tired of the QB sneaks, when we have Sellars running all over people and CP back there. Also, I didn't like the direct snap nonsense. Those are high risk, low reward plays that we can do without. I just want us to keep doing what is working. We were successful running through the tackles, so keep doing it. All in all, we had a helluva day and if we play with this intensity next week, the Redskins will be tough to beat.

Everybodies gonna pick us to lose against Green Bay. Funny thing is, all those people are jumping on the undefeated Green Bay bandwagon.

They lost. I'm sure that some will still pick them since the game is at GB though.

Favre will be the perfect QB to test this defense if we can get a lead on them. He can't be patient with the short stuff and might throw several picks. :D

Archived