Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who do you want to lead your nation?

NattyLight

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

OPTION (Sorry I counted wrong) Religious Messenger

What predominant character type do you believe a leader must possess to provide the US with the best chance of prospering as a world power the longest?

Please provide a reason if you do choose to vote. If you believe "Other" do not vote and please specify the character type and elaborate.

I've voted thinker / philosopher, basis to follow shortly.

I want Oprah. She'll defeat terrorism by getting bin Laden to have a good cry over his painful childhood.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I might actually take another four years of Dubya over Oprah.

In seriousness though, I chose thinker/philosopher, but also someone who is a historian with more emphasis on military history. Many people of the philosopher type usually have some grasp on economics and rational ways of thought, but when you add in someone with a good grasp of military history, entailing relations as well, that would be ideal.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I might actually take another four years of Dubya over Oprah.

In seriousness though, I chose thinker/philosopher, but also someone who is a historian with more emphasis on military history. Many people of the philosopher type usually have some grasp on economics and rational ways of thought, but when you add in someone with a good grasp of military history, entailing relations as well, that would be ideal.

Sounds like a vote for Newt Gingrich;)

None of the above;

I want all of the choices working for someone who is a premier discerner. Because, the job of Presidency is not a matter of being skilled in one area or another like those listed, instead it is a job where the person must be able to listen to all of the voices from those gifted in the areas listed and then with wise discernment chose the best course of action.

So I choose discernment.

Thinker / Philosopher: deal with the ideals/abstract and rarely get to the concrete.

Scientist: deal with the concrete and rarely wrestle with the ideals

Politician: are about getting and staying elected, they are good a manipulation of public opinion to suit their own ends.

Capitalist / Business Man: knowing what works in business does not make one qualified to understand what works on the international, and domestic scene.

Military Officer: follow orders, to a T every officer follows the orders of another, even if they make subsequent orders to junior officers they are still doing so because of the orders given to them, and this goes right up the line to the Joint Chiefs. They follow orders, they do not create them.

Nominate? As Supreme Ruler, can't you just say, "I decree you are now known as Secretary of Defense" or something like that?

Well of course I could. But I believe a motivated volunteer with strategic carte blanche is the way to go. If he screws up, I'm sure there's a post in the north of Alaska that can use an upgrade in leadership.

I guess nobody else wants to admit they want a politician? :whoknows:

Well I want a politician. I don't want someone that thinks they have all the answers. I want someone willing to put their agenda aside to make compromises and someone who pays attention to what the people want - a true public servant.

I think the problems come when politicians think they are great thinker/philosophers or military leaders or capitalists - those roles are best played by professionals, while the politician is best suited to take ideas from those different fields and turning them into public policy.

It's no coincidence that the vast majority of our leaders are politicians (and even if they come from somewhere else they quickly become politicians). In a democracy with many different voices and interests, politicians simply make the best leaders.

Well I want a politician. I don't want someone that thinks they have all the answers. I want someone willing to put their agenda aside to make compromises and someone who pays attention to what the people want - a true public servant.

I count 7 condradictions in that sentence. :laugh:

Archived