Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saddest scene in a movie

.Guy.

The climax to Saving Private Ryan where most of the squad gets killed. Especially Sgt Horvak and Capt Miller.

I second the Saving Private Ryan...but different scene. The end of the movie when Private Ryan turns to his wife and says "Tell me I've been a good man, tell me I lived a good life"....tear jerker....

as a kid i saw some movie about an alien arriving in a small town in the middle of america. the alien came in peace and made friends with a kid. the townsfolk thought the alien wanted to take over and tried to kill it. the town ended up using the kid as bait to draw the alien out, as it came to them, they shot him. the alien couldn't comprehend what was happening but it had a smile on his face and was eager to see his friend. the alien dropped dead a few feet from the boy.

Don't know about "the" saddest, but one that's not been metioned yet:

Dead Poet's Society ... when Todd Anderson (Ethan Hawke) is told of his friend/roommate Neil Perry's (Robert Leonard) death, he breaks down, tears away from his friends attempts at comfort and runs off into the snow, calling Neil's name.

"Let him go ..."

Ouch.

I second the Saving Private Ryan...but different scene. The end of the movie when Private Ryan turns to his wife and says "Tell me I've been a good man, tell me I lived a good life"....tear jerker....

Yeah that's a hell of a scene. But the one that immediately comes to mind is from Schindler's List (which is a horribly sad movie to begin with):

Oskar Schindler: I could have got more out. I could have got more. I don't know. If I'd just... I could have got more.

Itzhak Stern: Oskar, there are eleven hundred people who are alive because of you. Look at them.

Oskar Schindler: If I'd made more money... I threw away so much money. You have no idea. If I'd just...

Itzhak Stern: There will be generations because of what you did.

Oskar Schindler: I didn't do enough!

Itzhak Stern: You did so much.

[schindler looks at his car]

Oskar Schindler: This car. Goeth would have bought this car. Why did I keep the car? Ten people right there. Ten people. Ten more people.

[removing Nazi pin from lapel]

Oskar Schindler: This pin. Two people. This is gold. Two more people. He would have given me two for it, at least one. One more person. A person, Stern. For this.

[sobbing]

Oskar Schindler: I could have gotten one more person... and I didn't! And I... I didn't!

and then of course where they are putting the stones on his grave.

Think I'll go with Forrest Gump too.

There's a similar scene in Patch Adams....I have NEVER heard so many sniffs and quiet sobs in a theater before....

Are we including TV scenes in this?

This would have to make the list:

Good acting...by Will Smith!?

i saw this as a kid and i was on the floor rolling....kinda ironic since i grew up without by bio father.

as an adult, it makes a lot more sense.

as a kid i saw some movie about an alien arriving in a small town in the middle of america. the alien came in peace and made friends with a kid. the townsfolk thought the alien wanted to take over and tried to kill it. the town ended up using the kid as bait to draw the alien out, as it came to them, they shot him. the alien couldn't comprehend what was happening but it had a smile on his face and was eager to see his friend. the alien dropped dead a few feet from the boy.
Wasn't that called Aurora Encounter or something?

My Life: Michael Keaton.... the end of the movie scene when he's rolled out onto the rear porch and the circus is there... Uuuugghhh!!

Message in a Bottle: Costner is killed in the storm helping others.... and Newman narrates what happened to Robin Wright Penn.

JFK... Costner's 13 minute closing argument...... done all in one take.

Several scenes in Gump... including when Gump tells Jenny he's going to Vietnam.

Actually, the scene in Forrest Gump that gets me, now that I'm a parent, is when his mom is dying and she says "I didn't know it, but I was destined to be your mama. I did the best I could." I think of that line all the time nowadays when I look at my kids. It's so true.

Well ... except that I'm a dad. :):silly:

Archived