Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Minnesota Girl's Intestine Ripped Out By Pool Drain

CandaceM23

http://www.nbc4.com/health/13626625/detail.html?dl=mainclick

MINNEAPOLIS -- A 6-year-old girl from Edina, Minn., survived after sitting over an open drain in a wading pool and having most of her small intestine sucked out of her body.

Abigail Taylor sat over an open drain hole in a wading pool at the Minneapolis Golf Club last Friday. According to a posting by her family on the Caring Bridge Web site, the drain's powerful suction tore out part of her intestinal tract. (The posting had been removed from the site as of this writing.)

According to WCCO-TV in Minneapolis, the girl's father, Scott Taylor, said the suction from the uncovered drain ripped a two-inch tear in her rectum and "basically disemboweled her by pulling out her small intestine, almost all of it."

Abigail now has a permanent colostomy and will have to be fed intravenously for the rest of her life.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission says "the suction from a pool drain can be so powerful that it can hold an adult under water, but most entrapment incidents involve children."

I'm going to assume that the entire large intestine was pulled out as well.... considering the rectum is attached to the large intestine and would probably be the first part to come out...

That's still sad though. I can't even begin to imagine what she went through.

Wow, this sounds exactly the same as John Edwards's last big case before running for the Senate:

The defining case in Edwards' legal career wrapped up that same year. In 1993, a five-year-old girl named Valerie Lakey had been playing in a Wake County, N.C., wading pool when she became caught in an uncovered drain so forcefully that the suction pulled out most of her intestines. She survived but for the rest of her life will need to be hooked up to feeding tubes for 12 hours each night. Edwards filed suit on the Lakeys' behalf against Sta-Rite Industries, the Wisconsin corporation that manufactured the drain. Attorneys describe his handling of the case as a virtuoso example of a trial layer bringing a negligent corporation to heel. Sta-Rite offered the Lakeys $100,000 to settle the case. Edwards passed. Before trial, he discovered that 12 other children had suffered similar injuries from Sta-Rite drains. The company raised its offer to $1.25 million. Two weeks into the trial, they upped the figure to $8.5 million. Edwards declined the offer and asked for their insurance policy limit of $22.5 million. The day before the trial resumed from Christmas break, Sta-Rite countered with $17.5 million. Again, Edwards said no. On January 10, 1997, lawyers from across the state packed the courtroom to hear Edwards' closing argument, "the most impressive legal performance I have ever seen," recalls Dayton. Three days later, the jury found Sta-Rite guilty and liable for $25 million in economic damages (by state law, punitive damages could have tripled that amount). The company immediately settled for $25 million, the largest verdict in state history. For their part, Edwards and Kirby earned the Association of Trial Lawyers of America's national award for public service.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0110.green.html

I wonder if it's the same kind of drain.

Wow, this sounds exactly the same as John Edwards's last big case before running for the Senate:

The defining case in Edwards' legal career wrapped up that same year. In 1993, a five-year-old girl named Valerie Lakey had been playing in a Wake County, N.C., wading pool when she became caught in an uncovered drain so forcefully that the suction pulled out most of her intestines. She survived but for the rest of her life will need to be hooked up to feeding tubes for 12 hours each night. Edwards filed suit on the Lakeys' behalf against Sta-Rite Industries, the Wisconsin corporation that manufactured the drain. Attorneys describe his handling of the case as a virtuoso example of a trial layer bringing a negligent corporation to heel. Sta-Rite offered the Lakeys $100,000 to settle the case. Edwards passed. Before trial, he discovered that 12 other children had suffered similar injuries from Sta-Rite drains. The company raised its offer to $1.25 million. Two weeks into the trial, they upped the figure to $8.5 million. Edwards declined the offer and asked for their insurance policy limit of $22.5 million. The day before the trial resumed from Christmas break, Sta-Rite countered with $17.5 million. Again, Edwards said no. On January 10, 1997, lawyers from across the state packed the courtroom to hear Edwards' closing argument, "the most impressive legal performance I have ever seen," recalls Dayton. Three days later, the jury found Sta-Rite guilty and liable for $25 million in economic damages (by state law, punitive damages could have tripled that amount). The company immediately settled for $25 million, the largest verdict in state history. For their part, Edwards and Kirby earned the Association of Trial Lawyers of America's national award for public service.

Wow. How many lives ruined? :doh: :mad::mad::mad:

this is wrong on so many levels... but there was a story I read a few years ago by the author of Fight Club. It's called Guts. I never actually thought that this could happen in real life.

When he was on a book tour, he would read this story to his audience and it was garaunteed that at least 5 people would pass out as he read the story. It's actually a short story in a book of many shorts he released. Not sure what the book is called.

DO NOT read this if you have a weak stomach... and morals.

Guts by Chuck Palahniuk |www.seizureandy.com/stuff/guts.html

this is wrong on so many levels... but there was a story I read a few years ago by the author of Fight Club. It's called Guts. I never actually thought that this could happen in real life.

When he was on a book tour, he would read this story to his audience and it was garaunteed that at least 5 people would pass out as he read the story. It's actually a short story in a book of many shorts he released. Not sure what the book is called.

Read this story a while back--it's from a collection of short stories called "Haunted." The fictional story was hilarious-this story is not, however.

Sounds like a short story by Fight Club author Chuck Palahniuk that was published in Playboy a few years ago.
Looks like someone just jumped straight into the thread without reading the other posts ;) :

please don't ban me.

This is probably one of the worst things I've heard in a very long time. Not only must that single event been extremely traumatic as it happened, but to permanently damage the girl to the point where she can't even live a normal, healthy life anymore....wow. I thought I had heard it with the Six Flags story, but this one tops that even. Just horrible.

yea, don't know if its the same, but it really does sound identical. If it is the same, it just goes to show that these corrupt lawyers are putting hard working businesses out of business.... or not

Archived